New EYFS how does it differ?

(66 Posts)
simpson Tue 09-Jul-13 19:13:12

Hi

DD is currently in reception and all year she has been assessed on the old EYFS and parents have been told where their DC are according to the old assessments ie working at a point 6/7.

Their school reports have just come out and they have suddenly switched to the new EYFS which seems tougher and they are not awarding any DC an "exceeding" unless they have reached an NC level of a 2C, surely this can not be correct?

Also it now seems that certain things have not been covered (ie money and telling the time) as they were using the old EYFS iyswim so then no child got "exceeding" in numeracy because they have not been taught it hmm

Only one child out of a possible 90 got "exceeding"

Are there other areas that should have been taught that haven't if they have been using the old EYFS?

(Have meeting on Thursday, so want to get my facts straight!)

Wafflenose Tue 09-Jul-13 22:24:37

DD2's teacher was definitely of the impression that every criterion had to be met. I have now read the documents, and can see this isn't right. Hopefully as things settle down, it will all become a bit more consistent... maybe.

Periwinkle007 Tue 09-Jul-13 22:27:08

nah they will change it again then Wafflenose.

Wafflenose Tue 09-Jul-13 22:27:37

I was just thinking that!

Periwinkle007 Tue 09-Jul-13 22:31:09

Wafflenose - we might have already had this conversation but have you got the James Mayhew - Katie in the art gallery books? your daughter would love them

Wafflenose Tue 09-Jul-13 22:33:19

No, I have never heard of them. Thanks - I will look them up!

Wafflenose Tue 09-Jul-13 22:36:19

Oh wow, thank you so much! I have had a look at the preview pages on Amazon, and they look great. She will be able to read them by herself, and they have 10 for £9.99 from The Book People. They'll be right up her street! grin

Periwinkle007 Tue 09-Jul-13 22:36:32

they are lovely books - about 13 of them I think, introduce lots of famous works of art through nice stories.

Periwinkle007 Tue 09-Jul-13 22:37:42

ah good - you have found them.

Wafflenose Tue 09-Jul-13 22:44:25

Yes! The £9.99 offer is no longer, sadly. But they still have them quite cheaply. I will get her a couple to start with, and see how she gets on. She reads and does art all day long, and says she wants to make wedding dresses for a living when she is older, aaw! I can picture her doing something like that.

simpson Tue 09-Jul-13 22:44:43

Peri - have you had your DD's report yet?

tiredbutnotweary Tue 09-Jul-13 23:15:52

I meant in Simpson's case, not Periwinkle's - sorry blush

noneshallsleep2 Tue 09-Jul-13 23:40:23

tired Thanks for that link to the Gloucs site - it makes the most sense of anything have read on the whole expecting / exceeding topic!

simpson Tue 09-Jul-13 23:41:29

Tired - I agree, I have been told DD's NC levels are set for yr2 SATS and they are very high. The cynical side of me wonders if this why why her levels have been lowered. Especially after looking at your link, I think it even more....

She is very strong in literacy so speaking, listening, writing and reading (all the areas she was given exceeding in originally) but to me she is not exceeding in numeracy although can count in 2s,5s and 10s, halve, double etc etc, it just does not float her boat....

simpson Tue 09-Jul-13 23:42:52

I wish I had a printer and I would print it out to show ram somewhere not nice to the EYFS Head on Thursday.

Periwinkle007 Wed 10-Jul-13 07:05:08

no no reports here yet. i would hope for an exceeds on reading but otherwise i think she wil probably get expecteds. I think she ought to get a couple more exceeds but not sure she will.

simpson Wed 10-Jul-13 22:25:48

Spoke to the teacher that I work with on a wed (not at my DC school) and she told me the LEA had a meeting in Feb and told schools that "exceeding" equals mid year 2 level. Which schools are interpreting as a 2C.

However there was another meeting in April which lowered it to end of yr1 which the school I work in (1day a week) now use a 1A for exceeding.

They asked the yr1 teachers to assess the written work.

But she did say that a child who has exceeding in reading should also have exceeding for speaking and listening too otherwise it's a very odd profile.

Have meeting at my DC school tomorrow....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now