KS2 SATS - did anyone at your school get Level 6 reading??

(105 Posts)
kitnkaboodle Tue 16-Jul-13 23:18:59

.. just wondering. I know it's very rare across the country. Our school entered 5 pupils and none of them got it

LaQueenLovesSummer Fri 25-Jul-14 17:44:25

Oh, Hell yeah...I'm with you on that one pique - I am trying to curb DD1's tendency to veer off into crushing hyperbole, and to just get the nuts and bolts of the English language right, to begin with.

Have to confess [cough] I might be giving her a spot of extra tuition in text analysis and identifying the 'narrative voice' [cough] Also getting her to precis pieces of text, too.

She's none too shabby when I get her to parse a sentence, too - a skill that appears to have been much overlooked at her primary hmm

LaQueenLovesSummer Fri 25-Jul-14 17:38:48

2 children got it at ours, it's only a very small village school though.

This Yr 6 is exceptionally academically able, with record 11+ scores across the board for boys and girls.

Quite a few got the Level 6 in Maths though.

It just shows how hard it is to get a Level 6 in Reading. Huge congratulations to any child that did. Very, very well done smile

PiqueABoo Fri 25-Jul-14 00:03:46

"Those children who genuinely are above Level 5 could surely use the time more productively doing extension activities."
--

I'm not sure there's much difference between an extension activity and tackling some L6 questions. DD did learn a few new tricks such as the dreaded PEEing and was more [::groan::] 'stretched'. However when I run the universe, I'm going to have more pragmatic comprehension and less of the literary luvvie guild-speak about foreshadowing etc. For example:

* Write one short sentence containing all the genuine information to be found in this long page of text that like most of them these days is largely vacuous marketing twaddle.

* Read this politician's speech and identify a minimum of three different classes of informal logical fallacy.

* Find four phrases in this journalist's article that are intended to make the reader feel angry about teachers.

And so on.

Feenie Thu 24-Jul-14 21:49:35

There isn't an official list as such, sweetsummerpea.

HPFA Thu 24-Jul-14 10:30:38

I'm now totally confused about the purpose of this test. If it is to test which children have achieved an objective "Level 6" why does the pass mark keep changing so much? I suspect the real purpose is to identify the 0.5% achievers in any year in which case it would be more honest to describe it as such. Like most parents I have a fair idea of where my daughter is in the year and she's definitely not in that elite - she's probably in about the top 10/15%. I suspect the school will probably make that top 10/15% sit the test - what a waste of time. Those children who genuinely are above Level 5 could surely use the time more productively doing extension activities.

SweetSummerSweetPea Tue 22-Jul-14 22:29:30

what is required reading material for level 6?

Feenie Tue 22-Jul-14 22:26:03

I send papers back for re-marking regularly, and my reports are usually upheld. I sent 3 level 6s back last year - all of my complaints were upheld, but they re-marked the whole paper again (normal) and conveniently decided there were mistakes in the marking of the rest of the paper, making the re-mark null and void.

It's a game.

pyrrah Tue 22-Jul-14 21:45:21

None for reading but 3% for writing, 5% for SPG and nearly 20% for maths.

PiqueABoo Tue 22-Jul-14 21:21:29

It's difficult to know what an L6 Reading pass means and it's insanely difficult if you try to hold one year up against another. I believe these are the years and thresholds:

2011: 13/32 (~40%)
2012: 19/30 (~63%)
2013: 22/34 (~65%)
2014: 24/34 (~70%).

Are they effectively telling us it's become easier every year or are they making it harder to pass? Are they deliberately keeping the pass rate norm-referenced at around 0.5%? Next time some competitive parent reminds us yet again that their child passed L6 reading, should we ask them which year?

The exam has effectively been called a useless waste of money in a formal report commissioned by the DfE and I think it's an unreliable crock with serious marking criteria difficulties (something a seasoned expert I know has been quite vexed about).

Yes, I don't think you need L6 Reading at your primary school but it's obviously good to have reading for pleasure (ideally a mix of genres) at home.

L6 maths is a quite different creature and I'd be unimpressed by a school that didn't make that available to suitable children.

Toomanyhouseguests Tue 22-Jul-14 16:46:36

Our school has never entered any children for the L6 reading test. They only enter them for the L6 maths test.

After skimming this thread, it sounds like it is just as well. I don't want the dc wasting their time on something that is essentially "rigged."

No didn't see it.

PiqueABoo Tue 22-Jul-14 14:18:48

@IHeartKingThistle: Did you see last years for comparison? I ask because they raised the L6 Reading pass threshold from 22/34 to 24/34 this year.

rabbitstew Tue 22-Jul-14 13:46:16

What on earth was florenceeexo's dd taking KS2 SATs for if she goes to a public school? She must be at least 13-years old. grin

I saw the L6 reading paper this year and even as a secondary English teacher I was astounded at how hard it was. Unnecessarily hard IMO. Minute pass rate this year.

I agree that the secondaries don't want it!

Dottymum2 Tue 22-Jul-14 11:55:29

Thank u for that.

HPFA Tue 22-Jul-14 11:51:24

In reply to Dottymum2, I did read somewhere on another thread that the Year 5 reading test is considered quite easy, and scores can come out high compared to what will be achieved in the KS2 SATS. My daughter also got 5B on her Year 5 report and I would prefer her not to sit the Level 6 reading paper next year. I don't think there is any benefit to her getting a 6 rather than a 5A ( since a 5A should get her into one of the higher sets at secondary) - I'd sooner she saved her energies for the Maths where she 's currently on 4A. All our local secondaries do their initial setting on the SATS results so I'd like her to get 5s all round if possible.

Diamonds70 Wed 16-Jul-14 00:30:15

My son got level 6's in the maths and S&G but not the reading! none of them got the reading.

Dottymum2 Tue 15-Jul-14 21:18:51

What level would be expected end of year 5 to be on track for the reading level 6? My dd has a 5B on her end of year report but her end of year test was graded a 5A. I presume this stands her in good stead but have also heard it's very difficult to achieve!!!

IamSlave Tue 15-Jul-14 18:10:24

what do you have to read to get level 6?

carvel55 Tue 15-Jul-14 12:34:24

So proud my Daughter got level 6 in everything this year

Piddlepuddle Sat 05-Apr-14 00:00:47

And no doubt you need marvellous parents too, Florence!

Feenie Fri 04-Apr-14 23:52:15

You upped a nine month old thread with a zombie warning just to boast about your dd and have a go??!! shock

florenceeexo Fri 04-Apr-14 23:33:49

my daughter got level 6 in everything.

florenceeexo Fri 04-Apr-14 23:31:53

actually, it's not. my daughter goes to a public school and is working at gcse level already. Don't make it sound hard to make your child sound better.... They're not hard, you just need a good mindset.

Merrylegs Sun 21-Jul-13 14:06:46

Dd got L6 in reading last year. She didn't know she was going to do it and was a bit miffed she had to do an extra exam in the afternoon. I didn't see any statistics so I had no idea it was so tough to get. Will congratulate her belatedly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now