Does your 10/11 yr old boy read in the school holidays?

(30 Posts)
mummaemma Tue 06-Aug-13 14:37:30

Trying to encourage him to do a little reading (15 mins a day). He's 10 going into yr 6 and a needs a boost with his literacy. (currentl level 3b) He doesnt want to read and says its boring.

Wondered if other boys similar age read or not in the holidays.

Taffeta Fri 09-Aug-13 14:55:38

My DS (going into Y5) is not a big fiction reader. He much prefers football mags and non fiction ( atlases, Ripleys, Guinness Book etc ) but he has a 30 minute each way journey to football x 3 pw where we trade off iPod usage one way for fiction reading the other. He seems to not mind reading so much in the car. His literacy level went up masses last year and so I am continuing to ensure he reads fiction, incl in the holidays.

He hates football fiction, hates most of the usual age appropriate stuff, thinks the library summer reading challenge is "lame", but has most recently reread some Roald Dahl and just this morning went to the library and chose a few Jeremy Strong books he hasn't read at school yet. He's read most of the David Walliams ones but not really enjoyed them. He likes reading "easy" books.

OverTheFieldsAndFarAway Fri 09-Aug-13 18:04:20

I seem to remember DS3 loving the Redwall series at about yr5/6 and also the Warrior series. He was a book a night boy, cost us a small fortune.

ChasingSquirrels Fri 09-Aug-13 18:08:23

How about the graphic novel books type books, basically cartoon strip versions of proper books.
Our library has quite a few.

valiumredhead Fri 09-Aug-13 18:15:39

Buy him the Top Gear magazinewink

wine0 Fri 09-Aug-13 19:38:33

I make my DS (going in to year 4) read most nights before bed. He loves diary of a wimpy kids books, Michael Morpurgo, David Walliams. He prefers non fiction books though about the human body, dinosaurs,football.

If he was given the choice though he wouldn't choose to read at all. However, he's been reading at bedtime since birth; me to him and now him independently so it's just as part of his bedtime routine as brushing his teeth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now