Dds report is ALL negative.

(48 Posts)
Worriedmind Sat 13-Jul-13 18:48:46

Ok my dd has sen, she has never had a bad report, last year some issues with concentration were raised but this year told no further issues. She was not being noisy/disruptive but sitting quietly because she didn't understand.

Report says her literacy is poor.
she cannot read between lines
She takes things literally.
She cannot draw accurately
She can't grasp basic maths problems.
Her handwriting is poor.

Only positive is pe which says she is basically terrible at it but tries hard.

It then goes on and on about poor concentration and poor listening. Reading it makes it look like she is noisy and disruptive in class and she isn't.

She is Dyspraxic and has a processing disorder and all above are issues relating to that but there's no mention of her sen at all. No mention this year at all until now about concentration issues.

captainbarnacle Sat 13-Jul-13 18:51:35

How do you know for sure she always sits silently in class?

Worriedmind Sat 13-Jul-13 18:56:41

The teacher told me verbally she is like a quiet little mouse in class and was encouraging her to talk more/join in discussions. (former selective mute)

i was told there were several incidents were she hadn't understood but she had been so quiet they hadn't realised she hadn't done her work.

The concentration issues last year were her fiddling in her tray last year which i know is annoying and i told dd off for it.

JuliaScurr Sat 13-Jul-13 18:57:00

phone on Monday to get an apt with the SENCO
souns like a poorly written report

daftdame Sat 13-Jul-13 18:57:11

I too would be a bit peeved that the school had not talked to you re. how they were tackling these issues before this.

On the positive side these are all issues that can be worked upon. I think you need a meeting with the school to see what their plans are.

JuliaScurr Sat 13-Jul-13 18:58:56

'several incidents' of the same thing tells me they are not meeting her SEN requirements

Pancakeflipper Sat 13-Jul-13 19:00:35

Get an appointment with the teacher and the SEN leader

Nothing positive ? And have they not brought this to your attention prior to the report?

ouryve Sat 13-Jul-13 19:00:53

Do you have a parents' evening, Worried? I'd use it to ask how they plan to help her address her inconvenient to them, by the sound of it difficulties.

Communication between home and school is especially important for kids with SEN - an academic year is a ridiculous amount of time for her to be drifting without them talking to you about it.

ClaraOswald Sat 13-Jul-13 19:05:12

Why have they not brought it to your attention before the end of the year?

Does the school have a SENCO on place, and does your DD have a LSA?

Worriedmind Sat 13-Jul-13 19:09:56

Thank you, i am not against them telling me dd has been a pain in the arse if she has but the report makes it sound like she's the worse behaved child in the class and she has never been kept in at play/sent to head/name on board ever. Both head and teacher said how quiet she is in last few weeks.

Bit peeved because we are actually looking at a new school that will meet her needs and she's never had a bad report before now and potential schools have asked for report.

I have had issues most of year, teacher rewards academic achievement so dd has never been star of the week or day or prize box or anything and has been bullied most of the year too.

I don't hold much hope, i have only met senco twice in juniors despite being on school action plus and iep. Her next teacher is cousin of current teacher and senco is wife of next teacher so any pre judgements of dd will no doubt follow on sad

Worriedmind Sat 13-Jul-13 19:11:59

Had parents evening in April, no behaviour issues raised at all.

She goes out five times a week for 1-1 or small group work and told by TA how good she is.

trinity0097 Sat 13-Jul-13 19:15:39

Poor concentration and poor listening do not mean outwardly disruptive behaviour. Many children happily manage to disrupt only their own learning!

Look on it positively, it's far better that the teacher has been truthful about issues/difficulties as it may help you gain extra support. It's now in writing and can be used as evidence if needs be. Previous teachers have probably sugar coated reports as then there's no comeback from parents.

daftdame Sat 13-Jul-13 19:16:00

Hope all goes well for you and your dd OP.

It does take longer for some children to grasp some things or they learn better through different teaching methods. This does not mean they can not be well behaved or do well academically just that the particular kind of teaching method is not hitting the spot somehow.

sheridand Sat 13-Jul-13 19:38:02

What trinity said.
A lack of concentration isn't always linked to disruptive behaviour. I had terrible concentration, but spent the time doodling instead. It is far, far better to have an honest report, and to get the help you need than otherwise. It sounds as if you have leeway now to ask for an assessment for a statement, or at least a series of IEP's.

If there is a processing disorder I would expect them to have an IEP in place anyway, perhaps focusing on concentrations, instructions and so on. I know I do several of these, with barrier games and so on as a focus. Ask for a meeting and express your concerns. Again, it's not a "bad" report. They say she tries hard, they've just identified problems, and it's GOOD that they have. Try to stay positive, although I know it's hard.

RandomMess Sat 13-Jul-13 19:42:31

I would not be impressed with the lack of input from the school overall based on what you've written in your posts sad I hope her new school is a huge improvement.

Worriedmind Sat 13-Jul-13 20:07:49

Thankyou.
She is on iep already, her iep says nothing about concentration or listening.

Got other stuff going on so just a bit stressed at moment!

RandomMess Sat 13-Jul-13 20:14:35

I wonder if the school are just out of their depth with her and don't want to admit they should have referred her for further assessment/got one to one help with far far sooner?

daftdame Sat 13-Jul-13 21:01:15

In my experience some teachers will just complain when all is not perfect. Even when learning issues are being tackled, a lot of improvement is progressive, rather than overnight.

It could be just one teacher. Of course the bullying won't help matters...

mrz Sat 13-Jul-13 21:23:50

Reading that as a SENCO it cries out as a child who has some significant problems that are going to require support rather than a negative reflection on a child.

Worriedmind Sun 14-Jul-13 08:41:40

Thanks all.

MrZ I didn't realise you were a senco.

[compiles list of questions] grin

mrz Sun 14-Jul-13 09:22:11

Obviously I don't have the report in front of me but from your OP it doesn't sound like a badly behaved child just a child who has difficulty with attention/concentration if that helps.

Worriedmind Mon 15-Jul-13 10:35:45

Thanks MrZ

I spoke to teacher this morning who said she is very well behaved, is not being disruptive at all but in last couple of months she has occasionally talked when meant to be doing work or fiddled in her tray in (her words) the way all the other kids have. It is not on a regular basis.

I will fully back them up and have told them so but its written FIVE times in her one page report and that does not read as a child who has occasionally done what the other kids are doing and not causing a major issue. sad

daftdame Mon 15-Jul-13 11:21:20

Worried So it sounds like the teacher has admitted she was exaggerating the concentration problems. '...the way all the other kids have' sounds like the lack of concentration is in the range of what is normal and so should have been dealt with at this stage without further comment.

Because this is within the normal range, the lack of concentration should not be affecting her learning any more significantly than lack of concentration / listening does for any 'normal' child. The difficulties your daughter has therefore, must be due to some other factor, which is not being dealt with adequately.

The comments in the report sound as if the teacher was trying to push the blame for any gaps in learning on to your daughter (or at least her implied concentration issues) rather than the teacher being able teach her effectively (by that I mean using methods which take into consideration her actual difficulties).

Worriedmind Mon 15-Jul-13 11:33:20

She said it had happened a couple of times in the last couple of months and therefore she wanted to mention it in her report (five times??)

I spoke to her about this and said I felt we should have been told earlier.
She said as it was not a major issue it was dealt with in class with a gentle reminder to focus.

She said if she told parents everything that happened she would be writing everyday....

Worriedmind Mon 15-Jul-13 11:41:27

MrZ do you know how far behind they have to be to apply for a statement?

She is currently at 2a for maths, 3c for literacy and is a year 5.

Report says
Struggles to work independently
Finds it difficult to find the message in stories and readings
Finds it difficult to read between the lines
Forgets Full stops and capital letters
Finds basic maths functions difficult
finds written calculation difficult
Finds it difficult to grasp new concepts
Cannot give reasons for predictions
Can verbally explain her results but finds it difficult to write them
Cannot research the past
Needs support using equipment
Struggles with foreign languages and must practice regularly (never had anything home to practice)
Finds it difficult to draw with precision

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now