Is it normal for there to be no change in reading or maths levels from the start of the year to the end?

(29 Posts)
virgil Fri 28-Jun-13 20:19:29

We've just has DS1s report and whilst he is doing well there is no change in his English and maths scores. Is this normal or should we be concerned that he has not progressed? He is just eight by the way year 3.

mrz Sat 29-Jun-13 08:00:06

A 4C in writing requires a level of maturity not often found in 7 year olds

Feenie Sat 29-Jun-13 09:56:35

Goingmad, that doesn't work:

Y3 - 2b to 3c
Y4 - 3c to 3a
Y5 - 3a to 4b
Y6 - 4b to 5c

That's 3 levels from KS1 to KS2 - not average progress.

juniper9 Sat 29-Jun-13 10:06:54

Feenie, it doesn't make sense, but it is what we're being asked for as well.

If our children don't make 2 sublevels of progress then we're pulled up on it. I did point out that, by year 6, they will all be ready to sit their GCSEs but SLT had no answer for that.

My school has also decided to count the percentages differently- in year 2, it's a 2c+ and in year 3 it's a 3c+... which means we in year 3 have a bugger of a time just to maintain the high percentage who came up as 2c+.

Feenie Sat 29-Jun-13 10:45:20

Ah, that's different - you're asked to target children to make 2 sublevels as a matter of course, but that's high expectations, not average progress.

Ofsted expect you to set aspirational targets to make good progress - 2 sublevels, but no one would ever say that's satisfactory. I appreciate that in practice that's often the same thing though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now