KS2 SATS - did anyone at your school get Level 6 reading??

(117 Posts)
kitnkaboodle Tue 16-Jul-13 23:18:59

.. just wondering. I know it's very rare across the country. Our school entered 5 pupils and none of them got it

lljkk Thu 18-Jul-13 07:05:20

Well done to Lilyloo's DS. smile

One girl got level 6 reading and SPAG and she got level 6 maths as well. My DS3 got level 6 maths but that was all out of a class of 30. TBH, the level 6 wasn't really taught except for a couple of booster sessions. 5 took level 6 reading and SPAG and a different mix of 5 took level 6 maths.

Ragwort Thu 18-Jul-13 10:27:41

No idea - and how would you know apart from playground gossip? Honestly, when your child gets to secondary school you will look back on all this Sats rubbish and be embarrassed at yourselves for all your angst - and you will no doubt have something new to worry about grin.

None, although 2 sat it at DS's school 2 also sat level 6 maths and both did get that.

But mostly - what Ragwort just said, it is rubbish :D (although they published % of children getting each level in the newsletter so not playground gossip about how many achieved it, but it was DS who told me 2 sat it - and DS loved the SATS and talks about them a lot - he was not one of the level 6s, he just likes exams!)

Nevergiveinunless Thu 18-Jul-13 19:57:54

This year:
1 in reading
4 in writing
10ish in maths
Last Year:
DD and one other girl got all l6s
They were only 2 in reading.
5 or 6 in writing.
15 in maths
Not sure how I know all this!
Mine like exams too.

teacherwith2kids Thu 18-Jul-13 20:27:36

It's published in the school's newsletter, along with KS1 results and national results at KS1 and 2 for comparison - it's in % terms but easy to convert. Of course I canb't tell how many sat each and failed.

VeryDullNameChange Thu 18-Jul-13 20:49:47

DD told me how many children were taking the level 6s - it's not unnatural for a yr 6 child to be interested in who's doing what in their class, and to then tell their parents.

forehead Fri 19-Jul-13 14:54:56

As Rag said, the in a few weeks time we won't give a damn about the yr6
results and will be worry about what sets our dc are placed in.
TBH, i don't trust the SATS results, and i am saying this as someone whose dd did well.

peachpudding Fri 19-Jul-13 17:12:59

This is a strange thread. I have just got hold of the Comparative test Results 2013 and it says Nationally 0% got a level six in Reading. Now I understand if you round the results to the nearest whole number you could have 0.4% level six's, but from the posters on here it sounds like a bit more than that. Whats going on?

Nationally 3% got a level 6 in Maths.

Feenie Fri 19-Jul-13 18:02:38

The national results for 2013 won't be available until December - you are looking at 2012. grin

frogwatcher42 Fri 19-Jul-13 18:06:26

2 or 3 in ours i believe. Class of 30 year 6s though so biggish school.

peachpudding Fri 19-Jul-13 19:35:54

I was looking at the tables distributed by schools with the reports.

My mistake, those tables are hard to understand. Yes is does say 2012. Isn't it a bit misleading to compare 2013 results with 2012 results?

Feenie Fri 19-Jul-13 20:50:47

It is a little in this case - so many more schools seem to have taken up the level 6 tests in their 2nd year of reintroduction, which is strange since schools were always able to teacher assess at level 6.

Another reason for the low percentage of Reading Level 6s last year might be the ridiculous level boundary jump from the 2011 sample to the 2012 test - something silly like 19 marks out of 33 instead of 13. Although the 13 marks was the silly bit, I suppose, looking at it like that.

busymummy3 Fri 19-Jul-13 21:34:45

Why is there any need for this level 6 ?
My eldest DC finished primary in 2008 with level 5 in everything and level 6 teacher assessment in everything ( there was no such thing as a level 6 paper then if there was sure would have been sitting it )
Got in top sets for everything in Secondary which set initially on SAT raw score and kept in top sets all the way through .
Has just finished Y 11 and awaiting Gcse results in August , predicted all A / A* already has an A* in English Language achieved last summer in the midst of all the controversy over grade boundaries and achieved Maths A* in March this year no resits A* achieved on all modules first time.
My point is eldest DC didn't need a level 6 SAT score in primary to achieve all this so why on earth should my youngest DC when SATS are taken next year?
I do not want my DC to sit level 6 papers next year just want last year in primary to be enjoyable as far as possible..

Feenie Fri 19-Jul-13 21:37:35

Some schools - my own included - manage to provide a broad and balanced curriculum which is exciting throughout Year 6, even with level 6 tests. It hasn't changed, and nor should it.

lljkk Sat 20-Jul-13 11:18:13

I can honestly say, hand on heart, that DD has had a blast in yr6. Tonnes of sport & non SAT-related activity right into mid May. But then, she loves exams, so the L6 targets were a bonus.

lottysmum Sat 20-Jul-13 12:09:27

Tend to agree with busymummy.... my daughter just sat the 3- 5 papers and scored high percentage in all the tests and was accessed as reading age of 14 two years ago at the age of 9......

Her school did enter some children into the year 6 exams but they were having extra lessons some at lunchtimes which I think defeats the object...its the same for tutoring for 11 plus ...either your child has ability to pass the exams without extra work or they should not be entered because burnout is likely to happen at some stage...

We actually took a week out of school just before SATS and went to New York which I believe my daughter learnt more from the experience than she would have done in extra lessons ....she rides, she sails , she skies and has a love of books ...

She has been offered a place at the Kids Uni in the summer holiday increasing her ICT skills and doing web design etc....

The SATS tests are to access the teachers teaching ability - so surely extra tuition classes to pass the level 6 defeats the object?

peachpudding Sat 20-Jul-13 12:23:32

Whats silly is that children have to sit a L3-5 paper and a L6 paper. Would be much better if they had a L4-6 paper and only had to do one or the other.

I feel level six sats are needed, some children are academic and year 5 and 6 are a real waste of time for them. Hopefully as we get more transparency parents can force schools to teach children who are high achievers at an appropriate level. It feels like at the moment some schools put all their focus on L4 and ignore the more able children, who get bored.

lljkk Sat 20-Jul-13 14:01:14

I humbly submit that a decent school will teach to the child's ability regardless of whether an L6 test is intended. I'm 100% sure that's what happened for DD. The school only just scraped out of Satisfactory, too.

KaFayOLay Sat 20-Jul-13 14:47:34

I heard that there were only 25 children in the country who achieved a level 6 in reading.
Reading this thread seems to rubbish that number confused

Feenie Sat 20-Jul-13 14:49:46

Why does it? That was last year.

The numbers of schools taking up level 6 tests this year - in their 2nd year of reintroduction - are far, far higher.

partystress Sat 20-Jul-13 15:29:53

lottysmum the level 6 maths tests require children to know concepts and methods that are not part of the KS2 curriculum, so to some extent there needs to be teaching that is specifically aimed at the test. I'm not sure how this is at odds with assessing teaching? What is questionable is whether the results of L6 tests give you any real indication of a school's teaching or actually reflect the extent to which children at the school are being tutored outside school for 11+ or other entrance exams - many of these expect L6 knowledge. The thing I find most sad is that we seem to be developing a culture where we only value what is tested, levelled (and soon, ranked angry). I remember doing really interesting work in maths in my last year at primary - I was stretched, but not tested, which kept my love of maths alive.

lljkk Sat 20-Jul-13 20:36:55

DD's teacher said that the extra material they needed to cover was pretty minimal. Maybe he said that because he would have covered almost all of it in order to teach to her ability, anyway. In the end he only had 3 weeks to cover any extra material, so it couldn't have been very much.

lottysmum Sat 20-Jul-13 22:41:12

Partystress - Totally agree with yours comments re testing - my daughter's education in a county that has 3 tier schooling was good in year 5...but I've found that this year its all been geared to SATS in English and Maths ...interestingly enough there wasn't that much homework this year maybe because she was in a class where the children were already level 5 (4 forms)...her love for science this year has been amazing because she has been stretched but by learning rather than being geared to sit SATS

kitnkaboodle Sun 21-Jul-13 00:21:19

Well, I'm amazed, and baffled! It was such a small percentage that passed last year and, given the info here, last year's total has already been surpassed just by people on this thread.

Very very confused and will be interested to see the national stats once published. Anyone know when that will be??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now