Y2 Topic - The Quest of the Last Dragon

(19 Posts)
iseenodust Tue 30-Jul-13 11:35:36

mrz Brilliant. I bet you were voted best teacher for that outing.

EarlyIntheMorning Tue 30-Jul-13 11:24:54

mrz if the topic ends up being what you're saying, then my DD is going to love Y2!!!smilesmilesmile
Thank you for all the links, really useful even if that ends up not being the topic after all.

mrz Tue 30-Jul-13 11:16:03

www.ologyworld.com/ if you go to the menu you can find dragonology

mrz Tue 30-Jul-13 11:12:25
mrz Tue 30-Jul-13 11:06:35

I took my Y2 class to see the film in 3D as many had never been to the cinema.

iseenodust Tue 30-Jul-13 10:43:17

The 'How to train your dragon' books are a fun bedtime read.

EarlyIntheMorning Tue 30-Jul-13 10:39:50

Oh how fun! smile

mrz Tue 30-Jul-13 10:38:54

myths and legends, local dragon stories

mrz Tue 30-Jul-13 10:37:55

Poetry, art, dragonology, hatching a dragon's egg, risk assessment for keeping a pet dragon, debate on why keeping dragons would be good/bad idea, instructions for caring for your dragon, how to trap a dragon, descriptions, types, How to train your dragon ...etc ...etc

EarlyIntheMorning Tue 30-Jul-13 10:31:11

mrz, what did your dragons topic cover?

mrz Tue 30-Jul-13 10:22:19

I've taught dragon topics in Y2 and didn't touch fairy tales or knights and castles

EarlyIntheMorning Tue 30-Jul-13 10:17:44

TheGirlOnTheLanding that's actually really helpful, thanks so much

TheGirlOnTheLanding Tue 30-Jul-13 09:57:10

My Dd (6) did a similar topic this year (not exactly the same title) and it allowed the teacher to bring in all sorts of fairy tales, as well as knights and castles - lots of opportunities for craft, role play, story telling, the children retelling (verbal and written) of traditional fairy tales. The children had a wonderful time and it 'themed' the work nicely without being too narrow.

mrz Tue 30-Jul-13 09:49:40

It is a title the class teacher has created for her class

EarlyIntheMorning Tue 30-Jul-13 09:45:38

Oh I see, so what you're saying is that this doesn't relate to anything specific like a book or a movie or some UK historical event. My concern is that I should know what this is, but I don't.

mrz Tue 30-Jul-13 09:31:19

We would just be guessing what the class teacher has planned under the title

EarlyIntheMorning Tue 30-Jul-13 09:27:25

Hi mrz. Of course but I won't have that opportunity until September. Right now we don't even know who the Y2 teacher for my DD's class will be. I was hoping perhaps someone here would have an idea.

mrz Tue 30-Jul-13 09:17:04

I think you will need to ask the class teacher.

EarlyIntheMorning Tue 30-Jul-13 09:07:48

I have just received a belated newsletter from school and it states that the topic for Y2 in September will be The Quest of the Last Dragon. I'm not from the UK so this is not familiar to me; does it relate to a book? I'm suspecting knights and castles? Would somebody please clarify what this is about? If I am right and this is about knights and castles, what is the relevance of this topic for 6 YO children? This is a genuine question, just trying to understand what's behind this topic. Thank you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now