More child starting reception type questions (sorry)

(105 Posts)
Xihha Sat 03-Aug-13 18:58:17

DD starts school in September and I think I'm more nervous than she is (DS starting school was different as he was more independent and I knew the school really well).

Anyway 1) DD's school insists on either Clarks or Startrite shoes, is there much difference in quality? (I've always gone to cheap shoe shops, even when i was little so have no idea)

2) DD needs a pencil case, have I got to name everything inside it and if so how the hell do you label pencils? or can i just label the pencil case and accept she may lose a few pencils?

3) We've been practicing opening lunch boxes, sitting nicely to eat, putting her own shoes on, getting changed by herself and managing tights so she can go to the loo by herself, is there anything else she needs to practice?

4) when I was at school all girls wore vests under their uniforms on days we had PE, I don't think it was ever a rule but very much expected, is this still the case?

5) why do I still feel like I've forgotten something?

Yes. that's lovely smile Wish I could remember where I saw that other link. I have boys you see, so I just glances and thought "how lovely" and moved on. I see quite a lot of girls with a pleat done just at the side of where a fringe would start and carried across the front and down to the other side. That looks lovely too.

Back when I was young in the early seventies i had a fringe and then two small pleats done from just behind the fringe but only using the top layer of hair and these would be taken to the back and loosely and tied together - meant you could have your hair down but it was away from your face and didn't fall into your eyes when leaning over a desk.

So many people don't really bother nowadays and just ponytail it back or use a hair band. I am sounding really ancient now!

Think this one is a lovely one and they say it is very quick for a school day:
www.princesshairstyles.com/2011/09/fishtail-braid-woven-pigtails.html

Xihha Thu 08-Aug-13 00:38:58

smile the 2 plaits pulled back and the rest loose is how i do her hair when she's wearing a pretty dress, she looks adorable, I like those 2 too. How the hell did they get the kids to stay still for some of those styles though?

FadedSapphire Thu 08-Aug-13 12:46:33

Shocking if they are insisting on a particular brand of shoe and legally unenforceable I would think.
Find it hard to get passed that dictatorial point on this thread. School should wind its neck in.
Usually Tesco shoes here but found some nice [wide fitting] BHS ones this week for my older boy.
Younger will have soft Tesco ones [Reception].

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now