calling all teachers what gifts do you love?

(217 Posts)
mam29 Sat 29-Jun-13 08:41:03

I wnat to do something for dd1s teachers and support staff but not sure what?

Dds old school was very showy with huge collections like 300quid of shopping vouchers, flowers, chocs and wine.

Was horrible.

Last few few years made some pressies.

or brought something small inexpensive xmas was nice notebook and plant.

I dont want to go ott. So any tips /ideas?

Also would be odd to give token gift to head? dont want her to think im bribing her.

Just new school really do extra mile where as old school dident so most unlike me would rather get it sorted early thinking some sort craft project might look on pinterest.

clarasebal Wed 18-Sep-13 19:11:02

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

snigger Wed 17-Jul-13 13:46:11

I usually gift something as personal as possible to a max of £10 to each individual teacher, and twice that to the school secretary because she's a living goddess.

This year it was gardening gloves (TK Maxx, steal, ex-Laura Ashley, ponce alert) hand cream and organic soap to one, tartan tie (this teacher has a wee 'thing' going on with theme ties, according to DD2) and shortie to another, and a large lidded glass jar full of individually wrapped cakes, biscuits, and penny-tray lollies to the head.

If you think hard and shop in advance you can make up a really personal gift based on that year's feedback for not too much.

I always hope they see that DD, and by extension, I have listened and cared about them as much as they have.

GW297 Wed 17-Jul-13 12:23:44

Nigella - that's one of my favourite ideas. Another friend does that with popcorn and minstrels 'night out on us!'

littlemrssleepy Wed 17-Jul-13 12:11:56

We got these Bargain at £3.
And a homemade card.

alispu Wed 17-Jul-13 12:09:36

Hi - as a teacher a lovely card with a geniune message of thanks is really appreciated and something to be treasured or recycled appropriately (beautiful cards always go down well)

MangoJuiceAddict Wed 17-Jul-13 10:48:14

Every year I usually go for the fail safe option of flowers, a homemade 'thank you' card made by DD and a box of chocolates, maybe an M&S voucher if the teacher has been particularly helpful that year. Not particularly exciting or original but everybody likes flowers and chocolates. And my DD makes fantastic cards.

NigellaEllaElla Wed 17-Jul-13 10:34:16

I have bought DS1's teacher a gift voucher for 2 seats in the deluxe screen of the local cinema with popcorn and drinks. Thought it would be a nice treat during the holidays.

MABS Wed 17-Jul-13 10:28:09

always champagne, for his 3 teachers, head and matron. He broke up in late June and wrote personal notes to all of them too, albeit reluctantly!

Ooh Jenny that does sound good. An old boss of mine used to send his PA out to the ice cream van on super hot days and it was always vastly appreciated!

JennyWren Wed 17-Jul-13 03:02:42

I am planning to take ice creams in for the staff room at lunchtime. The last week of term has crept up on me and it has occurred to me that they'll probably be the best thing I can arrange in a hurry!

Riv Tue 16-Jul-13 22:58:05

I don't expect anything. I''m doing my job and I do get paid for it, but it's lovely to get a card or even better a note saying thanks - preferably home made by the pupil.
One year I got a real lemon a tiny can of slimline tonic and a minature bottle of gin (the one drink type). Lovely. (grin)
Anything expensive (over a fiver) makes me feel uncomfortable. Anything chosen or, even better, made by your DC is particularly special

lottieandmia Tue 16-Jul-13 22:32:49

Thanks for the advice on this thread - I bought a gift voucher which was well received.

BlackeyedSusan Tue 16-Jul-13 22:11:53

my favourite prresents are a plastic box covered with glitter and plastic jewels, chosen by the child in question

a minature rose bush with hand written message by a reception child.

and a mug with a forever friends teddy on.

acsec Tue 16-Jul-13 21:26:10

I love a heartfelt thank you note or card smile

Handmade gifts are lovely, please no mugs or ornaments though!

auntiezzzzz Tue 16-Jul-13 14:14:54

That's lovely insanity. Yes I'll do that. Thanks.

insanityscratching Tue 16-Jul-13 14:12:43

When ds left his ASD unit after five years I sent a cheque to the head of the unit asking that they use the money as they saw fit He phoned to say that they would be purchasing a piece of equipment for the unit so that they would remember ds each time it was used.

auntiezzzzz Tue 16-Jul-13 13:59:45

DD is leaving her primary this week after 8 years inc nursery. I will do the usual bottle of wine for her class teacher, but would like to do something for the school.

I asked her what she'd like to contribute and she said a climbing frame! Might just fall outside my budget of £25.

Any ideas? I was thinking of something to add to the playground toys collection or maybe a shrub for their new play area. Has anyone done this? would it be better to just write a cheque to the PTA or is that a bit impersonal?

LurcioLovesFrankie Tue 16-Jul-13 13:18:40

The bottle of whisky with the security tag on story has reminded me of one of my mum's lovely anecdotes. She was a secondary teacher and had a rare knack of getting on with the particularly difficult teenagers (and she taught in a succession of sink schools, so difficult usually meant a combination of behavioural difficulties and severe social deprivation). One day she came home with a bag of cream cakes, and explained that it was the non-exam stream 5th form's last day in school. Three of the real tearaways had come in (first time in about a year, they were habitual truants) specially to say goodbye to her, and handed over the bag with the words "look, miss, they're in the baker's bag, we didn't nick 'em."

When she told this story in later years, she was able to update on their progress - two had ended up in borstal (as it was then called) and the other in Strangeways!

insanityscratching Tue 16-Jul-13 12:43:44

Ds now 23 through his job (Local Government) emailed his old y6 teacher who is now a HT elsewhere. He was amazed when he not only remembered him but also what he had written in a card to him when ds moved into secondary and referred to it. "The work was good, the games were great, the ties and the jokes were awful" HT assured him that his dress sense had improved more than his jokes grin Proof I suppose that a card with a heartfelt message is always appreciated.

MickeyMixer Tue 16-Jul-13 12:12:34

On my desk - not ob! Obviously!

MickeyMixer Tue 16-Jul-13 12:11:52

I have homemade Fimo coasters which say 'from Zoe with love' which I have kept and used ob my desk since I was given them in 1997! Home made and personal is best IMHO.
Also I like mugs - but I prefer them to be china and NOT to say 'best teacher' etc. on them!

carrie74 Tue 16-Jul-13 11:36:46

Oh, and I'll also write my (honest, and heartfelt) thanks for both teachers who've been fantastic this year, and hopefully persuade the children to do one as well.

carrie74 Tue 16-Jul-13 11:35:54

Thank you for these ideas for my last minute panic. I've organised class collections in the past, but this year time and life got in the way.

Have ordered some good pen sets for the 2 teachers, plus some stamps for the 2TAs for my children's teachers, and will try and get an Ocado order in before the end of the week with a big yin of biscuits for the staff room (that can be kept until Sept if required).

I've also put a reminder in my diary to sort this out at the beginning of July next year!!!

secretarybird1 Tue 16-Jul-13 10:18:33

Best ever was a card (made by 'accident prone' child) which said "Thank you for all the plasters" - I'll never forget it. Spent 24 wonderful years as school secretary.

Willow Tree Angels do a lovely Angel of Learning. I have bought that for Wilf's teacher before as well as Angel Signing Love and Angel of Friendship. She has also had a Suffolk Rose which went to Kent! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now