Calling all SENCOs, how do you think the action short of strike could affect provision for children with SEN?

(105 Posts)
daftdame Sat 13-Jul-13 21:54:52

Just this really. Following on from another thread that mentioned the action I am concerned about the knock on effects for children with SEN. Only being 'allowed' to report annually does not work for this group of children. Progress needs to be closely monitored and shared with parents along with other bodies. Annual reviews, along with end of year reports, along with meetings with SALT for example. All this requires teacher input. All in accordance with SEN CoP.

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 20:49:23

mrz I'm pleased that reminding children to out on sun cream would not be against the union action. I used that example after gauging attitudes to the suggestion that teachers do this on mumsnet.

However the indirect results of the TAs designated to children with SEN doing any of these tasks ( on the list you have given) instead of supporting the children they are designated to support could be just as harmful to those SEN children.

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 20:50:04

^ put on sun cream

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 20:52:33

Some TAs are also used for teacher cover...

mrz Mon 15-Jul-13 21:02:52

The TAs designated to SEN children should not be doing these tasks when children are in school ... they may be asked to do them before or after school depending on contracted hours.

mrz Mon 15-Jul-13 21:04:04

Most of the 24 tasks would be undertaken outside teaching hours

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 21:06:31

Hmm how on earth do you tackle it when they are? They could be in the same classroom as the child who is entitled to their support with another more junior TA or student. Even if the child is copying their need is being distorted as the support is there on paper.

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 21:07:08

^ with regards to covering.

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 21:08:01

^coping

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 21:08:48

Sorry coping not copying.

MaybeBentley Mon 15-Jul-13 21:09:49

Why on earth would a child be copying? Surely there is no educational value from copying text.

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 21:11:02

It was a typo I meant copying.

MaybeBentley Mon 15-Jul-13 21:11:41

Sorry, but copying what?

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 21:14:50

My sentence should have read

Even if the child is coping their need is being distorted as the support is there on paper.

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 21:16:21

Apologies auto correct is being very annoying.

MaybeBentley Mon 15-Jul-13 21:16:47

Thanks, I understand now.

mrz Mon 15-Jul-13 21:26:42

Our 1-1 TAs don't ever cover teachers we use supply teachers

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 21:31:38

So it could be a difficult thing for parents to tackle if their child's TA is covering for the class teacher along with a more junior TA. If the child copes with this, their need is still being distorted because the TA is present in the classroom, the provision looks like it has been made on paper. It can be difficult to determine, for the parent, whether the child has received the support the school claims to be providing.

The TA would be covering because no teacher would cover and the SMT will not arrange supply.

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 21:33:09

Ah, another difference mrz.

mrz Mon 15-Jul-13 21:34:09

If a school uses TAs to cover teachers it has nothing to do with working to rule but everything to do with poor school management

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 21:37:14

In my mind it all links up...I'm not sure which is cause and which is effect but I can see how working to rule leads management to seek cost cutting measures elsewhere.

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 21:39:19

And it is legal for TAs to cover teachers.

balia Mon 15-Jul-13 21:40:10

The union action is an attempt to protect children, including those with SEN, without disrupting the provision too much. You know that Mr Gove wants to get rid of all TA's, right?

mrz Mon 15-Jul-13 21:44:29

It is legal for TAs to cover teachers in emergencies for short periods of time in certain circumstances. This doesn't mean that a child's 1-1 support should be effectively removed for this purpose.

none of the situations you have suggested would be a result of working to rule daftdame.

juniper9 Mon 15-Jul-13 21:44:48

Choosing to cover the class teacher by using an SEN child's TA is not a decision made my class teachers- it is made by management.

In my school, the TAs who are paid for out of the SEN budget do not do photocopying/ displays within class time. We have other TAs, who are not there for specified children, to do this.

We have been told numerous times to not have TAs photocopying etc during lesson times- it's meant to all happen before and after school.

In my experience, if the action points of an IEP are not being followed, then that's due to the SENCO not directing the TAs properly (usually because they get taken away and used for different tasks).

I think you're misguided on what the action means. I'm not sure if it's because you genuinely don't understand the lingo, or because you're trying to find evidence that it proves the union are neglecting SEN children.

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 21:49:25

Yes. I can see pros and cons to this to be honest. To often SEN children are left to the TAs and the teachers have little vital interaction with the actual child.

If the child is not receiving support from a designated TA but the support goes elsewhere because the child no longer needs their support then this would come to light.

Other strategies which allow a child to work independently, such as check-lists and programmes which would actually tackle difficulties instead of managing them, may not be explored when a TA is their to 'police' behaviour or physically scribe for a child for example.

The cons are obviously when the child needs the support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now