How many days did your DC miss this year? What's "average"?

(91 Posts)
PoppyWearer Wed 24-Jul-13 17:22:10

From what I saw on MN and observed from friends' DCs and at our school, with the cold winter there seemed to be more illness than usual this school year. Right?

Somehow DC1 (just finished Reception) escaped relatively unscathed and had one day off all year, when she had a bad cold and was completely exhausted. There were days back in Jan/Feb when almost half her class was missing, so how she managed not to catch any of the nasty bugs going round is a miracle!

(Not at all a stealth boast - there were other children in the school that managed 100% attendance (DC1 was upset she didn't get a sticker for attendance). Which absolutely amazes me!)

How did your DCs get on? Just curious if this was a bad year or not, and what to expect in years to come.

Dredging my memory as a child, I can recall missing a few days due to usual childhood illnesses, but did have one or two years with 100% attendance, when I was a teen.

hippoherostandinghere Wed 24-Jul-13 19:37:21

0 days for DS. He was the only child in the class with full attendance. He did have chicken pox this year but timed it well in the half term holidays.

redskyatnight Wed 24-Jul-13 19:38:54

DS (Y4) - 2 days, the first he's had off since starting school (he only gets ill in holidays!)
DD (Y2)- 0 days

Again, blessed with children with strong immune systems, though I think some of this comes down to the fact that they were frequently ill during their pre-school years.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 24-Jul-13 20:58:22

Until this year the total number of days DD had had of since starting nursery at 3 months of age was under 10. Year 4 what a disaster she developed migraines and has had 14 days off due to these though things are getting better now due to preventative medication. However, academically this has been her very best year including moving up by two whole NC levels in Maths. The teacher believes DD actually thrives with challenge and adversity shock as migraine is not the only problem she has had to deal with.

Xihha Wed 24-Jul-13 20:59:32

DS (yr4) - 2 1/2 days off because of hospital appointments due to an accident a school (he ran into a tree!)

DD (nursery) - 16 days, poor girl managed to catch every bug that went round, including measles.

PatriciaHolm Wed 24-Jul-13 21:01:39

Neither of mine have been actually ill (they never are!) DS has had 2 days off for an op.

youarewinning Wed 24-Jul-13 21:03:25

DS - 1/2 a day. Must have been sent home ill - I don't remember and was surprised that was it!

Elibean Wed 24-Jul-13 21:06:09

dd1 had several days off in Foundation and KS1 years...7 in Y2....but only one day in Y3, and none in Y4.

Basically, her immune system has now been fine tuned by all the early years bugs wink

That, and luck.

My ds had 7.5 days off 2 for d&v and 5 days for chicken pox 0.5 for dr appointment his was just over 95%.

Periwinkle007 Wed 24-Jul-13 21:22:18

5 days from 2 sickness bugs

Ds (year 1) had 3 days off sick and 1 day off for a hospital appointment in a different city.
Dd (nursery pre school) no days off, she saved her illnesses for weekends!

Meglet Wed 24-Jul-13 21:24:27

DD at nursery - 3 days.

DS, Y1 - 3 days.

ThisIsMummyPig Wed 24-Jul-13 21:28:37

DD1 - Reception 1.5 days
DD2, playgroup 3 days a week, 1 day (and she was better by 9.30!)

Tiggles Wed 24-Jul-13 21:29:53

DS1 and 2 both had 6 half days off, all for hospital appointments, not 'general sickness'.

MrsDeVere Wed 24-Jul-13 21:30:12

My five year old got 100% attendance.
My 10 year old had about 98% but he has every Monday afternoon off for therapy and has been sick a few times so I am a bit confused. Some of that 2% is down as unauthorised but I cba to challenge it as I am already pissed off with the school about something much worse.

Its down to luck IMO.

spiderlight Wed 24-Jul-13 21:32:16

DD (Y1) - three days with chicken pox and one day when he had a bit of a cough and a slight fever first thing, so I opted to wait and see for an hour or so, and by mid-morning he was fine but I had a raging fever and was too ill to take him round!

Last year he had one day off because there was a truly rotten cold/cough going through the school and the YR teacher came out at hometime on the Thursday and ordered us all to keep them home on the Friday if they so much as looked as if they might sniffle to try and break the cycle. He wanted to go in and I wanted to send him in, but I was a bit scared of the teacher! blush

spiderlight Wed 24-Jul-13 21:33:34

(Just to clarify with the chicken pox, he came home with it on the Friday and had the worst of it over the weekend, so we did do the statutory five days!)

I'd have to check but IIRC it was four days - two days actually poorly and two days to satisfy the "48h since last vomit" rule. One single day and one three-day.

Ds1 has ADHD and autism and was going through dx so missed loads of days for appointments and various OT sessions and the like (we're an hour from the closest big town so travel time takes 2 hours for each appointment, plus 1-2 hours for the appointment itself so a whole school day lost to most of them). He also had a few nasty bugs... 23 days officially on his report but I suspect the school were smudging the numbers to save us getting a nasty letter from the DOE as it passed 20 by my reckoning back in march.

Dd developed asthma this year so missed more than usual, 9 days. She had perfect attendance last year though.

Ds2 has SN too and missed months of playschool between one thing and another.

Dd1 - 2days - she suffers when her tonsils flare up - she generally struggles on but obviously gave in.

Dd2 - 1 day - can't remember why, nothing too major though. Have been lucky with less sickness now they are older.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 24-Jul-13 21:52:40

Ds1 4 days (authorised holiday)

Ds2 5 days (4 authorised holiday and 1 sick - was a Friday so nly needed the 1!)

DS1 - 1 day (funeral of close family friend).

DS2 - none.

DD - none.

DS3 - none.

Last year was similar, and the year before.

Mine did get lots of minor viral illnesses when they were younger, so perhaps they are now immune to most stuff.

DD1- 6 days, from just unlucky illnesses.

DD2- 2wks4dys apparently (18dys) because of mental health reasons, and a bug sweeping the school and as a result of GAD.

DS- none. 100% attendance.

Jbck Wed 24-Jul-13 21:55:42

DD1 100% attendance, DD2 99% (got sent home sick one day and had next day off)
DD2 only started this year so pretty good but she had lots of stuff at nursery.
DD1 not usually too bad but only 2nd year she's had 100%, starting secondary this year so t looks good for transition, just luck though.

Karoleann Wed 24-Jul-13 22:17:26

Ds1 (year2) - 5 sick days and 2 snow days
Ds2(reception) - 1sick day and 2 snow days.
Dd(nursery) - 2 sick days.

All children had a half da unauthorised when my friend visited from Australia in June too.

thefuturesnotourstosee Wed 24-Jul-13 22:35:23

DD just finished year 2: 2 1/2 days - was sent home from school with a sudden onset stomach bug which introduced itself when she informed her teacher she didn't feel very well then was violently sick all over her

Year 1 100% attendance

Reception - hospitalised with a nasty virus on a drip and missed 3 days (and endlessly complained she wasn't allowed to go to school!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now