Ds has got sun burnt at school

(160 Posts)
RoooneyMara Fri 05-Jul-13 15:56:45

Ds is 10 and was on a kind of sports/open day today at another school.

No one sent a letter about it or anything.

He has come home with sunburn across his face.

Normally I tell him to stay in the shade when it is hot - clearly they weren't able to do this, being outside much of the day.

Hats are pointless when they are doing activities outside - they just fall off.

Suncream doesn't last very long...what can you do?

I feel really upset about it.

maja00 Fri 05-Jul-13 17:51:48

This is the weirdest thing I have ever heard - a state school giving children fast food takeaways as sports day prizes? Are you in the UK?

curlew Fri 05-Jul-13 17:53:09

Are you absolutely sure this isn't him fantasising his perfect day? Because it would certainly be my ds's! Sport and fast food... the only thing that would make it better was back to school to watch Myth Busters on a loop til home time!

ppeatfruit Fri 05-Jul-13 17:56:08

Aloe vera gel is the most effective treatment for sunburn (any sores actually) the school does sound a bithmm.

RoooneyMara Fri 05-Jul-13 17:57:06

Oh God ds loves mythbusters. I think it's a showcase for wrongful facial hair.

Yes definitely in the UK.

School probably didn't think it wise to send a letter, if they had any idea what would happen there.

RoooneyMara Fri 05-Jul-13 17:57:55

thankyou PP

I have some aloe vera I think, somewhere..

RoooneyMara Fri 05-Jul-13 18:01:06

so do I email them or what?

I've not had a reply to the last few emails. I have no idea who to talk to about this.

It really is farcical. If they had sent out a letter saying, your child is invited to a sports event (Ok, javelin, VORTEX throwing hmm(rugby ball shaped thing with feathers in one end) and falling-off-a-bar-onto-a mat type jousting) where they will be plied with fast food from several of the fastest food suppliers in town, before being sent back to school for another unhealthy lunch (another thread) complete with bandaged limbs and sunburn, I don't think many of us would have signed it.

Don't know about OP but 2 days ago we had all day foggy gloom. Found it hard to predict this sudden sun

OK, I'll change the wording - every day that enough sun might come out enough to burn. Which theoretically covers every school day between March and the end of September for my very fair skinned DS. Which is why he always has a hat and suncream (plus a raincoat - we live in Wales) in his bag.

colditz Fri 05-Jul-13 18:03:03

He's ten, unless he has SN he can keep some sunscreen in his pocket and reapply when he goes outside.

rootypig Fri 05-Jul-13 18:08:57

Good grief, that is bonkers. I'd be p-d off about the sunburn. Whether parents know about an event or not, I would expect the school to supervise / enforce basic sun protection - they are in loco parentis. As for the lack of knowledge or permission and the fast food, words fail me. If the school isn't responding, can you write to the local authority? The buck surely has to stop somewhere.

RoooneyMara Fri 05-Jul-13 18:10:58

I have just emailed his teacher.

I did lose the plot slightly. I was rather blunt.

See if she replies to this one eh.

cansu Fri 05-Jul-13 19:48:04

Tbh I think you are over reacting. The problem is that if you over react every time the school falls in any way short you are lessening the chances that the school will do these extra curricular vists and activities that your children love. Yes they should have warned you so your ds could be lathered in sun cream. For me a note or a quick word with the teacher or the office to say could they et ou know in advance because your ds got sun burnt today would have been enough. Emailing teachers and getting het up about it is just ridiculous! if your ds had gone out to play on a sat morning and got sun burnt you wouldn't think you had failed him you just would make a mental note about next time. We are so quick to blame these days it is getting ridiculous. I have lost count of the number of trips I have been on where parents have been asked to provide a coat in case it rains etc etc and the vast majority of children have little more than a cardigan, ditto for sun cream or a hat.

rootypig Fri 05-Jul-13 20:06:33

If your ds had gone out to play on a sat morning and got sunburnt you wouldn't think you failed him

Yes, I would. Skin cancer rates in the UK are higher than in many hotter countries and a lack of sun awareness and culture of sun safety is mostly to blame. The Skin Cancer Foundation says that one blistering sunburn in childhood is enough to double the risk of melanoma.

I grew up in a very hot country and not once in my childhood was sunburned - our teachers wouldn't have dreamed of letting us out in the heat of the day. I'm shocked by people saying that a ten year old should be more responsible for this than his teachers. How do you feel about other health risks while your kids are at school? The OP has said the kids were in the sun most of the day - that is sheer ignorance from the staff. And a lot of responses here sound like they're underestimating risks too.

Not to mention not knowing where the hell your kids are. OP, stick to your guns.

FannyMcNally Fri 05-Jul-13 20:13:40

They weren't out all day, they came back in time for lunch.

Can I just butt in slightly - this weather was rather well forecast! (Unlike the random fast food/sports day that your ds experienced)

rootypig Fri 05-Jul-13 20:19:19

If that was directed at me, OP said "much" of the day, I said "most".

curlew Fri 05-Jul-13 20:24:18

I find it bizarre that they took the children out to this event without getting "trip" forms signed.

ChimeForChange Fri 05-Jul-13 20:26:50

I can kind of agree with Cansu....I think you're over reacting a little.

Also, so baffled about the food!!
Did he win vouchers or something?

I think it's extremely unlikely that in less than 2 hours your son won food from 3 fast food outlets at his sports day event? And the school let him eat this? Where were they cooking/keeping the food?!?! I'm so confused!

lljkk Fri 05-Jul-13 20:33:54

We sign forms once a year to cover all trips, it makes sense to me. Don't have to sign. That said, we'd always be notified in advance, no unannounced trips.

MaybeBentley Fri 05-Jul-13 20:38:50

Who paid for all this food? Surely you don't send your child to school with this amount (any) money each day. The amount consumed X the class would have cost a fortune.

EduCated Fri 05-Jul-13 20:55:48

Sounds like some sort of 'fun day' type event. I've organised them in the past, places like Dominos and Nandos often come and give away free samples (slice of pizza, a couple of chicken wings) as a type of advertising.

RoooneyMara Sat 06-Jul-13 08:41:46

Hello,

sorry, had to go to do bedtime....

well yes, I am overreacting a bit I think. But this is in the light of a lot of rubbish communication from the school recently. I'm cross. I need to know that someone cares about my child when I'm not there. And I don't think they do.

To add insult to injury, last night he informed me that aside from the fast food and injuries, he was in fact molested by a giant chicken, who chased him and hugged him twice, against his wishes.

Also present was a giant subway.

So yes advertising. I love it when they take my children on an advertising field trip.

I know he enjoyed it. I just think I'd have liked to KNOW iyswim.

Ps Oybbk - it probably was, I had heard it might be sunny (though I don't normally watch TV) but normally he has somewhere shady to play and playtime only lasts a little while. He's not been burned at school before.

Anyway thankyou for all the comments, I think I needed to let off some steam, it wasn't much of an educational trip and I do think therefore we could have been consulted, or warned. But there you go. The school is in general not very good at letting us know things, and I probably need to have a word with them about that.

ppeatfruit Sat 06-Jul-13 11:49:59

RooneyMara I would've have been annoyed too there's all this talk about obesity in school children and the school is pushing junk food at them shock.

SVN Sat 06-Jul-13 12:20:38

I'd be a little bit put out at the overload of fast food, but I think you're as remiss as the school with regard to sunburn. You try supervising 30 children and ensuring they all wear protection, a hat, sit in shade, drink fluids. You only had one child to ensure was wearing suncream on what was forecast to be a hot day. You didn't. I think some perspective is needed.

Although the outing doesn't sound particularly educational, it's parents like you who cause schools to opt out of organising trips etc.

RoooneyMara Sat 06-Jul-13 12:20:44

Well quite PP...I'm not sure what it's meant to achieve. They are regular inspectors of lunchboxes... and yet I fail to see any evidence of healthy food being promoted or fed to them.

No reply to email. What a surprise.

RoooneyMara Sat 06-Jul-13 12:23:45

SVN if you had read my posts you would have noticed that I don't normally send ds with a hat (which when I do, he refuses to wear - they don't insist) or sun cream which isn't much use when applied 4 hours before he goes out to play.

And that he normally plays in the shade at school, for short breaks.

I don't normally need to protect him.

If he is at a different school, being kept outside half the day in the heat then frankly it's not the same set up and I'd have appreciated some advance notice.

They are in loco parentis and as such, well, when they are in my care I limit their sun exposure. The school doesn't seem to think this matters. And they fed them loads of crap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now