Good educational apps?

(5 Posts)
babyseal Sun 18-Aug-13 17:16:55

DS5 has been spoilt rotten this birthday and been given an Android tablet by his Nana.I would like to steer him away from just games on it and was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for apps? It is a minefield out there, so many to choose from, and a lot of them recommended on websites seem to be for ipad only. He is starting Y1 next month.

Willieverseesense Mon 19-Aug-13 11:31:11

In my eyes, 5 y o shouldn't have tablets.

SockPinchingMonster Mon 19-Aug-13 13:52:56

Monkey maths is a great app - my 5 year old twins love it and it has really helped them improve their basic maths skills. Squeebles is ok too, and I found a read, write inc app that is key stage 1 maths.
Willieverseesense - I don't think there's anything wrong with a 5 year old having access to a tablet as long as they don't play on it all the time, and some of the games have educational value. I limit my 2 to 15 mins, once or twice a day. Schools seem to use tablets or netbooks quite regularly nowadays - it's a sign of the times.

woking123 Mon 19-Aug-13 14:14:34

Most of the applets have a limited free version of it. Look at the reviews and try them.

babyseal Mon 19-Aug-13 21:35:03

Strict timelimits in place here already, and Yes he has access to one in school too. Thanks for the suggestions smile smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now