So DD's best friend is a boy...

(35 Posts)
MilestoneMum Thu 27-Jun-13 22:16:44

...and they both like each other very much, but will he reach an age when he won't want to be best friends with a girl anymore?

They are both 4, at nursery together and start reception together in Sep.

JRmumma Fri 28-Jun-13 10:19:06

He might, but as long as your dd has other friends im sure she would get over it.

When I was at nursery school, i played with boys rather than girls. I don't really remember much about drifting apart from them but by the time i was about 7 my friends were mostly girls. Saying that my oldest friend is male. I have always found it much easier to be friends with males than females and think that must just be how i am and always has been. I don't understand why some regard it strange or inappropriate if people of opposite sexes are close platonic friends.

spiderlight Fri 28-Jun-13 12:16:29

DS is 6 and in Y1. He has the most beautiful friendship with a little girl he's known since they started nursery together aged 2. They've gone to different schools but still identify each other as their 'best friend' and they get on brilliantly. He was the only boy at her birthday party and I don't think he even noticed. She's very definitely the boss of him, despite being a bit younger and considerably smaller, and I'm hoping that their friendship will be lifelong. The plan as it stands is for DS to marry me first, then his beloved Auntie Sian and then finally this little girl, who will move in with us, along with her mum, when she turns 20. DS is already saving up to build an extension for them to live in grin

SavoyCabbage Fri 28-Jun-13 12:23:52

My dd's best friend is a boy too and she is nearly 10.

Startail Fri 28-Jun-13 12:27:29

DD and her 'boy friend' were friends all through KS2, they go to different secondaries, but at 15 and 14 they are still good mates when the run into each other.

BarbarianMum Fri 28-Jun-13 12:54:11

It is quite usual not to remain firm friends with your best friend from when you are 4. Regardless of gender. smile

Ds2's best friend at pre-school was a little girl. They are still friends now in reception but play together less exclusively, and increasingly with friends of their own gender. It has been a gradual and mutual thing, although ds2 did endure some teasing for playing w girls.

They agreed to get married a while back and have decided they will visit their mummys together, on alternative Sundays. So that's alright then. grin

BarbarianMum Fri 28-Jun-13 12:55:20

Obviously the marriage is not scheduled to take place for a few years.

lissieloo Fri 28-Jun-13 13:12:49

DS used to get some stick from his friends for having girl friends, he came back with "you're just jealous because I know how to behave with girls and treat them nicely. When you're older, you'll wish you were like me"

I have indoctrinated him well.

YoniBottsBumgina Fri 28-Jun-13 13:22:49

My best friend was a boy until year four when his mother decided he was too old to play with girls angry because of her ridiculousness we ended up getting really teased in the playground and it was all very bizarre. I made friends with a different boy instead and we made dinosaur pictures together.

Best-friend-who-wasn't-allowed-to-play-with-girls turned out outrageously camp, openly bisexual and a bit of a pompous twat. I find this really funny when I think about his mother grin

BooksandaCuppa Fri 28-Jun-13 15:30:10

Ds had three best friends until the end of primary - two of whom were girls. It was a very, very small school, though, and I think it does make a lot of difference. No splitting up of genders or age groups at all. They literally play with whomever they are best suited to playing with.

mrsshackleton Fri 28-Jun-13 15:55:57

Both my dd's best friends are boys (8 and 6).. There is nothing to be done about it, it's their decision. Whoever your dc's best friend, it's as well to encourage a couple of other friendships, as at this age relationships change weekly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now