Pre-prep/prep schools in Wimbledon

(17 Posts)
UKtoParis Fri 06-Dec-13 16:21:37

Although this threat has not been touched for a while - I wanted to know what other people think about Donhead, Hall and Ibstock? Would like to hear + and -
Thanks

charlie567 Mon 15-Jul-13 18:40:37

Thanks Schmedz & wobbly pig for your input. May have given wrong impression - not wanting to hot house dcs, & keen on genuinely all round education - but want them to be in a position where they will be at least stretched & not wanting to exclude them from more academic route later on if that proves to be right for them. But it seems no point in thinking about Rowans or squirrels - right? So for DS we seem to have ended up with the hall, willington, or st Matthews & for DD, with time more on our side, st matts, the hall, the study or whs? Decisions, decisions!!

Schmedz Sun 14-Jul-13 22:44:03

St Matthews is lovely, only one form entry so even if you are lucky enough to gain a nursery place, it is difficult to get a school place unless you have a sibling there...but certainly worth a try, especially if you wanted your DC at the same school.

Hall School junior school is not actually in Wimbledon but off the A3 in Putney Vale.

For girls, I understand the Study is non selective on academics but runs on a writing list admissions policy but could be wrong. Hear lovely things about Ursuline Prep and have friends with children there who are happy. WHS brilliant for an able child (is academically selective) and heavily oversubscribed so seems to suit the children that manage to gain places the majority of the time...certainly not a hothouse, but works at suitable pace for the ability intake.

Boys - Donhead and Willington have great reputation as 'all round' schools with some boys going on to 'academic schools'. Romans and Squirrels are definitely considered feeder schools to the very academic preps.

Best way to judge is visiting for yourself. Not sure how St Matthews works with visits as it is state, but all the others will have open days in the Autumn and possibly other days throughout the year as well. You will need to get your applications in Oct/Nov for school next September so best to ask for a visit if you need to see the school before an Official Open Day. Most would offer occasional visits for parents.

Good luck deciding.

Wobblypig Sun 14-Jul-13 20:31:46

Really depends on your child, whs freaks me out and wouldn't have been right for my daughter, although we are also not catholic we went for Ursuline prep and so far best decision we have made for our daughter.
We turned down a place at the Study which is a lovely school spoken of v. highly but not because of any problem with the school.

With regard to Willington you are right not forcibly academic but 100percent 13 plus pass rate with boys going to the schools they want.

If you are dead set on high-powered academics at an early age you have to look at the kings feeders and whs if not there are some other really lovely preps around.
The thing you need to bear in mind is that if the children don't keep up you may be looking elsewhere later on , personally I think that is unacceptable pressure on small children.

charlie567 Sat 13-Jul-13 22:43:28

Thanks primafacie - were not RC so don't think Ursuline or Donhead are for us... I had looked at the willington website but thought it seemed to go out of its way to stress that the school was not academic & so hadn't pursued it - maybe a mistake? News on Wimbledon high would be great - as a GDST girl for 14 years myself - a life sentence! - I feel I have quite a stake -am fairly sure we'll be applying!

Primafacie Thu 11-Jul-13 23:18:24

Try Castle Kindergarten, they have a good track record with getting kids in good schools. Do book ahead though.

Rowans is also well regarded but hard to get in, like Squirrels. You may be too late - sorry. Occasional places do come up though.

Willington and Donhead - I've heard lots of good things about both. Parents rave about them.

If your son goes to Donhead, look up Ursuline prep for your DD for the convenience factor.

Our own DD will start at Wimbledon High in September - I can give you an update if you'd like in a few months?

Veuveandlilies Thu 11-Jul-13 19:42:46

Yes sorry I meant where are you living!!
Don't know st Matthews at all sorry
try this website

You can apply for a nursery place I'm sure.

My son went to a great private nursery but closer to South Wimbledon.

charlie567 Thu 11-Jul-13 07:37:34

Did you mean 'living' Veuveanndlilies or is that a mumsnet acronym?- bit new to this!! If so, think near to St Matthews school... Does that mean we could apply for a nursery place there? I don't know anything about it...

Veuveandlilies Wed 10-Jul-13 22:25:04

Do you know whereabouts exactly you will be kig

charlie567 Wed 10-Jul-13 21:49:10

Thanks for comments - any suggestions for a nursery for DS (2.5) that will take her up to 4.5?

Veuveandlilies Wed 10-Jul-13 07:15:10

From our experience the others have quite long waiting lists. HSW doesn't, as they will open up another class if necessary

Veuveandlilies Wed 10-Jul-13 07:12:58

here's the other thread
The Hall School Wimbledon is a lovely school, feel like I'm rambling on about it all the time!!

TenToWine Tue 09-Jul-13 23:27:51

I thought the hall was north london but maybe there is another one!

TenToWine Tue 09-Jul-13 23:26:58

Girls - Wimbledon high prep or the study

Boys - squirrels ( feeder into kings)

Don't know much about them as don't live in area but have friends with academic DC at each of them who have been happy with them. Squirrels not for everyone though.

charlie567 Tue 09-Jul-13 23:21:09

No I hadn't but will do thanks.

Wobblypig Tue 09-Jul-13 23:15:02

There is another current thread about this. Have you looked at willington and donhead?

charlie567 Tue 09-Jul-13 22:51:44

We're moving to wimbledon in summer 2014 & looking for schools for our DS & DD who will be 4.5 & 2.5 (DS at least seems to be fairly academic?) Realise we've probably missed the boat for some of the more popular options but would really appreciate it if people could recommend other options that may be worth trying. The Hall seems to be an option - has been mentioned a bit negatively in other posts but many seem to be older- any up to date views?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now