Calling all SENCOs, how do you think the action short of strike could affect provision for children with SEN?

(105 Posts)
daftdame Sat 13-Jul-13 21:54:52

Just this really. Following on from another thread that mentioned the action I am concerned about the knock on effects for children with SEN. Only being 'allowed' to report annually does not work for this group of children. Progress needs to be closely monitored and shared with parents along with other bodies. Annual reviews, along with end of year reports, along with meetings with SALT for example. All this requires teacher input. All in accordance with SEN CoP.

daftdame Thu 18-Jul-13 20:16:20

Good. Even if you were I'm sure you'd make it work, somehow smile.

mrz Thu 18-Jul-13 20:14:12

well I'm not striking or working to rule, so our SEN children will be fine

daftdame Thu 18-Jul-13 20:10:41

yep.

mrz Thu 18-Jul-13 20:09:50

I can just see the MN thread about inconsiderate teachers and childcare

Speaking at the mum of a SEN child I would say SEN children have to try harder I'm afraid it's a fact of life

daftdame Thu 18-Jul-13 20:07:23

Oops, got me there but I like the song..

Seriously in some ways I prefer a strike, equal disruption all round...

This last week, for example I have noted a number of threads, which refer to what I can only describe as 'badly written report's'. Children with SEN who have been told to 'try harder' when the difficulty is due to their SEN (which apparently has not been tackled). 'Generic comment bank' anyone?

mrz Thu 18-Jul-13 19:57:09

now you are joking

daftdame Thu 18-Jul-13 19:54:27

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lKwXwU5iWs

Look here's some solidarity for you...

mrz Thu 18-Jul-13 19:53:15

The reason teachers are working to rule rather than striking is so that children aren't affected by the action

daftdame Thu 18-Jul-13 19:48:37

You've a funny old view of me! grin

Seriously if 'help' was around I would hope they would help in an emergency, even if it was beyond their 'job description'.

If you read what I was saying 'Ultimately..' was meant to convey ..'.if taken to the 'enth degree..' '...needs doing' is open ended as is 'within their capabilities.'

I just hope the Union Action is mindfully undertaken...

balia Thu 18-Jul-13 19:40:56

Ah, I get it - you're 'good to the help' so you don't have to worry your head about respecting people's working conditions or their professionalism. They should be grateful for the work and the chance to be patronised drink tea.

daftdame Wed 17-Jul-13 22:41:33

No balia I would be making them tea!

balia Wed 17-Jul-13 21:37:10

Interesting point of view...have you ever tried that argument with other professionals? Have you suggested to your plumber, for example, that they should perhaps wallpaper your walls and cook tea, as this is clearly within their capabilities? How dare they be entitled and elitist when they comes to your house to do the plumbing (eg what they get paid for) - they could easily be flexible and responsive and do a bit of ironing...

The reality is that this government have made teaching such an unnattractive profession that there are not enough applicants this year (and that's applicants, not people who are qualified/suitable/who might pass the course). How realistic is it to try and run an education system without enough teachers?

mrz Tue 16-Jul-13 06:36:29

Action short of a strike simply means do the job you are paid to do.

mrz Tue 16-Jul-13 06:35:36

Much of the paperwork isn't necessary to the day to day working of the school it is a paper exercise to please external sources ... school goes on as normal with or without it

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 23:04:16

I still think it could be...I always think people should do whatever needs doing that is within their capabilities. Being overly rigid regarding your role puts an extra layer of bureaucracy onto everything. This wastes time and energy and ultimately money. It is not flexible or responsive enough to be realistic. Ultimately it can be entitled and elitist.

Cloudminnow Mon 15-Jul-13 22:55:29

Your posts suggest that you think that the Action Short of Strike is disruptive and harmful to the children, that's all.

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 22:48:22

I don't understand what I've not understood.

Cloudminnow Mon 15-Jul-13 22:44:25

Daft it has become evident throughout this thread that you really don't understand the Action Short of Strike. Please don't worry - no children will suffer because of the action. It is not even meant to be disruptive to Management, let alone to the children, it is simply teachers doing what they are supposed to do i.e. focus on teaching and 'engagement', instead of taking time away from this to do admin tasks.

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 22:32:25

Working to rule does not help with engagement though.

Panzee Mon 15-Jul-13 22:26:34

Yes it would. But engagement works two ways.

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 22:22:17

But surely problems with management decisions would be better dealt with by communicating and engaging with them instead of working to rule.

juniper9 Mon 15-Jul-13 22:17:00

For example, right now I'm spending my evening writing transition notes for my class.

They're not for the next teacher- they're for management. Why management need to know the specific writing targets for the different groups in my class is beyond me, and it certainly hasn't been explained.

Next week I will meet with my class' new teacher and talk them through the important stuff they need to know. This paperwork I'm completing now is purely being done because I've been told to, not because it will benefit the new teacher.

Panzee Mon 15-Jul-13 22:16:11

Believe me, not putting up yet another display incorporating what guff management have decided we need to do on no evidence that it helps learning, or not filling in yet another form to record assessments and levels that we'd already done the week before in a different format will have no impact on learning.

juniper9 Mon 15-Jul-13 22:15:11

Management have a habit of deciding on a new policy without considering the workload created. For example, at present we assess writing using 3 different schemes. This is time consuming and pointless.

Each person in management has their own ideas which they push through, not taking into account how many other things the class teachers have been asked to do. Lots of the paper work is unnecessary and makes no difference to teaching or learning.

NASUWT and NUT propose that no new policy is implemented without it first being checked for its impact on time. If it's decided that it is going to improve standards, then fine. The issue comes from having to jump through hoops for numerous different people, when the overall outcome remains the same. The point is that a lot of the work doesn't have to be done. There are no proven benefits, apart from numerous cooks who all think their broth recipe is the best.

The list Mrz showed before has been around for donkey's years- it isn't specific to this action.

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 22:06:59

The school management team is part of the school. Disrupt them and disrupt the school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now