A place to be proud of your reception age DC for who they are, not academic achievement.

(63 Posts)
SeriousWispaHabit Sun 14-Jul-13 21:07:54

Following on from the 101 threads about what our 4 and 5 year-olds are 'achieving' I would like to say that I am very, very proud of DD1 for the following comments in her report:

'continuous smile lights up the room'
'sensitive to how others are feeling, particularly if they are upset'
'a 'can-do' attitude to all tasks'

Please share any comments that make you proud of your DC and the person they are becoming, and not if they are 'emerging', 'expected' or 'exceeding'.

Cat98 Mon 15-Jul-13 08:16:43

Lovely thread.
In the social aspect (a section that doesn't come naturally to ds) he was described as a 'kind hearted' boy who 'brings warmth to all his friends and staff'. I told him that pleased me more than any of the academic stuff smile

Gosh these are all so lovely smile. We have yet to receive DD1's report, and all I really want it to say is that she's kind, caring and happy.

Farewelltoarms Mon 15-Jul-13 09:21:47

Mine was 'kind and charismatic'. I'd love to be both those things.

"is able to listen attentively"
"he did not find xxx easy but has approached it with determination ... will persevere even when he is finding a task difficult"

but most ::howl:: of all...

"he is sensitive to the needs of the other children and is always willing to lend a helping hand if required".

May that always be true.

impecuniousmarmoset Mon 15-Jul-13 10:42:32

Sorry, another 'levels' one - got an 'exceeds expectations' on the social skills section, after spending the entire first term not speaking to anybody.

mumat39 Mon 15-Jul-13 10:46:04

OP, suh a lovely lovely thread.

AWhistling, that's so so lovely. Your DD sounds like a very determined little girl. I don't normally drink so early in the day, but sod that. Here's to your amazing DD2 wine

My DD has multiple allergies to lots of everyday foods and I was a nervous wreck at the start of last year. She has had only 4 reactions, which the school managed brilliantly. She has managed to eat school lunches with any reactions, apart from the 4. She has been on a couple of school trips, learnt to swim, hula hoop, and has exceeded the teachers expectations in all areas. The only area they said they need to work on was her speed. She is very meticulous but this makes her slow.

It's so nice to be able to talk about it. I've spent the whole year pretty much at home, by the phone, in case they called to say she'd had a reaction. Each time they did, my heart was in my mouth but the staff have managed her and the allergies so so well. I will be eternally grateful to them.

Well do to all our children! The year seems to have flown by. Here's to an equally happy Year 1!

Xxx

mumat39 Mon 15-Jul-13 10:46:40

wine

chocoholic05 Mon 15-Jul-13 10:48:33

"He is a kind and caring child who gets on well with everyone"
"He is a very polite child who always says please and thank you as appropriate"

HalleLouja Mon 15-Jul-13 10:51:57

I am still waiting for DS's report but it must be dusty in the room I am sitting in. Especially when I read Whistling Woman's post.

Hopefully they will point out all the things we know already about him.

Elibean Mon 15-Jul-13 10:58:05

A thread on Primary Ed that made me smile

Well done, OP!

steppemum Mon 15-Jul-13 14:29:54

whistling, your posts makes me well up. Makes you realise what is really important doesn't it?

I am pretty on the ball on levels etc with older kids, but dd2 is in reception, I read her report and didn't even notice the emerging/exceeding points until I came on here! I was only looking for the reception type comments, and I loved these:

dd is independent and lively with a good sense of humour..she loves to share her ideas and make people laugh... She won't give up until she has finished.

Summed her up well, and made me realise she has had a good time!

noramum Mon 15-Jul-13 16:17:53

"DD especially loved baseball and is quite competitive".

DD can't throw a ball if her life depends on it so I am proud that she is enjoying something she may never be good at.

SeriousWispaHabit Mon 15-Jul-13 18:16:30

I've just read the rest of this thread and I definitely have something in my eye, or my hayfever is playing up...

I went to the parents open evening with DD after school and she was so proud to show me her classroom, and her work. The teacher said she was always happy and helpful, and she is massively excited about going into Year 1.

So many amazing sounding children on this thread and mumat you are so much braver than I would be. It must be so hard to walk the fine line between making sure she is safe and not stopping her from doing things. Sounds like you are doing fantastically well.

BabiesAreLikeBuses Mon 15-Jul-13 19:44:40

Dd: she was shy at first but has shown us her funny and cheeky sides... She can use scissors without needing direct supervision (such an important lifecycle i am v proud of her cutting!)

Ds: approaches everything with enthusiasm and is always busy

Periwinkle007 Mon 15-Jul-13 19:46:34

some lovely ones here

your reports seem much more personal than my daughter's was. there isn't anything really to say from hers

SeriousWispaHabit Mon 15-Jul-13 20:48:41

I think it helped in DD's case that her teacher only had to write 14 of them as it is a small village primary - it was very long and detailed and I'm not expected the next one to be so detailed when she is in the mixed Y1/2 class of 28!

Lovingmybabiesbottom Mon 15-Jul-13 20:58:44

Lovely lovely thread. My children too young for school so Nothing to add, but I have a big lump in my throat!

Mamafratelli Mon 15-Jul-13 20:59:08

Lovely thread!

My favourite bits are

Shows a firm awareness of the needs of others, showing consideration and kindness always.

And...is a lovely child and has been an absolute pleasure to teach; I will miss her greatly. Sob!

BabiesAreLikeBuses Mon 15-Jul-13 21:00:36

Mine are in classes of 30 and still have personal examples under several subheadings, they jot things down all year to help.
I think the handwritten teachers page is the best - and also dc's pages, dd wrote 'I have enjoyed learning the parts of a plant' and drew a bunch of flowers. Cute.

weblette Mon 15-Jul-13 22:13:14

Ds3's was its usual 'characterful' mix! Some lovely bits about how he helps the others and is always looking out for anyone who feels sad. Helped to gloss over his 'developing' listening skills...

My favourite line though explained that he seems to have a good grasp of money. When he was asked how to make up 7p in change when they visited the local greengrocer he suggested using a credit card.....

TheSecondComing Mon 15-Jul-13 22:19:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheSecondComing Mon 15-Jul-13 22:20:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SeriousWispaHabit Mon 15-Jul-13 22:30:43

What was the response TSC?

I hate raising stuff with the teacher and I'm not very good at it (although today I had to speak to her about some of the girls teasing dd about a mole on her face, saying she is ugly and couldn't play with them hmm)

Mamafratelli Mon 15-Jul-13 22:32:59

That's terrible thesecondcoming but that's about the teacher not your dd. Hopefully she will have a lovely teacher next year.

Mamafratelli Mon 15-Jul-13 22:34:59

Sorry worded that badly. I meant you shouldn't take it to heart. Your dd is lovely. Unfortunately she has had a shit teacher. I'm sure she will have lots of lovely teachers in the future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now