New EYFS how does it differ?

(66 Posts)
simpson Tue 09-Jul-13 19:13:12

Hi

DD is currently in reception and all year she has been assessed on the old EYFS and parents have been told where their DC are according to the old assessments ie working at a point 6/7.

Their school reports have just come out and they have suddenly switched to the new EYFS which seems tougher and they are not awarding any DC an "exceeding" unless they have reached an NC level of a 2C, surely this can not be correct?

Also it now seems that certain things have not been covered (ie money and telling the time) as they were using the old EYFS iyswim so then no child got "exceeding" in numeracy because they have not been taught it hmm

Only one child out of a possible 90 got "exceeding"

Are there other areas that should have been taught that haven't if they have been using the old EYFS?

(Have meeting on Thursday, so want to get my facts straight!)

simpson Wed 10-Jul-13 22:25:48

Spoke to the teacher that I work with on a wed (not at my DC school) and she told me the LEA had a meeting in Feb and told schools that "exceeding" equals mid year 2 level. Which schools are interpreting as a 2C.

However there was another meeting in April which lowered it to end of yr1 which the school I work in (1day a week) now use a 1A for exceeding.

They asked the yr1 teachers to assess the written work.

But she did say that a child who has exceeding in reading should also have exceeding for speaking and listening too otherwise it's a very odd profile.

Have meeting at my DC school tomorrow....

Periwinkle007 Wed 10-Jul-13 07:05:08

no no reports here yet. i would hope for an exceeds on reading but otherwise i think she wil probably get expecteds. I think she ought to get a couple more exceeds but not sure she will.

simpson Tue 09-Jul-13 23:42:52

I wish I had a printer and I would print it out to show ram somewhere not nice to the EYFS Head on Thursday.

simpson Tue 09-Jul-13 23:41:29

Tired - I agree, I have been told DD's NC levels are set for yr2 SATS and they are very high. The cynical side of me wonders if this why why her levels have been lowered. Especially after looking at your link, I think it even more....

She is very strong in literacy so speaking, listening, writing and reading (all the areas she was given exceeding in originally) but to me she is not exceeding in numeracy although can count in 2s,5s and 10s, halve, double etc etc, it just does not float her boat....

noneshallsleep2 Tue 09-Jul-13 23:40:23

tired Thanks for that link to the Gloucs site - it makes the most sense of anything have read on the whole expecting / exceeding topic!

tiredbutnotweary Tue 09-Jul-13 23:15:52

I meant in Simpson's case, not Periwinkle's - sorry blush

simpson Tue 09-Jul-13 22:44:43

Peri - have you had your DD's report yet?

Wafflenose Tue 09-Jul-13 22:44:25

Yes! The £9.99 offer is no longer, sadly. But they still have them quite cheaply. I will get her a couple to start with, and see how she gets on. She reads and does art all day long, and says she wants to make wedding dresses for a living when she is older, aaw! I can picture her doing something like that.

Periwinkle007 Tue 09-Jul-13 22:37:42

ah good - you have found them.

Periwinkle007 Tue 09-Jul-13 22:36:32

they are lovely books - about 13 of them I think, introduce lots of famous works of art through nice stories.

Wafflenose Tue 09-Jul-13 22:36:19

Oh wow, thank you so much! I have had a look at the preview pages on Amazon, and they look great. She will be able to read them by herself, and they have 10 for £9.99 from The Book People. They'll be right up her street! grin

Wafflenose Tue 09-Jul-13 22:33:19

No, I have never heard of them. Thanks - I will look them up!

Periwinkle007 Tue 09-Jul-13 22:31:09

Wafflenose - we might have already had this conversation but have you got the James Mayhew - Katie in the art gallery books? your daughter would love them

Wafflenose Tue 09-Jul-13 22:27:37

I was just thinking that!

Periwinkle007 Tue 09-Jul-13 22:27:08

nah they will change it again then Wafflenose.

Wafflenose Tue 09-Jul-13 22:24:37

DD2's teacher was definitely of the impression that every criterion had to be met. I have now read the documents, and can see this isn't right. Hopefully as things settle down, it will all become a bit more consistent... maybe.

tiredbutnotweary Tue 09-Jul-13 22:21:57

To elaborate on this point a bit further, I don't think the problem lies in the descriptors so much as some LAs / schools deciding that every criterion must be met to meet expected or exceeding. It IS NOT supposed to work like that.

A best fit (as described in the handbook) is supposed to be which of these descriptors best fits this child for the majority of their work / output / discussion. The decision of the best fit is also supposed to include evidence from other sources including parents. Of course, in Periwinkle's case, how could any parent support their child in achieving these goals if all year they've been supplied different and defunct goals? I'd be hopping mad.

I think the reason for the big hike in the EYFS and another reason some LAs are being very conservative is that the new national curriculum is also tougher and any exceedings now should equate to L5s / 6s for a curriculum that isn't even in place yet for demonstrating progress. I would find this more palatable if all schools / LAs were taking the same approach - but they're not.

Wafflenose Tue 09-Jul-13 22:17:17

Oops, I meant I don't care about her level, I obviously do care that she has put a lot of effort into her picture and won a prize for it!

Wafflenose Tue 09-Jul-13 22:16:04

Agreed again, Peri! She just turned 5 six weeks ago! I don't think they go into that kind of discussion at all. She has just won the House Art Competition for her age group though, so she is really happy, and I don't actually care! What I'm really proud of is the fact that she is bang on target socially and emotionally, having started school verging on Selective Mutism, shy, overly sensitive, throwing toddler tantrums, and generally very immature. In this respect, Reception has been brilliant.

Ultimately it probably doesn't matter too much what scores they are given, as long as they're learning, but I can see why people will be upset. Teacher has reassured me DD2 is bright (in a nice, solid, above average way - she's not G&T as far as I can tell) but her scores make her look average. And lots of DC who are doing perfectly well are going to look like they're not!

simpson Tue 09-Jul-13 22:14:59

What does "using key features of narrative" mean? (In writing)

I agree some of them are pretty tough for 5 yr olds ie managing friendships, art & design.

But some of them seem basic to me ie listening & speaking.

tiredbutnotweary Tue 09-Jul-13 22:08:11

I think mrz posted the expected descriptor for maths, to be exceeding you need this too:

Numbers: Children estimate a number of objects and check quantities by counting up to 20. They solve practical problems that involve combining groups of 2, 5 or 10, or sharing into equal groups.

In our school they are struggling to give some children expected in maths due to the doubling, halving and sharing that is in mrz post. But that's because they are approaching the assessment with a tick box mind set - it's supposed to be best fit - the profile handbook clearly says a child doesn't need to meet every requirement of a goal to the same level ....

Periwinkle007 Tue 09-Jul-13 21:58:29

yeah just the sort of art critic skills a reception child will have!

I think they have missed the point of it though, I mean exceeding shouldn't BE completely impossible, it shouldn't be things they can't possibly have been taught or had the opportunity to develop or in the case of the odd few who might have, the opportunity to demonstrate. I mean how many reception classes sit and discuss art like that? do they? really? how would a teacher know if a child COULD do that in many cases.

Wafflenose Tue 09-Jul-13 21:50:36

Thank you for sharing the list which appeared to be 'secret' in our school!

They are expecting a lot now, aren't they? No wonder so many children aren't at the 'expected' level - as far as I can tell in our school, the setup of the class and the teaching don't appear to have changed, but the children are expected to demonstrate so much more!

I think I can see now how my DD who's incredibly imaginative and artistic didn't exceed expectations here... it's all about reflecting on the thought processes, explaining how she created things and how art can be changed, comparing different ideas and pieces of work, and discussing the strengths of others... heck.

tiredbutnotweary Tue 09-Jul-13 21:41:11

Ok, I hope this works:

FAQs on EYFS Profile assessment and moderation in 2013 – 2
www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/assessment/eyfs/a00224219/eyfs-2013_2#faq16

I'm copying and pasting the whole FAQ but it is the final sentence that is key:

Should an LA inform their schools of the number of children expected to attain the expected or exceeding level of learning and development?
It would not be appropriate for any LA to give indications of the levels of attainment which may or may not be attained by any child/cohort at the end of the year. Schools should base their assessments on all the evidence available for each unique child.

Neither should any additional prerequisite (such as a child must be at KS1 L2 to be awarded exceeding) be applied to any TA judgement against an ELG.

This is what a school should do to determine exceeding:

Where a child’s development exceeds that set out as that expected at the end of the EYFS, attainment should be recorded within the EYFS Profile as being at the exceeding level for that ELG.

To judge whether a child’s learning and development is exceeding, practitioners should use the best fit model and be confident that the child has moved beyond the expected level.

Practitioners should:
• consider the Key Stage 1 attainment targets and level descriptors;
• refer to exceeding descriptors (sourced from the Tickell review) which are provided in Annex 2 of this handbook; and
• discuss with Year 1 teachers whether to deem a child exceeding in any ELG.

For a comparison of the expected, exceeding and NC L1 requirements see here: www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/extra/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=55527&p=0

simpson Tue 09-Jul-13 21:25:36

Abby - me neither but this is what the class teacher said.

I too have my cynical head on, but am sure the school will deny it!

I have a placement in a reception class (not DC school) and they have covered money when they learnt about pirates and then pirates dug for treasure. They had work sheets with various coins in a purse and had to add them up.

Don't know about whether they have covered time though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now