Is anyone REALLY sad about their offspring starting school?

(89 Posts)
YesAnastasia Sun 01-Sep-13 21:45:01

I am. Is anyone else?

dingit Mon 02-Sep-13 07:53:18

My df said 'you will lose her once she starts school'. That was 10 years ago. I did. hmm

YesAnastasia Mon 02-Sep-13 07:56:38

I do like the idea of home schooling. I have always found that children who don't go to school don't have as many hang ups and they think in a refreshingly different way (I could be generalising). I still think you can cultivate this in your child when they go to school but it's much harder.

I know I wouldn't have the support of my family if I did either, we don't know anyone who currently does it and they are all for going with the flow. Heaven forbid the child is different.

HepsibarCrinkletoes Mon 02-Sep-13 07:59:05

I am too, definitely. She is my fourth child, and last, and I'm really going to miss her.

It's funny, as when my other three started school I didn't feel like this, rather it was exciting for me and them. It's a long time since I've done a first day in reception, as DDs 1 and 2 are now at university, and DS is starting In sixth form today.

She, on the other hand, is excited for Wednesday. I strongly suspect I may be trying very hard to hold back the tears. It's the end of an era that I'll never have again, so i guess I'm mourning the loss of that rather than her starting school iykwim?

<kids self>

It was worse with my 2nd (youngest) DC, as that really was the end of an era. But, she did half days for a month and we had some lovely times together in those afternoons, it was a special time. Mine are going into Yrs 3 and 5 now and I still feel a little sad every September. I love having the house to myself on my non work days though.

BoffinMum Mon 02-Sep-13 08:00:18

Hepsibah, me too sad <sob>

LondonNinja Mon 02-Sep-13 08:00:32

Oh gosh. This thread is making me well up! DD starts next year and I'm already feeling the days slipping by. We have just a year and I know I will weep for missing her.

I feel your pain OP and others in the same boat. Just remember to ficus on that bond you have. You're their rock and a pair of warm, loving arms when the school day ends.

LondonNinja Mon 02-Sep-13 08:01:59

Focus, even!

GrassIsntGreener Mon 02-Sep-13 08:02:25

I think I'm okay. My girl is my eldest and is just so ready and so excited. The fact she's so excited helps, as does also having a baby at home I'm sure.

I think any tears will be pride, I am so proud of her. Oh god I'm welling up. I'm going to cry aren't I? blush

BoffinMum Mon 02-Sep-13 08:02:53

You have set me off, you lot. <big sob>

HepsibarCrinkletoes Mon 02-Sep-13 08:03:04

Actually, yes, I agree. My other three are September, October and November born, with under the years between all three, so I was probably rather keen for the one less child wotnot winkgrin by the time they each started!

Dd3 is not five until next year, so I don't feel that I've 'had' her for as long as I did with the others.

<still kids self>

HepsibarCrinkletoes Mon 02-Sep-13 08:04:40

<howling>

You rotters.

I wasn't upset when my pfb started two years ago but now my youngest is starting it does feel more odd. I'm not as certain that school will suit him as muchsad and TBH I'm a bit worried he is still going to strip naked every time he goes to the toilet. can't bear the idea he might get the piss taken out of him

Oh gawd I thought it was just me.
Ive cried and cried already.
Was ok when dd started as I still had my baby needing me.
Now my baby ds is off. Noooo. Hes my mate, we have had such fun, joined at the hip for the last 4 years.

Ttc #3 grin

GrassIsntGreener Mon 02-Sep-13 08:10:21

Oh Moaning sad I think that in reception class there are many children with their own 'quirks' and the others don't think anything of it to be honest. Teachers are on guard for it, they expect it.

My daughter still often calls me when she does a poo bless her. So she's going to have to manage at school.

HepsibarCrinkletoes Mon 02-Sep-13 08:10:24

Aw Moaning - in Reception I have always found that half the kids (including two of my own) pretty much do that and no one flinches. They will soon pick it up when they see lots of their peers managing.

I can't wait for this new stage to start - I'm really excited!

vix206 Mon 02-Sep-13 08:16:37

My DS was born on 31 August so I'm feeling very hard done by and cheated out of that year with him. He is starting preschool this September (every afternoon) and I'm dreading it. Next September will be so much worse.

Luckily he's quite grown up for his age and ready for it I think. DC2 due in January so hoping this will help ease my sadness. I know it's only afternoons but its the end of our free and easy time together and the start of losing him to school. sad

Growlithe Mon 02-Sep-13 08:17:31

Well I'll go against te flow here. I've been so happy for my two DDs to start school (youngest started last September).

I love the fact that the foundation we have given them now allows them to go off without us (within a safe and supportive environment) and be confident with other adults and their peers.

I love the fact that they can make their own genuine friendships, not just be forced to hang out with the children of my own friends, and who I feel would be a good friend for them. An extention of this is, young as they were, they managed to steer clear of the obvious PITAs within the class.

This is their next step. The start of their independence. For me it's so exciting, much more so than other milestones reached. This shows that we have made a real proper individual person. smile

shelley72 Mon 02-Sep-13 08:18:23

This was me a year ago. Just about kept it together to drop off pfb before sobbing outside. he's now about to go into year one and is so excited to go back to school --and tbh I need the break, it's been a long summer hols--but I still feel like crying. Every year he is getting bigger and closer to the time he leaves home and he's just growing up too fast sad.

This time next year however dd1 will be due to start and I know will feel much worse. She's just too little, and not ready at all. She also has speech problems and can't bear the thought of other children laughing at her. Seriously considering delaying her start.

Sorry not v helpful am i, but you're definitely not alone!

YesAnastasia Mon 02-Sep-13 08:18:31

Mine's an August baby so I honestly feel like he's too young.

TBH I went through this with nursery but the feeling didn't go away, it never felt right with the school & teachers etc and in the end I took him out (best decision). This time, it's a different school & I love it - everything's done completely differenly (and better) and I don't have the extra worry. But even so, I'm devastated. Little things like lunch time & toilet time freak me out. Mine stays clothed Moaning but I'm sure yours will in front of classmates.

I do have DS2 at home still though...

YesAnastasia Mon 02-Sep-13 08:22:14

I wish I was this confident in my own parenting growlithe

I am happy that he is happy. He told the Clarks lady that he's going to look so smart with his new shoes & tie. If he didn't want to go I'd find it all the more difficult.

Doesn't get any easier. DD1 is going into year one tomorrow and I think I'm worse than I was last year. Agree with whoever said it was like losing a friend. I still have my 19mo at home and although she's gorgeous and chatty it's not quite the same yet!

We managed the wobbles by going out for lunch together after the first morning when dd1 started. Did the same for dd2, but seemed mean to leave dd1 out so took her out for just the lunch hour, was military operation to get her to restaurant & back, but all her friends were jealous of her! Will be springing both of them when ds starts, but have another year yet. Sept born and youngest of three I don't think he'll have a problem. Plan some nice things to do in the morning as a treat for yourself if you're off and something nice to do when you pick them up. In the longer term the three options seem to be get a job(or more hours)/baby/dog!

utterlyashamedofmyself Mon 02-Sep-13 08:29:09

My pfb starts reception on Thursday & I was looking forward to it & then it hit me the other day that my 4 year old is starting full time school sad I think im going to be a wreck when I take him .

Though he does look exceptionally cute in his little shirt and tie

vix206 Mon 02-Sep-13 08:30:27

Growlithe that's how I think of it when I'm bit thinking about myself, if that makes sense. It is exciting, and I do feel we've given DS everything he needs to go out I to the world.... But I can't deny that the flip side of this is that I will miss my time with my wonderful (pfb) creation smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now