ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

calling all teachers what gifts do you love?

(218 Posts)
mam29 Sat 29-Jun-13 08:41:03

I wnat to do something for dd1s teachers and support staff but not sure what?

Dds old school was very showy with huge collections like 300quid of shopping vouchers, flowers, chocs and wine.

Was horrible.

Last few few years made some pressies.

or brought something small inexpensive xmas was nice notebook and plant.

I dont want to go ott. So any tips /ideas?

Also would be odd to give token gift to head? dont want her to think im bribing her.

Just new school really do extra mile where as old school dident so most unlike me would rather get it sorted early thinking some sort craft project might look on pinterest.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie

Is a plant a nice idea? Do teachers like those? What about some stamps....the kind with "Well done" or even personalised ones like "Mrs Jones says good work!" ??

Not everyone is a plant person, but a personalised stamp is a superb idea! smile

exoticfruits Sat 29-Jun-13 11:14:21

If you get a plant one that could go out on a patio would be safer.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 29-Jun-13 11:23:43

Thanks ReadytoOrderSir I thought it might be cute and usable! smile

I love giving jewellery but that rarely meets with approval on here (I do M&S stuff with gift receipts with a note sayj g please exchange for wine or chocs if not to your taste). Lovely stationery is nice for women I think (Paperchase sale on at the mo). I need a very special present for a very special teacher at the moment and am completely stumped.

mam29 Sat 29-Jun-13 12:56:26

Thanks everyone some fab tips there

god no more mugs!
A teacher who does not drink?

dd actually on teacher no 3 year 2

partly because we moved and last one left at xmas.

so teacher no 3 longest and shes liked her.

but she has has 2other teachers

just for re and pe so maybe token something for them.

but has had 3tas help out in class.

school rceptionist definatly deserves a pressie and no idea what to get head as dont know here very well.

lollypop man was chufed with his 31 box chocs at xmas.

we never went all out at last school i was only one who did homemade pressies for year teacher whilst other parents did £300 vouchers she was nice woman but she dident go extra mile or make huge diffrence but dd massivly improved and happy in new school so wanted to say thanks.

so far thinking tote bag painted.
plant
homemade stuff .

like fact new schools less showy.

her current teacher always wearing scarfs did notice that.

shes fairly newly qualified always fisrt there in class at 8am and last to leave at 4.30-5. shes really enthusiastic.

Periwinkle007 Sat 29-Jun-13 15:07:38

my daughters have drawn pictures of their teachers on little canvases. the preschool have put my youngest daughter's ones up on the wall as there is one for each member of staff.

If the teacher is in school at 8am - 5pm, she would be one of the last in and the first to leave in my school! I'm normally 7.45 - 5.45 but there are others in from about 7.15. Though I will admit to spending time on Mumsnet before I leave to walk home sometimes

Jaynebxl Sat 29-Jun-13 15:26:27

Unless you've had a lot of contact with the head I wouldn't buy a present for them. Or the PE and RE teachers. Or the receptionist unless again you've had a lot of contact and she has had to sort you out a lot!

stargirl1701 Sat 29-Jun-13 15:27:19

Wine grin
Something home made (a framed drawing is nice)
Nice pens, pencils, notebooks, etc
Percy Pigs - that's just me grin
A plant grown by the child
A gift to use with next class - game, puzzle, etc.
Post its - cute, funky ones

But, it's not needed. I don't teach for gifts - I teach because I love teaching.

Moleyjay Sat 29-Jun-13 15:28:23

I love receiving really nice quality pens - fine liners- for marking. I spend a lot of time using pens and a nice pie makes me happy!!

stargirl1701 Sat 29-Jun-13 15:29:11

Best gift ever was a letter written by the parent to the HT outlining what a difference I had made in their child's life. I framed it.

Total ego boost and boast grin

I think the decorated bag ideas is great but I'd echo those saying a letter of thanks with some details of what the teacher has done that was so great! this really is the best of all especially if sent to headteacher!

spanieleyes Sat 29-Jun-13 20:10:23

Stationary!
Most teachers I know are obsessed with stationary, we love pens ( I have around 10 different green ones to pick and choose from!) highlighters, post its, almost anything ( I second the vote for huge erasers!!) Stickers are another good idea, I must spend a fortune on my own so it would be nice if someone else did!
Oh and pencil pots
and pencil sharpeners, I would kill for an electric one!

( Rushes off to search Amazon for giant erasersgrin

spanieleyes Sat 29-Jun-13 20:20:46

and a spell checker would be good too blush

mam29 Sat 29-Jun-13 20:56:42

Thanks the receptionist /school admin is one woman super woman otherwise known as school mummy. shes showed daughter around as head ident have the time, made us feel welcome rang me any issues, deals with all the ill kids just made moving so much easier I never forget anything she keeps me posted and phones
She is the best alwways happy and freindly no matter what time see her.

The lollipop man crosses us daily all weathers with a smile and a chat.

had very little to do with pe and re teacher.

as for teacher no 3 since jan dd1 likes her.
compared to last school she seems hardworking.
guess will ahve to see when school report how shes done but she informs me daughters improved and talks highly of her.

The 3 tas

one has given dd additional help as she moved a sshe was behind spo she needs something.

The other 2 gave daughter prsents at christmas and easter and 1 helped run after school libary club for free which daughter enjoed.,
really si hard as small village school feel like little familiy.

Not had much top do with head other tahn when we joined and few hio in playground.

but she inspres me with conidence and daughter loves her.

I relived its not showy and huge competition.

I was touched how much xmas presenets were appreciated and like i said was quite anti teachers gifts in old school.

seen a few things on pinterst going to have a go that wont cost the earth.
a
Always handy to hear from teachers.

just pout interest whats been

funniest
oddest
weird gift ever got?

Frikadellen Sat 29-Jun-13 20:57:31

I go to Costa Coffee and buy them each a £5 gift voucher. I have done so for 2 years now and each time I get told OMG I love this.. even if you dont drink coffee usually you can find something in there you like.

mam29 Sat 29-Jun-13 20:57:45

ps one xmas made jaimie oliver chocolates saw on his programme and year 1 teacher looked bit shocked not sure if she liked that or the xmas cookies?

Schmedz Sat 29-Jun-13 22:03:54

Best gifts I have ever received are nice bottles of champagne, vouchers for a department store, live plants ( that always remind me if the student who gave it to me, even many years later), and the very best are personal gifts chosen because the student knows I like that particular thing.
One child made a cake which was decorated with lots of things to do with the subject I teach...very lovely and unexpected.
Handwritten notes are ALWAYS appreciated if they are done from the heart and not out of a sense of duty smile
Best gifts colleagues abroad have received are iPhones, iPads, designer jewellery, exclusive tickets to international artists' concerts...I kid you not!!!
Agree...no mugs, chocolates or 'smellies' which unfortunately cannot always be used by the recipient.
However, any gift given from the heart means a great deal (even if you can't always use it, or don't even particularly like it!). It amazes me that people even think to give anything at all, as I certainly don't expect anything...gifts are a real bonus and appreciated.

ninah Sat 29-Jun-13 22:04:48

alcohol. Or cash

Catmint Sat 29-Jun-13 22:36:39

Dd y1 began to learn a bit of sewing this year. So today she painstakingly sewed together and stuffed a felt heart and decorated with buttons ready to give to class teacher.

All the others will get biscuits for the staff room.

Catmint that will be treasured!

Fuzzymum1 Sat 29-Jun-13 23:26:45

I plan to get DS to draw/colour a thank you picture which I will then scan and transfer onto a simple white plant pot (one for the teacher, one for the TA). In the pot will be a spider plant from a bigger one DS and I have been growing together. Simple, inexpensive but personal. I plan to include a card for the teacher with our thanks for everything she has done this year - she's an amazing teacher who has suited DS so well and I'm so happy he will be taught by her again next year.

Noggie Sat 29-Jun-13 23:38:25

I bought ceramic tiles from baker Ross and got DDs to draw on them with porcelain pens- they wrote sweet messages of thanks with hearts and flowers and portraits of their teachers! Baked them in oven so can have hot coffee cups placed on them etc quite pleased with my thank yous this year!
As a teacher I got a summer beach towel once which I loved grin

littlelz Sun 30-Jun-13 12:58:24

just wonder how much gift voucher did you give to the teachers. I am planning to give DD's teachers Amazon gift voucher.

Schmedz Sun 30-Jun-13 17:12:49

Teachers at our school often receive vouchers to which most(if not all of the class families contribute). Usually around £100. Extremely generous IMHO!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now