Understanding the Reception report

(57 Posts)
Flowerpower07 Sun 14-Jul-13 07:51:21

hi I wandered if anyone can help. We received my Ds report and don't understand the levels. he received 11 exceeding and 6 expected. the teacher didn't explain this in parents evening. can you tell me what level he is at. thanks

Periwinkle007 Thu 01-Aug-13 17:02:42

we haven't had homework really either. reading books - up to 3 a week if they have finished them, a little exercise book of phonics or writing homework (about 5 mins) once a week. that is all.

simpson Thu 01-Aug-13 17:38:49

DD had loads of homework.

A numeracy task ie writing numbers to 10 or 20, one more/less than, counting in 2s and 5s or number sentences (sums to me!).

Literacy: writing what she did at the weekend, writing a food menu for a particular country, filling in a passport for a character (describing them etc).

She would get one task in literacy and numeracy per week, not all of the above at the same time!

Guided reading: comprehension questions (about 10) on the book given to be written down.

Extension homework: to do a book report on a book of her choice.

2 or 3 reading books per week.

And a task to make something ie binoculars, decorate a boiled egg, Easter Bonnet, a tractor out of 3D shapes, a shaker etc...

Periwinkle007 Thu 01-Aug-13 18:48:54

wow Simpson, that is a lot.

we had nothing like that. They did some of that stuff in school but nothing at home. I am still not sure they actually did guided reading at any higher than book band 3... DD1 is adamant they didn't do any reading at all in her literacy group, just the whole class on the interactive white board. No evidence of any comprehension questions in her learning journey either.

simpson Thu 01-Aug-13 19:25:50

Well they still did not twig that in phonics the kids were asked to write a tricky word down and the first got a sticker, so DD wrote "I" every time <<sigh>>

She did guided reading at stage 8 although it was mainly non fiction.

She loves doing homework so was fine with it all and it sounds a lot but worked out maybe 10-15 mins a day. The only annoying bit was the making stuff.

But DS (yr3) would no way have coped with that amount when he was in reception.

Periwinkle007 Thu 01-Aug-13 20:05:22

hahahaha - crafty!

my daughter wouldn't have minded some bits but she was never keen on homework. she would happily make something or write something if she chose to do it but as soon as someone suggested she did it all hell broke loose.

BabiesAreLikeBuses Mon 05-Aug-13 08:14:49

lcb70 you can google pips tests, from what i can gather most schools ditched them years ago, but ours use them to get a general idea of reading and maths levels they are so old they brought a teacher out of retirement to administer them
I think as a parent it was useful for them to see his maths level as at school nursery year nobody noticed this and i knew his interest in it was unusually high.
My main point was that a good quality teacher makes a huge difference, expectations in a mixed intake should not be lower as pre school experience and input is so diverse.
I'm not sure how important the homework has been, dd has enjoyed it all and ds has loved non-writing weeks and in the summer term writing much less of an issue now he is quicker at forming letters.

mrz Mon 05-Aug-13 19:52:00

PiPs is an on entry baseline assessment developed by Durham University who use the data as part of ongoing educational research

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now