SATs results today. I hate Gove!

(100 Posts)
auntiezzzzz Tue 09-Jul-13 23:39:57

OK this is going to sound like a stealth boast so I'll get it out of the way early - my DD is good at maths. I'm very proud of her but just so pissed off at how children are put through these ridiculous tests at such a young age.

DD came home today and told me she'd "failed" the maths paper. Of course I said she can't have failed. It's not that sort of test. Anyway turns out she got 30/50 on the L6 paper. The top mark in the school. Obviously a fantastic achievement and I am so proud of her.

But no - she thinks she failed because she didn't get the L6.

My issue is why the fucking fuck is my 11 yr old daughter getting upset about "failing" when it's the last two weeks of primary and she should be practising her sack race skills.

If these tests are for the schools, government etc then why do they have to even tell the kids and parents. And if they're for the kids / parents, shouldn't there be some sort of sliding scale for achievement. Not just a cliff-edge pass / fail mark.

Anyone else's DCs just miss out on the next threshold up? Are they upset by it, or are most kids not bothered?

curlew Wed 10-Jul-13 09:34:11

I have to say that I would be seriously pissed off that the school put her in for the level 6 at all. They don't have to- they should only put in the ones who are as close to a certainty as possible. If 30/50 was the highest mark then I don't think the school should have put any in for the level 6 test.

DocMarten Wed 10-Jul-13 09:35:18

everything about SATS is crap.
The cramming the child.
The results have no bearing on the future.
Secondary schools take no notice of them and do their own streaming after a few weeks anyway.
Kids worry.
Parents fret.
And the league tables are skewed.

Pile O Shit

TheMoonOnAStick Wed 10-Jul-13 09:39:35

My ds did level 6. I'm not interested in SATS one way or the other but they must have thought he was ok at English to put him in for it. I've no idea what he got but the minute SATS were done the school have have put yr6 and 5 together and he's now left to work with a group a year younger than himhmm

I'll be glad when this absurd year is done tbh.

curlew Wed 10-Jul-13 09:42:01

"
Secondary schools take no notice of them and do their own streaming after a few weeks anyway."

Don't assume this- some do take a lot of notice- check what your secondary school does!

piggywigwig Wed 10-Jul-13 09:53:42

They're meaningless to us - when DD2 goes to secondary, they do CATs to stream. In YR7 at DD2's superselective, there's loads of children who have come from independent schools and so have never taken SATS: so they're pretty meaningless to the school in some respects, too.

curlew Wed 10-Jul-13 09:59:33

Well, at my ds's school, they set according to SATs and primary school reports, and you stay there til January. Which is a long time to be in the wrong set...........

bruffin England Wed 10-Jul-13 10:01:28

At dcs school they use SATs and CATs to stream and target so it complete nonsense to say that secondary schools ignore them. They are streamed from day 1 and CATs are taken on transfer day in July.

NoComet Wed 10-Jul-13 10:08:29

Very bad form not giving Y6s results in an envolope for parents and not telling them what it is.

They are too young to share results if they don't want to.

Secondary was different, we all got our subject test results in class and read each others reports. School didn't bother with envolopes, they knew no one wouldn't open them.

DDs' secondary ones are on the web, so completely private, which is how it should be. Only trouble is school have very easily forgettable parental login codes and a sytem that crashes. Therefore, I'm not convinced all parents ever bother to read them.

SoupDragon Wed 10-Jul-13 10:19:42

But no - she thinks she failed because she didn't get the L6.

Technically she is right in that she failed to pass the L6 paper. What you need to do (although not given she seems happy today!) is explain what this means. ie she didn't pass that paper but she did pass the level 5 which is still above average. It's like "failing" a GCSE aged 11. Her achievement is still fantastic.

I think children now don't get to "fail" very often as there seems to be a general lack of competition in schools. They don't always get that "failing" isn't necessarily a bad thing and it isn't the end of the world.

SoupDragon Wed 10-Jul-13 10:20:41

I agree that results should always be given to the parent so that disappointments can be dealt with in private.

FriendlyLadybird Wed 10-Jul-13 10:28:48

We haven't got ours yet. An ENTIRE CLASS took L6 maths at my DS's school. I'd always said to DS that he didn't have to take it if he didn't want to, but they did all get rather pushed into it. Unless they really are all very brilliant (which my DS isn't, certainly in maths -- good, but not brilliant) I can't help thinking that there will be a load more disappointment than there needed to be.

littleducks Wed 10-Jul-13 10:34:54

I will admit to not having read the whole thread and while I agree with the sentiments about testing I don't understand why you are blaming Gove? He had plenty of failing but I'm not sure thus is one...

I did the level 6 maths says paper 17/18 years ago (and didn't pass it as it happens but passed 11 plus maths which was far more important to me) so its not a give policy surely.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 10-Jul-13 10:51:38

I don't understand what this has to do with Gove, this was all in place long before him.

I also don't understand the issue with aiming high and maybe not quite getting there. Children need to learn to cope with 'failure' and sooner that idea becomes part of normality so that it doesn't floor them completely the better. This idea that our children shouldn't try to do anything incase they don't quite get it right is completely unrealistic.

I agree that results should be given to parents rather than made public in class.

Fifis25StottieCakes Wed 10-Jul-13 13:34:37

Mine got 5 5 5 but has been so worried about her Maths, she missed out on a 5 by 2 marks so now she is upset, i don't push her, i said a 4 was great as she was really struggling, she sat and stewed about it last night

chicaguapa Wed 10-Jul-13 13:45:09

We haven't got DD's results yet but had a conversation about them last night. She said she bets she's failed the L6 papers, but I had to point out that it is not a pass or fail scenario and that we had talked about the difference between L5 & L6 at the time. Then she said 'oh yeah' and walked off!

We will take her out for a meal at a restaurant of her choice whatever she gets, because we want to celebrate how brilliantly she approached these SATs and her whole attitude towards them. We were really pleased with how motivated she was to do well, without getting herself all worked up over it.

We have said all along that it's her attitude towards these tests/ exams that will make the difference to her as an adult, not necessarily the results she gets. So that's what we'll be focussing on anyway.

Lancelottie Wed 10-Jul-13 18:41:28

DD, bizarrely, appears to have got Level 6 Spelling/Grammar, but 5 for everything else -- even her bete noire, maths.

She is pissed off.

Weird kid.

clam Wed 10-Jul-13 18:44:39

It doesn't get any better as they get older. My son got 9 As and 2 A*s at GCSE, plus a couple of Bs. He was upset, because the media (and his peers) had led him to believe that only A*s count, a bit like Olympic golds.

Arisbottle Wed 10-Jul-13 18:47:37

My daughter also did not get her level 6 for maths and came home gutted. I am relieved because it means she will not have level 8 targets for maths at the end or Year 9, So if she achieves a level 8 she will see this as the great achievement it is and not just the expected.

A level 6 for spelling and grammar is impressive .

FourLittleDudes Wed 10-Jul-13 18:49:47

My ds has dyslexia and I wanted to withdraw him from the SATS but was told his results would make a difference to how much funding he will get for extra help when he starts senior school.

He got level 3 for most things, a 4 for maths and a 5 for science, I have no idea what these stand for, I'm just glad its all over and done with.

mrz Wed 10-Jul-13 19:12:45

It means he's at the expected level for a Y6 child in maths the expected level for a 14 year old in science and slightly behind in English

FourLittleDudes Wed 10-Jul-13 19:15:36

Thank you, seems he's doing well then smile even to get a 3 in English is better than expected as he really does struggle and have lots of 1-2-1 and SN classes. He had a reader to read his papers to him, just a shame they didn't write it down and spell it for him too wink

Elibean Wed 10-Jul-13 20:00:58

I don't have a problem with SATS, really, and certainly don't blame Gove for them.

But I do think a certain relationship exists between the pushiness of certain schools, and Gove's attitudes and policies.

And I loathe and detest what pushy schools can do to children, and childhood.

Luckily, unpushy parents are a good strong antidote (and luckily for me, my dc don't go to a pushy school) smile

OP, congrats to your dd - I hope she enjoys the rest of her term and celebrates with her friends!

How do you all know the exact marks they got and how close to the next level they were? Our's just said the level they achieved. DS got a 4a in maths but in his mid year report it said he could potentially get 5c, just curious how close he was, and actually very proud of him to be slightly above average in maths with me as his mathematically challenged mother! He is also v. proud of himself for the 5's on the other papers but has immediately asked for a reward. F'ing reward culture!

Also a pushy school and v. sad to hear of a number of children being disappointed with their results, what a horrible thing to have to feel as an 11 year old sad

NoComet Wed 10-Jul-13 20:26:53

Why is Mr Give to blame, because he is Education minister

As Elibean said "I do think a certain relationship exists between the pushiness of certain schools, and Gove's attitudes and policies.

And I loathe and detest what pushy schools can do to children, and childhood."

Precisely, Mr G may not have invented SATs or my other least favourite organisation OFTED, but he has done the opposite of reining them in and reducing the harm they cause.

NoComet Wed 10-Jul-13 20:39:56

DD2 did extra maths after school purely because the school had been down graded in it's OFSTED three years before for poor results.

I happen to know this was a total farce because those 'poor' results were DD1's class.

It's a small school, each DC is worth 7-10% of the marks, a couple of DCs having a good or a bad day makes a ridiculous difference.

DD1's cohort are way less confident and way more likely to have a bad day than DD2's bunch and that's what happened, two or three of them missed their L5s by the the odd mark.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now