any thoughts on a independent primary school in woking-guildford area?

(21 Posts)
woking123 Mon 19-Aug-13 12:13:52

Hi all,
First I want to apologise if it was already discussed here the same question.
My dd is 3y and 8months old and next years she will start school(reception).
I am getting crazy looking for a good independent primary school in Woking-Guildford area. We are living in Woking, but working in Guildford so we're looking for something easy to reach.
The problem is she's shy with people who she doesn't know. After she get comfortamble with the person/s she will not stop talking.
We were thinking, in this order, of:
1.guildford highschool
2. tormead
3.hoebridge
4.st. andrews

I don't know if she'll pass the assessments for GHS and Tormead being shy.
Can you give us some thoughts about these ones or something else in the area(5 miles radius)?
Thank you all.

Cat

LIZS Mon 19-Aug-13 12:19:11

Aren't the first two the wrong side of Guildford for you ? St Catherine's' Bramley ?

Jigsawmadness Mon 19-Aug-13 13:00:08

My DD starts at Tormead in September. We also live in Woking (Guildford side). We also went for the assessment at GHS but DD did not get in. If she hadn't got into Tormead we would have gone for Hoebridge, although it's fairly boy heavy and our DD is a fairly girly girl so not sure it would have suited her to be surrounded by mostly boys. Didn't look at St Andrews so can't comment but I have heard good things about it. I think St Catherines is a bit of a trek from Woking so we didn't look at it.

night1971 Mon 19-Aug-13 13:06:19

St Andrew's is fab. Superb space, quite deceptive. Lovely experienced staff & low turnover. Nice childen. Can't recommend more highly. Excellent results without hot housing. Definitely worth phoning.

woking123 Mon 19-Aug-13 13:40:22

Hi Lizs, we live in central Woking so is not on the wrong side of Guildford for us. Actually, I'm working 5 minutes to both of them by car.
Good luck with your dd JIGSAWMADNESS.
I still don't get it with these Assessments 1 year before school will start on 3 to 4yo children. In 1 year the child can change dramatically in better or worst. I have no clues what these Assessments are about.
Thank you.

ParisianRain Mon 19-Aug-13 21:05:53

Have you looked at Halstead Prep?

Unexpected Mon 19-Aug-13 21:08:37

What about Halstead?

Rubena Tue 20-Aug-13 13:07:48

Starting reception in Sept here too. We first didn't get any 3 state schools so looked at independents. Shortlisted were Hoebridge and Greenfields. Would have gone with Hoebridge as first choice mainly due to sport facilities, but ended up getting 1st choice state school offered and accepted that instead, deciding to switch to private later. To be fair I didn't look at St Andrews, but I've heard it's quite good.

woking123 Tue 20-Aug-13 14:22:41

I heard a lot about Greenfield, but I didn't get it, why is so "sought-after" school? Not excels on grades, it's not having any PE facilities, very expensive comparing with a lot of other private schools, etc?

Rubena Tue 20-Aug-13 15:33:50

Yes, agree Woking123, I was quite put off with it having no sports facilities. We were still on a waiting list at that point for Hoebridge which I'd have preferred. They claim at Greenfield, that there are no additional costs like other schools add on later for school excursions etc, but I still don't think it makes up for lack of facilities. When I emailed to tell them we had decided to go with another school (and obviously lost our deposit) we didn't even hear a word from them which I thought was a tad rude.
Is your dd in nursery anywhere now?

woking123 Tue 20-Aug-13 16:39:21

she's on Christopher Robin nursery in Woking.

Rubena Tue 20-Aug-13 17:19:24

Oh OK, just thought she may have been in the same nursery as my dd! (Busy Bees) and she may have known her.

lily9478 Wed 21-Aug-13 08:44:07

My friend's daughter went to Greenfield School and she was very happy there.

JammieMummy Wed 21-Aug-13 19:33:34

Have you considered Rydes Hill? A non selective but tends to send a large number of its girls to GHS or Tormead at 11. It is a very nurturing small school and most of the people I know have chosen for their quieter girls who need bringing out of themselves a bit more. It is co-ed until 7 but there aren't many boys in those classes.

The only issue might be that, I think, the reception places for September 2014 have already been filled so you might have to go on a waiting list. Don't quote me on that though and always worth a look.

Mumtogremlins Mon 26-Aug-13 20:48:40

St Andrews might be full but it is a lovely school. I slightly preferred it to Hoebridge as its a bit smaller and I felt it was a bit more nurturing and the staff were much friendlier. Definately have a look. But all depends on how much you prefer single sex and a 4-18 education

thegamesafoot Tue 27-Aug-13 09:29:51

My very shy dd passed the GHS assessments (at age 3.5) - she enjoyed both assessment days once she got past her initial shyness phase (she was too shy to go into the main hall without me taking her in there instead of one of the teachers for example). From what I've read on other mumsnet threads shyness not an issue at GHS - they are looking for a good mix of girls including some shy bright types as well as the more gregarious girls. Feel free to pm me.

DalmationDots Tue 27-Aug-13 15:19:11

My DD was at GHS. Shyness definitely not an issue- she didn't speak at her first stage 4+ assessment!! They want a mix of girls, not a whole class of chatterboxes. It was a great school, don't get too worked up about the assessment though - if she gets in and looking round it feels right, it is right for her, otherwise it isn't. I think it is a little more pressured than when DD was there (10+ years ago now!) but it isn't as pressured as it can appear/rumours tell you. DD loved it, thrived and had lots of fun.

Tormead is the usual 2nd choice after GHS and it tends to be if a girl doesn't suit one then they will suit the other. There is movement between the two at 11 as girls change.

Halstead is worth looking at. Lots come to GHS from there aged 11.
As others have said Hoe Bridge is boy heavy but I think it is popular and seems a lovely prep.

St Andrews used to be very very boy heavy but may have changed.

Go have a look around, it is the easiest way to narrow it down. Good luck!

woking123 Mon 02-Sep-13 10:52:58

Thank you all for your input. I hope I'll take the right decision. smile

woozle0 Sat 14-Sep-13 21:40:19

Try Greenfield. It achieves scholarships every year and between 98 and 100% of the children gain places at their first choice senior school. Sports facilities are off site, so there is definitely sport. Fees include everything (SEND and AG&T support and trips, incuding residentials) apart from wrap around care and clubs, although I think some are included, but that might have changed. Only problem might be spaces as it is getting really oversubscribed. Good luck whereever you choose - I am glad those days are over for me!

MulberryHag Thu 19-Sep-13 21:47:54

Rydes Hill is a fantastic school. Quite academic, girls get very good scholarships into senior schools (St. Caths, Priorsfield, GHS, Tormead etc) and it's has a very nurturing, family-type atmosphere.

greenlakes2005 Fri 06-Dec-13 09:22:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now