Year 2 in year admission waiting list. And how are bulge classes implemented?

(11 Posts)
Flyingtree Tue 23-Jul-13 16:27:36

Been 9 months on the waiting list for Year 1 in YearAdmission.

Just wondering if anyone's had any luck with a Year 2 in year admission.

A class sizes still restricted?

AmandaPandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 23-Jul-13 16:29:28

Yes, up to the end of KS1.

What do you mean about bulge classes? They generally come in at reception then work their way through the school. So probably wouldn't help for admission part way through the school.

Woodelf Fri 26-Jul-13 14:10:40

Been on the school waiting list since nov 2011! Still waiting as we move into y2.... desperate to move from unsatisfactory school esp in these middle years to an outstanding school much nearer me but v popular of course!!!

tiggytape Fri 26-Jul-13 17:41:10

Class sizes are restricted by law until the end of Year 2.
After that they should still stay at 30 but winning an appeal isn't as hard as it would be if the child was Year 2 or below.

Bulge classes are added by the council in years when dozens of children are without a school place. If, after all reception places are allocated, there are children left over with no school to go to at all, the council will ask schools to add extra classes. This isn't something they add in Year 1 or Year 2.

Woodelf Fri 26-Jul-13 19:47:05

Thanks Tiggytape, I had planned to appeal if he hasn't got in by yr3.... I'll be pretty desperate by then!!

Jenny70 Fri 26-Jul-13 20:26:19

We didn't get a place in yr1, but got one 3 weeks before yr2 ended as someone left before the end of year. We were top of list as a sibling, but noone left. Very frustrating for us. I met with school and asked about a class of 31 in yr 3, but was told they would never do it willingly.

Unexpected Fri 26-Jul-13 21:26:48

Do you know your current position on the waiting list and have you moved up or down the waiting list much in all the time you have been on it?

tricot39 Fri 26-Jul-13 21:41:36

Watching with interest..... this might soon be us. Bliddy nightmare!

Woodelf Sun 28-Jul-13 21:00:49

I think we are 4th at the moment- but have been up to first before - however been bumped down by siblings. Understandable but v frustrating... I am hoping they have slightly bigger classes at y3!

mam29 Sun 28-Jul-13 22:05:43

I know every schools different.

but last summer enquired about 1 school in summer hols see if they had vacancies.

They got back to me in sept and said yes 3.

maybe they dident know until start of term whos not coming back was case of 1 traveller child,family moves away.

Start of october we looked around by time applies mid year addmissions through lea was just 1space which she luckily got.

So she joined 1 term into year 2 after october half term.

At least 3left after she joined.

1 moved away
another was a traveller kids.
another was there short term until space came up in their chosen school.

I was most surprised.

but no sibling link for younger 2 so im going to join wait list until they do get in but unsure how long got to wait.

been some movement year 1 this year.

most people move end or start of year.

its year 3 infant ruling dont apply.

Woodelf Sun 28-Jul-13 22:15:56

It's a complicated business mam29!
I'm pinning my hopes on y3 as they can have bigger classes then but it is at the school's discretion....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now