Will my daughter have done the phonics test?

(14 Posts)
mrz Sat 20-Jul-13 07:36:19

There isn't a "test", there is a Phonics Screening Check to identify children who may need extra support in Y2. The check assesses children's knowledge of some of the ways sounds are spelt in English and a child's ability to decode new words ... many teachers were surprised by results last year... so they hadn't noticed. hmm

Parents MUST be informed whether their child achieved the expected level and of their score ... if your child's school hasn't done this they are failing to follow legal obligations

BetterToLaugh Sat 20-Jul-13 07:21:22

I didn't know there was a test. I know how my daughter is with her phonics and reading by reading every day at home. I think if the score was that low you would notice it at home

mrz Sat 20-Jul-13 07:14:56

I would worry about their maths too wink ... should perhaps be 33% and 66%

thegreylady Fri 19-Jul-13 19:28:31

Yes mrz that's what we thought too.

mrz Fri 19-Jul-13 17:11:40

whatever the numbers it is shockingly low number of children achieving the expected level for the screening check

thegreylady Fri 19-Jul-13 17:00:20

dgs got the phonics teast result today he got 35-apparently in his year 30% boys and 60% girls 'passed'.As there are 9 boys and 6 girls in the class I guess that means that 2.7 boys passed which is about as sensible as the test in general smile

Rowgtfc72 Fri 19-Jul-13 07:10:18

We didn't get a report but got the Phonics test result. The school did it properly and she hadn't realised she had done a test. By law they have to give you the results so just ask the teacher.

mrz Thu 18-Jul-13 20:22:45

Even my SEN children did the screening check ... children can only be disapplied if they don't know any sounds or don't speak

and yes the school has to report the score and whether children achieved the expected level or not

thegreylady Thu 18-Jul-13 20:09:31

We just got dgs yr1 report and there is no mention of the phonics test.

Waferthinmint Thu 18-Jul-13 09:19:29

Thanks. We had school reports this week and no mention of the test.

Waferthinmint Thu 18-Jul-13 09:18:18

Thanks. We had school reports this week and no mention of the test.

lougle Thu 18-Jul-13 07:03:35

Yes, unless she has SN and was disapplied, but they should have told you that, or she had a big block of absence over the testing window.

Feenie Thu 18-Jul-13 07:03:00

Yes, and by law the score must be reported to you by the end of term.

Waferthinmint Thu 18-Jul-13 07:00:21

Dd has just reached the end of year 1. Will she have done the phonics test and should I ask for her result?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now