calling all teachers what gifts do you love?

(217 Posts)
mam29 Sat 29-Jun-13 08:41:03

I wnat to do something for dd1s teachers and support staff but not sure what?

Dds old school was very showy with huge collections like 300quid of shopping vouchers, flowers, chocs and wine.

Was horrible.

Last few few years made some pressies.

or brought something small inexpensive xmas was nice notebook and plant.

I dont want to go ott. So any tips /ideas?

Also would be odd to give token gift to head? dont want her to think im bribing her.

Just new school really do extra mile where as old school dident so most unlike me would rather get it sorted early thinking some sort craft project might look on pinterest.

Book token or books would be lovely thank you :-). I know of several families who do that.

We had homemade scones with clotted cream and homemade jam in our staffroom today from one family.

HorryIsUpduffed

Could decorate with your own design or message? thecleverbaggers.co.uk/bags/reusable-cotton-shopping-bags
I've used many of these bags in the past and they last for years. Go for one of the gusseted ones and get wild with the fabric paints, or iron-on printer transfer paper.

Great tip!

lilackaty Fri 05-Jul-13 21:52:08

As others have said it is the cards that are the best, when the parent has written a meaningful message; those are my favourite presents. I also love anything that shows the gift giver has put some thought into it. For example, today I got a beautiful mauve scarf. I love purple & I wear scarves a lot. Once I got a set of nail varnishes because the child I taught had told her mum that I always wear nail varinish. I often get mugs because I drink loads of tea.

Generally - chocolates, smellies, wine & candles are good though I think.

Dancingqueen17 Fri 05-Jul-13 23:14:29

Today I received John Lewis vouchers, a scarf, wine and posh hotel chocolate set all very much appreciated but none quite as much as the accompanying cards with personal messages.

zingally Sat 06-Jul-13 16:48:32

Shop bought 'thank you teacher' gifts are the worst I'm afraid. They don't feel personal and are usually tat. To be honest I would ask your kids. If they/you don't feel strongly about buying a gift then don't bother.

^ Absolutely this. Keyrings, teddies, photo-frames, anything of the "best teacher ever!" variety generally get binned or charity-shopped within the week. Mugs are also quietly donated to the staffroom mug collection.

The things I've treasured were the letters/cards with messages of thanks inside. I've kept them from my very first year in teaching.
Bunches of flowers, or a plant are very nice as well.

2 of the sweetest presents I ever got were a Wispa chocolate bar from a kid, who'd obviously listened when I'd told them my favourite chocolate months previously! And the grandpa who did volunteer reading in my class, who slipped a £20 note in my hand and told me to "buy myself something nice". He wrote me the sweetest card as well.

exoticfruits Sat 06-Jul-13 16:55:00

Yes- avoid anything with teacher written on it and cards produced for teachers.

sayithowitis Sat 06-Jul-13 20:50:56

I am not a teacher, but am a TA. I always consider myself extremely fortunate if I am given a gift at the end of the year. I do not drink and have so many bottles of wine here that I could probably give Threshers a run for their money. And that's after giving many, many of them away! I quite like some of the smaller candles but I agree about mugs! Our staffroom cupboard is already full to overflowing with them! My favourite gifts are the ones clearly chosen by the children - one gave me a bag of about 50 penny sweets once and proceeded to tell me they were all his favourites. We shared them! My ultimate favourite is always the card. Homemade is lovely, especially when the child or parent has written a thoughtful message. I have kept every card I have been given and love to re-read them now and again. Oh, and I was once given a wonderful set of colouring pencils, really good quality, which I still use even now.

Getting a present isn't the reason I do my job and a heartfelt thank you, verbal or in a card or note, really is enough.

Ok, judge away

<<braces self>>

(bags and wine carrier all made by me, bags contain fudge and are in addition to class present, wine/carrier is sole present as there is no class present)

I like, stealthsquiggle!

We're giving the teachers a homemade card and a jar of fruit from our garden (it's a good year for fruit). DCs will decorate each jar with glass pens.
Last year I gave them a decorated jar of nice coffee each.

Theselittlelightsofmine Mon 08-Jul-13 09:50:22

What do you buy a head teacher?

I'm stuck for ideas?

I have in the past done the same for the head as for the class teacher, but not this year because I am fed up with her inability to think things through DD didn't ask. We do Christmas cakes for more teachers - generally including the head, and DS picks his favourite subject teachers.

Theselittlelightsofmine Mon 08-Jul-13 10:08:33

Might just bake something, cookies or biscuits or something?

What kind of biscuits or cookies?

Theselittlelightsofmine Mon 08-Jul-13 10:08:52

Or I can do mini scones?

Kendodd Mon 08-Jul-13 10:30:53

I tend to just give one card for all the staff in the school, including office and support staff with the biggest box of chocs I can find for them all to share about two weeks before the end of term.

My children all had a really wonderful reception teacher, brilliant beyond words, I nominated her for this www.teachingawards.com/home She deserved it. I also emailed the LEA to tell them how good she was. If your child's teacher was really good maybe you could consider that?

As an aside, one thing my children's school did that just appalled me, a teacher was leaving so they set up a collection for him if anyone wanted to donate (fine) but them we were bombarded with emails, texts, letters telling us and updating us about the collection. They even listed his collection on parent pay (cue another letter/text/email telling us about it). I didn't donate and wish I'd complained.

Theas18 Mon 08-Jul-13 10:39:08

DH teaches.

Home made pressies/cards are fantastic. We eat the home made stuff honest! After all he's taught these kids for a year. He knows who washes their hands and who doesn't ( and those who don't are unlikely to bring gifts TBH!) . A little message written by the child is treasured.

Otherwise wine is great. Chocs less so but family appreciate them...

Dh can spot an unthinking poundland mug a mile off. Better nothing than this really .

Flowers not good ( a male teacher doesn't get flowers fortunately) as many teachers go away soon after the end of term.

Best card ever- child with english as 2nd language- almost no english at the start of the year. Drew a fab card . Wrote in it " Dear Mr X So sorry you are living" . We knew what he meant!

(spelling list for next term LEAVING!)

Theas18 Mon 08-Jul-13 10:39:50

stealthsquiggle they are lovely!

Thea So sorry you are living I love it!

FriskyHenderson Mon 08-Jul-13 10:52:05

Theas DS once wrote in his TA's card "good luck being a proper teacher next year" - TA was leaving to do a PGCE <whoops>

sheridand Mon 08-Jul-13 18:58:35

Best present ever: letter from a student saying how i'd improved her learning, handwritten, and also photocopied and sent to the Head. It had lovehearts on it, lots of lovely reasons, and some haribo in the envelope. I still have it, 12 years down the line, as it's the most thoughtful gift i've ever received. Any teacher loves something personal.

hhdavies Fri 12-Jul-13 00:15:59

I've taken a gamble and bought nice leaf tea that came with its own (nice!) strainer. I figured most teachers must drink tea, or if not they can re-gift it?

Wishing I'd gone with book tokens now though. Really wouldn't mind if they used them for themselves or for the class. If the tea is a really bad idea, I'm sure I can use it for rellies at Christmas and go for boooks/toys/stickers instead! Opinions please!

Jaynebxl Fri 12-Jul-13 06:50:48

I think tea is a lovely idea. Just have a slight doubt about leaf tea cos personally I find it too much faff, but the nice strainer probably makes up for that. Is it in a nice tin?

blue2 Fri 12-Jul-13 07:15:15

I used to make jams and chutneys for DS's teachers. They would always say how much they loved it, and would approach me the following term with a clean jam jar and a slightly pleading look in their eyes....

"Same again at the end of this term??" I'd say!!

madeit Fri 12-Jul-13 07:35:50

love getting a bottle of wine, photo frames, book voucher

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now