Not another SATS thread...

(12 Posts)
formerdiva Thu 04-Jul-13 22:09:07

I'm just looking for views on DDs Yr 2 SAT results - she got 2c for writing and maths. Having looked at what she should be capable of for a 2B then I can see she clearly falls short, so no complaints of unfair scoring. My question is more about how concerned we should be?

She has made great progress since Y1 when she was quite far behind (not helped with her being an August baby), but how much of a worry is it that she's still behind target?

Y2 is still v.young. I would wait and see what progress she makes in the next couple of years. DD was getting similar levels at the end of Y2 and has made massive progress in two years; she is now slightly above average at the end of Y4.

Suggestions for what to do in the meantime: help her learn the multiplication facts from the times tables, starting with 10x then 2x then 5x.

formerdiva Thu 04-Jul-13 22:19:49

Thanks ThreeBeeOneGee - that's very reassuring to hear about your DD's progress. And focusing on multiplication is a good area to prioritise.

PastSellByDate Fri 05-Jul-13 14:16:37

Hi formerdiva:

earwig1 posted this on another SATs question feed - there's a lovely table that explains what the NC Levels mean:

www.devon.gov.uk/fostering-national-curriculum-levels.pdf

So basically a NC 2 is notionally average - 2c or not.

Yes she's the lower end of 'expected level' and I think I would also be a little concerned (but only a very little) to ensure that things continue to progress along - but as many here will say sometimes learning isn't a nice steady progression and there can be sudden leaps.

Might be an idea to talk to the teacher about any suggestions for things you could work on over the summer.

HTH

simpson Fri 05-Jul-13 16:06:58

A level 2 is not the average level but the expected level for end of yr2.

A fantastic book I have bought my DC is The Usborne Write Your Own Story Book. (My DC are 5 and 7).

Shut the box is a fab board game for number bonds and mental maths.

I would do maybe 15 mins a day in the summer but make it fun ie doing a diary, scrap book, a summer project etc...

Simpson my chaps love shut the box too

simpson Fri 05-Jul-13 16:12:26

It's a great little game but I had to be crafty and buy it for DS otherwise DD (5) would show zero interest (but really it was for her) but of course because it belongs to her older brother she just has to play it!!

Sneaky! Lol

mrz Fri 05-Jul-13 18:21:52

"The majority of children are expected to leave Key Stage 1 (age 7), working at least at level 2."

www.education.gov.uk/schools/performance/primary_12/Progress_Measures_Guide_KS1-KS2_2012.pdf

Note not 2A, 2B or 2C just level 2!

Technically A,B & C don't exist in the National Curriculum just whole levels

pollywollydoodle Fri 05-Jul-13 20:33:44

thanks for putting up these links thanks

formerdiva Sat 06-Jul-13 07:29:23

There's some great advice on here - thank you so much smile

toomuchicecream Sat 06-Jul-13 12:55:27

As she's summer born I really wouldn't worry at this stage. Playing Maths games over the summer is an excellent idea - Orchard Toys do some lovely ones - as it will keep her number skills up and mean she hits the ground running in September. Making sure she keeps reading is important too. So do the library summer reading scheme maybe. Just as important as keeping her reading is talking to her about what she's read - so you read to her, or you both read the same book and discuss it, or you get an audio book for the car so you can talk about what you're all listening to. Add in a bit of writing ie sending postcards, diary, holiday scrap book etc as suggested above and you'll minimise what she forgets over the summer. But make sure she gets a proper rest too - you both need a break so you're ready for the long autumn term!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now