Phonics experts- best catch up methods/schemes for KS2 children?

(5 Posts)
Pozzled Mon 15-Jul-13 07:49:44

I've been asked to support the literacy coordinator at my large primary, looking especially at KS2. Our reading results are not great and (from experience of reading with the children) I believe a lot of it is lack of phonic knowledge- too much guessing at unknown words.

Any ideas for the best way to address this? Should we take a scheme like sounds write and get the struggling kids through it quickly, or are there are schemes out there aimed at this kind of group? It's mostly children on a level 3- they can understand some of the main parts of the text but not the finer detail because so many words are being misread.

PhoenixUprising Mon 15-Jul-13 10:19:59

If you can do 1:1 some good choices are:

AcceleRead AcceleWrite
Dancing Bears
Toe By Toe

For small groups choices are:

Sounds Write
Read Write Inc Fresh Start

I think Fresh Start is the scheme that is most 'aimed at that group'

maverick Mon 15-Jul-13 11:26:11

I suggest you investigate the programmes marked with a pink X here:

www.dyslexics.org.uk/reading_resources_and_programmes.htm

HTH

Pozzled Mon 15-Jul-13 13:02:06

Thank you both, I'll look into those.

Ferguson Mon 15-Jul-13 17:57:04

Hi -

This Phonics Dictionary has recently been mentioned by several MN members. Whilst not a complete solution, it could be a useful - and not too expensive - supplement to other schemes already mentioned :

www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Phonics-Spelling-Dictionary-Reading/dp/019273413X/ref=pd_sxp_f_i#reader_019273413X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now