Chair bags - I want to cry!

(48 Posts)

DD has to have one. But all the ones the school are trying to sell are gross. I have been told they are easy to make, but they really don't look it. The cotton is pretty tough and it would take me MONTHS to sew (can't even sew on a button and don't own an iron type), and next year is approaching too fast.

DD wants a pretty one, with her name on and a few felt flowers etc. so I was hoping to buy a very plain one and then add some things (probably stick on with superglue).

Any ideas?

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Wed 03-Jul-13 09:46:47

Wonder web?

What's a chair bag ? <thick emoticon>

CrowsLanding Wed 03-Jul-13 09:48:02

What is a chair bag? confused

FluffyDavis Wed 03-Jul-13 09:51:41

Is it something like this?
concentrate

Though I don't want one that pretentious!

According to the woman who sold them at the school wonderweb wouldn't be strong enough. It needs to hold a bottle of water, books, pictures and the book bag.

hmm seriously? They have to have one?? Good grief

Yes. Overcrowded London school with no space.

School sell them in paisley for £6.50. I just want plain. They said they don't sell plain because they get grubby.

Surely paisley gets grubby too, you just can't see it.

kilmuir Wed 03-Jul-13 09:59:34

never heard of them but looks like a pillowkase in that photo

Dylon and fabric paints?

CusheyButterfield Wed 03-Jul-13 10:00:33

etsy?

We had these as kids. I'm fairly sure my mam made them from tea towels and wonder web!

LackaDAISYcal Wed 03-Jul-13 10:00:38

there are some homemeade ones on ebay, but from Australia or the US. Are you in the UK?

LackaDAISYcal Wed 03-Jul-13 10:02:42

Do you know anyone in RL who could make one?

Or any crafty MNers? Felted knitting/crochet would make a nice strong one.

CusheyButterfield Wed 03-Jul-13 10:06:02

Or these ones are much more reasonable on EBay. You could stick on some flowers to personalise it.

Moomoomie Wed 03-Jul-13 10:06:29

Could you buy a school one and then customise it? You could sew a patch of different fabric on the front which can be decorated.

PastSellByDate Wed 03-Jul-13 10:07:24

Would a sturdy clothe book bag work? Maybe one with long handles?

You can adjust handles (maybe cut them and just tack down ends) & tie into place.

If it has deep outside pockets - perfect for water bottle & pencil case.

H&M do iron one patches - that wouldn't involve sewing & would make it distinct.

HTH

UK yes.

Never heard of these before but they fab.

Look fab, they look fab, sigh.

MrsDeVere Wed 03-Jul-13 10:12:09

That there is a pillowcase!

Don't use superglue.
You can get fabric glue or buy iron on patches from ebay.

Pillow cases are really easy to make. Find a pattern on the internet. You can do it. Its only straight lines.

Saying all that ^^^^

I am flipping glad we don't have these at DC's school grin

Great. Thank you. Lots of ideas. I don't feel so miserable now.

Perhaps a school one with a new front, or ask someone to make one. Apparently it is fast if you have a sewing machine and know how to use it.

I can sew in straight lines sure, but it would be tough to get the needle through the stiff fabric and take forever wouldn't it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now