How many days did your DC miss this year? What's "average"?

(91 Posts)
PoppyWearer Wed 24-Jul-13 17:22:10

From what I saw on MN and observed from friends' DCs and at our school, with the cold winter there seemed to be more illness than usual this school year. Right?

Somehow DC1 (just finished Reception) escaped relatively unscathed and had one day off all year, when she had a bad cold and was completely exhausted. There were days back in Jan/Feb when almost half her class was missing, so how she managed not to catch any of the nasty bugs going round is a miracle!

(Not at all a stealth boast - there were other children in the school that managed 100% attendance (DC1 was upset she didn't get a sticker for attendance). Which absolutely amazes me!)

How did your DCs get on? Just curious if this was a bad year or not, and what to expect in years to come.

Dredging my memory as a child, I can recall missing a few days due to usual childhood illnesses, but did have one or two years with 100% attendance, when I was a teen.

MrsTedMosby Wed 24-Jul-13 22:48:11

DS1 - 100% attendance (for last 3 years!)
DS2 - 2 days off
DS3 - 3 days off
DS4 - 1 day off
DS5 - 1 day off

DS2's school says 48 hours off for sickness which is why he had 2 days while his brothers who were sick at the same time only have to have 24 hours off school.

DS2 & 3 had 100% attendance last year. DS4 nearly did, but got chicken pox and had the last week off school. DS5 had 93% last year, he was in Reception and got everything that went around, including getting chicken pox twice (though second time was in the holidays, same time as Ds3 had it)

ArabellaBeaumaris Wed 24-Jul-13 23:29:29

Just realised that DD only had 5 days absence, not 11 - I was struggling to work out how she'd missed so many days. 2 days holiday, 3 days illness/fracture.

Cat98 Wed 24-Jul-13 23:38:27

Ds had a week off with chicken pox, and one other day with an ear infection. Total all year - 6 days. A lot less than most of his friends (year R).

chickensaladagain Wed 24-Jul-13 23:44:18

11 yo had 100% attendance

9 yo had 3 weeks off due to a strep infection which triggered a massive eczema flare up resulting in a 3 day hospital stay

School thought eczema wasn't really a good reason to keep her off so I sent her in and they rang me within an hour to collect her as she had made herself bleed, a lot !

Oblomov Thu 25-Jul-13 09:40:43

ds1(9) 2 days.

OP, I think this is VERY unusual.
At our school, November and December, we had a spate of cough, cold, sore throat, flu , virus etc. Many children were off for over a week. Many people said their children were ill for most of Christmas.
The statistics of this thread, don't represent, what actually happened to many parents, in RL.

MirandaWest Thu 25-Jul-13 09:48:00

DD year 2 had 2.5 days off - was sick one morning before school and so was off for 48 hours. Half day I had to pick her up at lunchtime as she had temperature and was feeling rotten.
DS year 4 wasn't off at all.

I'm lucky that they both generally have good immune systems - think a lot of it is luck of the draw tbh

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Thu 25-Jul-13 10:00:19

My DD was off for 3 days. One was approved holiday when we had to travel for a wedding. The other two were both sickness. She also had one day off in the snow but that was because school was closed to YR - we're a short walk from school so could have got her there if they'd opened.

cory Thu 25-Jul-13 10:00:47

ds (13) had about 8 days off: two virus infections with fever

dd can't really be counted- has been on half days after breakdown

from my own childhood I remember that I was rarely ill; my older brother was ill all the time

we were parented in exactly the same way and expected to go to school unless really ill- his immune system was just a bit sluggish

children are all different

5madthings Thu 25-Jul-13 10:05:36

Ds1 had one day off.

Ds2 had loads of time off, a week for a v&d bug he was so poorly with it he was nearly admitted to hospital. Then he was back at school for one day and got the flu and had another week off, i think the v&d bug had left him worn out and he is a skinny thing with no teserves iykwim so was just knocked for six with the flu.

Ds3 a few days but cant remember what for.

Ds4 loads again as he had a few pukey bugs and the rule is 48hrs off, most of the time he was only sick once but then had to have another two days off each time. Plus i have given him the odd day off when he was shattered as he was in reception and was just knackered at times.

They all had five days each that was authorised for holiday.

Have to say this was a crap year illness wise, it was in the run up to xmas and over cmas as well and i have never known a year like it, they were dropping like flies at school and i was ill and dd and dp were ill as well and dp never catches these things. I was so ill i had to get dp tp come from work. They have all been.fine since new year it was nov/dec time they were all ill.

Elibean Thu 25-Jul-13 10:12:57

Should add that, whereas my two have been lucky this year and had virtually no time off, I honestly don't get the 'wow well done' thing about attendance - unless its not illness/health related.

Totally baffles me. When I was a kid, I had loads of tonsil and throat infections, and missed quite a lot - 17 days, I remember seeing on one school report. I still did very well, and I was off because I was ill, simple. And no one commented or seemed to mind.

Perhaps its a British thing, the 'mustn't take time off if ill' thing? A remnant of stiff upper lips?

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Thu 25-Jul-13 10:13:36

I do think it's a bit easier if your children have been at nursery. Their immune systems are a bit more built up so less likely to have tons of sick days during the first couple of years at school. Also something like chicken pox knocks you back quite a lot of days sickness - my two have both had it at nursery so won't have that on their school record.

Our school starts action on attendance at 97%, so 5.5 days over the whole year. I think that' pretty harsh.

DiamondDoris Thu 25-Jul-13 10:17:40

One year my DD had 99% attendance. This year quite bad for both DD and DS - continuous vomiting bugs. Also, because of their special needs (DD diabetic and DS asd and other issues) days off for appointments with doctors, nurses, dieticians, you name it. In a way, I wish those types of absences weren't counted.

3MonthMaid Thu 25-Jul-13 11:42:52

In reception 0 days off. In yr1 9 days shock including 7 days authorised holiday naughty parents

PoppyWearer Thu 25-Jul-13 12:08:42

Thanks everyone, really interesting!

Agree with what others have said about nursery attendance helping. My DC1 is pretty robust and had most illnesses before starting school.

mimbleandlittlemy Thu 25-Jul-13 17:13:00

DS has just finished Y6. 100% attendance record for the first 6 years then 1 day off for taking a school entrance exam this year. He was very hacked off as it meant he didn't get the full 7 years at 100% even though it was authorised absence.

DD had 1.3 days off apparently - 99.35% attendance. The 0.3 is presumably when she was in at about 11.00 after a music exam. The one day was illness, it should have been two but I absolutely honest to goodness thought she was going back after 48 hours but I'd got my sums wrong and it was only just over 24 hours. blush

School has had a bad year for illness, staff and pupils. I really REALLY hope I didn't contribute to that.

Fuzzymum1 Thu 25-Jul-13 22:38:52

My DS3 (y1) has 94% attendance for the year - that's quite low as he had a nasty flu virus that knocked him off his feet with temperatures over 39c for over a week and while he was still getting over that he caught a stomach bug that took a good few days to shift and meant he missed his own birthday party Ofsted would like to see all attendance at 98% or higher but that's pretty hard to achieve as that's less than 4 days off per year.

funnyossity Thu 25-Jul-13 22:49:57

Ghoul I think that is harsh for primary. This year was a very bad year for our local primary with record low numbers on a few days. Lets hope the sunshine this summer has given everyone's immune system a boost.

Bumply Thu 25-Jul-13 22:50:08

Ye gods, all these healthy dc make mine look even worse.

Ds1 had a particularly bad year. Developed a squint which gave him double vision which have him headaches so he was off loads before he had an operation to fix the squint. That required two weeks off school for recovery and he still got occasional headaches adjusting. At one point he was taking the piss and claiming to be worse than he was thinking that he'd caught up after legitimate reasons the odd day here and there wouldn't matter. Teachers had to have words with him to get him back on track, saying he had to improve or he wouldn't be allowed to stay after next years exams, but he then got a throat infection caught off me (I was off work for a week).

Ds2 had the usual few days here and there of coming down with a cold which affects him badly triggering his asthma but thankfully not bad enough to put him in hospital as it used to

Frikadellen Fri 26-Jul-13 10:58:21

Ds had 100% one of only 5 childreb in his school of 108.
Dd3 had 5 days of 3 with tonsillitis and 2 withtthe worst womiting bug I have ever experienced. She was actually sick on the Wednesday and off Thursday and Friday buteeven Sunday night were we uncertain if she would go to school the next dau. School kept a close eye and sent her to a quiet room for the last hour of the day she was exhausted.
Unsure what dd1 and 2 had must ask to get their numbers of them. Will be 2 or 3 day's each

No1 son had one day off - he is 13 and that's the first day since he was 6 - he has had 4 days in total off school in 8 years.

No2 son also had 1 day off - he is 12 and that's his 5 day off school in 7 years.

So I would say our average is half a day a year but most of that is concentrated on the early primary years.

iseenodust Fri 26-Jul-13 15:58:22

DS had 2 days off. Exams and transition day for new school in Sept.
He sulked mightily at not getting 100% attendance as he was in school just not the right one for those purposes !

labtest Fri 26-Jul-13 18:14:23

My daughter has been having treatment for leukaemia for the past two years but managed 68% attendance this year (year one). Her teacher told me she has nowhere near the worst attendance in the class!

sparkle12mar08 Fri 26-Jul-13 18:48:02

Ds1 Yr2 has had at least four days off sick (authorised), and we took him out for a day unauthorised to go to a family event. Ds2 Reception has had the same unauthorised day and I think two days sick. Both were full of colds and winter bugs when in nursery and pre school, and the year that ds1 went to nursery was awful for dh and me as well - he just bought all the new bugs home and we all got them. I had at least eight separate colds in the six winter months that year.

We've also been late to school twice this year when they were both still asleep in bed at 8:15am after an awful week of activities and both seemed to be sickening for something on top. I just thought fuck it, they obviously need the rest, and took them in when they woke which was about and hour late all in all. I did phone school and let them know though.

CouthyMow Sat 27-Jul-13 12:38:11

DD - none, 100% attendance.
DS1 - 39 days, but he had a systemic streptococcal infection and then appendicitis and an appendectomy...
DS2 - 12 days, due to hospitalisation for chronic brittle asthma.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now