A place to be proud of your reception age DC for who they are, not academic achievement.

(63 Posts)
SeriousWispaHabit Sun 14-Jul-13 21:07:54

Following on from the 101 threads about what our 4 and 5 year-olds are 'achieving' I would like to say that I am very, very proud of DD1 for the following comments in her report:

'continuous smile lights up the room'
'sensitive to how others are feeling, particularly if they are upset'
'a 'can-do' attitude to all tasks'

Please share any comments that make you proud of your DC and the person they are becoming, and not if they are 'emerging', 'expected' or 'exceeding'.

kilmuir Fri 19-Jul-13 19:11:52

beautiful manners, beautiful smile and always ready to give a hug if someone upset, .

morethanpotatoprints Thu 18-Jul-13 23:00:47

What a fantastic thread OP
All the dc on here sound wonderful, well done to all of them.

This is nothing I didn't know anyway but my fave thing about DS's Reception report was about how much he enjoys school and loves the challenges and is happy all the time. His older sister has been nothing but worry for me ever since she started school - she hated it, had to take time out from it etc., needed to see a counsellor etc. it got really bad. So to have a child who is actually happy at school beats any academic achievement and just makes me BEAM smile

mathanxiety Thu 18-Jul-13 06:05:02

<Fwiw - If your DCs were in school in a lot of places outside of Britain this would be what their report comprised (if they even got a report) until age 7.>

I remember when DS was in 3rd grade (so going on 8 iirc) and the first thing his lovely teacher said to me when I sat down at the parent/teacher meeting was 'Mrs M, you have a kind son'. I forgot everything else she said. 12 years later he has turned out great.

MissBetseyTrotwood Wed 17-Jul-13 21:50:10

My DS2 is 'the only boy in the class who can stand up and keep the class entertained by telling them a story he's made up himself.' (He still can't read or write btw wink )

mumat39 Wed 17-Jul-13 13:32:52

Thanks SeriousWispaHabit

I'm not brave at all. I think in my case the drugs anti depressants help with the anxiety. blush

BabiesAreLikeBuses Wed 17-Jul-13 00:01:04

flowers for all whose little ones have gone through much bigger stuff than mere school to get to this point...

Ds finally has his report: he shows great curiosity and asks specific science questions such as how far is it exactly to the moon?

DD2 is just finishing reception and turns 5 at the end of August, her report includes:

'DD2 is sensitive towards other children and their needs and interests'

'she is very imaginative and will often come to an adult to show us what she has been making'

DD2 has a great sense of humour and you can't help but smile when she smiles as she looks so happy when she does'

'It has been a pleasure to teach DD2'

Head teachers comment includes

'Every time I see DD2 she looks so happy'

I'm so proud, especially as she scream when I dropped her off for the first few weeks in September!

hurryup Tue 16-Jul-13 08:00:42

Dd5 report isn't out until next week but I'm willing to bet it will say something along the lines of - lively and energetic, always smiling unless she is giggling and had an amazing array of information about the world and nature from watching too much tv I just adore her and she is my last reception child sad

BlackeyedSusan Tue 16-Jul-13 07:53:17

tsc. I had to push for ds to get a rewrd when others were getting their second and he hd not yet received one. he got it the last week they did them in the year.

BlackeyedSusan Tue 16-Jul-13 07:51:39

not picked up in the report. but ds can throw a ball straaight nd hard, and has done since he was 2. I like to imgine him on th england cricket team. shh, it is only while he is little that I can dream and not be disillusioned by reality!

KrazyKurls Mon 15-Jul-13 22:41:36

What a lovely thread, how sad for you TSC - and your DD when she looks back at her report in years to come!

DS1 "approaches everything that is asked of him with the biggest smile in the class"

I can't ask anymore, he has been critically ill on more than one occasion and if he is breathing and smiling I want for nothing else smile

TheSecondComing Mon 15-Jul-13 22:37:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mamafratelli Mon 15-Jul-13 22:34:59

Sorry worded that badly. I meant you shouldn't take it to heart. Your dd is lovely. Unfortunately she has had a shit teacher. I'm sure she will have lots of lovely teachers in the future.

Mamafratelli Mon 15-Jul-13 22:32:59

That's terrible thesecondcoming but that's about the teacher not your dd. Hopefully she will have a lovely teacher next year.

SeriousWispaHabit Mon 15-Jul-13 22:30:43

What was the response TSC?

I hate raising stuff with the teacher and I'm not very good at it (although today I had to speak to her about some of the girls teasing dd about a mole on her face, saying she is ugly and couldn't play with them hmm)

TheSecondComing Mon 15-Jul-13 22:20:01

TheSecondComing Mon 15-Jul-13 22:19:00

weblette Mon 15-Jul-13 22:13:14

Ds3's was its usual 'characterful' mix! Some lovely bits about how he helps the others and is always looking out for anyone who feels sad. Helped to gloss over his 'developing' listening skills...

My favourite line though explained that he seems to have a good grasp of money. When he was asked how to make up 7p in change when they visited the local greengrocer he suggested using a credit card.....

BabiesAreLikeBuses Mon 15-Jul-13 21:00:36

Mine are in classes of 30 and still have personal examples under several subheadings, they jot things down all year to help.
I think the handwritten teachers page is the best - and also dc's pages, dd wrote 'I have enjoyed learning the parts of a plant' and drew a bunch of flowers. Cute.

Mamafratelli Mon 15-Jul-13 20:59:08

Lovely thread!

My favourite bits are

Shows a firm awareness of the needs of others, showing consideration and kindness always.

And...is a lovely child and has been an absolute pleasure to teach; I will miss her greatly. Sob!

Lovingmybabiesbottom Mon 15-Jul-13 20:58:44

Lovely lovely thread. My children too young for school so Nothing to add, but I have a big lump in my throat!

SeriousWispaHabit Mon 15-Jul-13 20:48:41

I think it helped in DD's case that her teacher only had to write 14 of them as it is a small village primary - it was very long and detailed and I'm not expected the next one to be so detailed when she is in the mixed Y1/2 class of 28!

Periwinkle007 Mon 15-Jul-13 19:46:34

some lovely ones here

your reports seem much more personal than my daughter's was. there isn't anything really to say from hers

BabiesAreLikeBuses Mon 15-Jul-13 19:44:40

Dd: she was shy at first but has shown us her funny and cheeky sides... She can use scissors without needing direct supervision (such an important lifecycle i am v proud of her cutting!)

Ds: approaches everything with enthusiasm and is always busy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now