Best way to teach times tables over holidays

(60 Posts)
neveronsunday Fri 26-Jul-13 09:53:51

DS needs to work on his tables.

We have Squeebles on my phone which is great for practice, but not so good for teaching them in the first place.

I don't want him to feel like he's in boot camp over the holidays so need a fun way for him to learn them.

He can already do 2,5,10 & 12.

All suggestions welcome.

MrsStarwars Mon 12-Aug-13 19:28:42

Hi there I have been inspired by this thread to work on times tables with my ds who is going into year 4 in sept. he is not massively confident with maths, but has grasped the 2,3,4,5,10 and 11 generally ok. Today he learned how to work out the 9 times tables. We worked on rounding up to 10 so 2x9 becomes 2x10 minus the 2, 3x9 becomes 3x10 minus the 3 and so on. Within half an hour he was pretty confident with the whole 9 times table and giving quick answers. My plan is to persevere with the others over the rest of the hols.

ToffeeWhirl Mon 12-Aug-13 19:45:10

alanyoung - we are still persevering, although DS2 is not very enthusiastic. However, he has learnt several Times Tables facts that he didn't know before with very little effort and it only takes a few minutes a day, so I'm sticking with your method.

CorrieDale Mon 12-Aug-13 19:46:06

I am definitely going to be checking out alanyoung's method for dd but in the meantime DS learned them quite quickly by doing the magic way to learn your tables in one week. You learn the unknowns in pairs. So, 6x8 8x6 48. Which means you only have to learn half as many. Takes a lot of the grunt work out of it. Dd has done her 2s this holiday using that system and is working in her 5s and 9s. We are only getting her to do them to keep DS company as he practises his handwriting - poor lad! Tables no trouble, handwriting massive problems!!!

alanyoung Wed 14-Aug-13 08:03:29

Toffeewhirl, Thanks for your comment. I know it can be a little difficult doing this type of work in the summer holidays when some children can't really see the relevance of it, but if you can persevere you will definitely find it worth while as there will be a discernible difference in maths ability come the new term. Hopefully DS2 will appreciate that too. As you say, it doesn't take a great deal of effort to learn each new fact.

alanyoung Wed 14-Aug-13 08:06:39

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

alanyoung Sat 17-Aug-13 15:22:25

Corriedale, did you download my method and, if so, how is it going?

ToffeeWhirl Sat 17-Aug-13 16:17:16

Alan - we are still sticking at it. I do notice that if I forget to do it for a day or two, DS seems to forget what he's learnt, so little and often seems to work best.

He has also started playing this game on his DS. He seems quite motivated to play it and he knows learning his tables will help him.

alanyoung Mon 19-Aug-13 15:54:47

Toffeewhirl, as with anything, as I am sure you will appreciate, little and often is much better than heavy, infrequent doses. The trick, however, is not to forget if you can. Make it a passion for you as it is for him and you will really see results. Remind him now and again how well he will do in maths compared with his old self (and possibly his class mates) once he gets back to school.

When is that, by the way?

Keep up the good work - you won't regret it!

ToffeeWhirl Tue 20-Aug-13 01:26:45

4th Sept, alan. I agree that the main thing is for me not to forget to practise with DS, as he certainly won't remind me. There is no excuse not to stick at it, really, because it takes so little time. I have already told DS that if he sticks at it he will find Maths much easier next term and I think he is keen on that idea, as he really struggled last year.

I'll let you know how we get on.

alanyoung Thu 22-Aug-13 07:42:20

Toffeewhirl, the real test will be (as you strongly hint) when he returns to school and he is one of just a few youngsters in his class who can answer the teacher's times tables questions. He will literally run out of school the day the teacher asks, 'What are seven eights?' and he and only a few others know the answer instantly.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now