Bit disappointed about the phonics test

(109 Posts)
Campaspe Mon 17-Jun-13 19:19:47

Have read with DD religiously just about every day, and we've spent plenty of time at home going over phonics. She came home today and told me she struggled with a lot of the words, and the teacher had a list of the ones she got wrong. So, it sounds as if in spite of her best efforts, DD didn't pass the check.

We read every night. We sound out words. She likes books and stories. She knows her sounds really well, but gets muddled when putting them back into words. We've worked together on this, but it just hasn't clicked yet. In class, she reads purple books and her teacher hasn't mentioned any concerns.

I feel disappointed that after all DD's (and mine!) work, it just hasn't clicked yet. What more can I do? Will it just sort itself out? Does it really matter?

FairyJen Fri 21-Jun-13 13:30:53

I really disagree with this test. I call it a test as that is how it was described to dd and her class. She was very stressed leading up to it as they were told you need to pass it to get into year 2. She was off ill a couple of days and was in a flap that she had missed it. When she did the test she was told she scored 39. She came out of school in terms that day thinking that because she had missed one poxy mark that she would not be going up with her friends.

I had to get the teacher to explain that she had passed. Personally I think this is too much too young!

< gets off soapbox >

FairyJen Fri 21-Jun-13 13:31:23

* tears not terms

RikeBider Fri 21-Jun-13 13:41:53

Wow, I would complain about that teacher! What is she playing at?

HarumScarum Fri 21-Jun-13 14:40:59

I think it's awful that they described it as a test. As far as DD and her friends were concerned, they were just doing some 1 to 1 work with a teacher which happens often anyway. And then they got a jelly bean. Some of these children are not yet 6 - they don't need to know they are being tested.

maizieD Fri 21-Jun-13 17:48:33

She was very stressed leading up to it as they were told you need to pass it to get into year 2.

Unbelievable....shock

AlienAttack Fri 21-Jun-13 17:51:05

fairyjen that sounds awful. But surely it isn't the test which is at fault, it is the teacher who chose to describe it in these ridiculous and stressful terms to your DD? I think we have to separate concerns about the test itself from how it was delivered by certain schools.

mrz Fri 21-Jun-13 19:06:32

and of course all those words are 2 syllable words learnandsay so too dificult for the check apparently.

mrz Fri 21-Jun-13 19:08:20

FairyJen you can't blame the screening check for the stupidity of your child's teacher/school.

Elibean Fri 21-Jun-13 21:19:08

I am very happy to say that dd2 didn't even know she'd taken the test. They certainly didn't use the word 'test', they just "went into Mrs X's little room and read some silly made up words" and dd really enjoyed herself.

If it had been remotely like Fairy's dd's experience, I would be furious too. As it is, I'm relieved and pleased that the school kept it as it should be - utterly low-key.

Oh - and the parents weren't aware it was happening either. It was just part of their day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now