National Curriculum levels removed and not replaced

(56 Posts)
mrz Sat 15-Jun-13 14:23:06

"As part of our reforms to the national curriculum , the current system of ‘levels’ used to report children’s attainment and progress will be removed. It will not be replaced."

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/curriculum/nationalcurriculum2014/a00225864/assessing-without-levels

Panzee Sun 16-Jun-13 18:24:13

I want to hate this but I'm quite excited at the (admittedly small) prospect of being freed from assigning numbers to children.

Panzee Sun 16-Jun-13 18:26:32

What I mean is, I don't trust the Government. But if my head teacher told me to just go ahead and teach, and ignore levels, I would snog her.

EvilTwins Sun 16-Jun-13 18:32:15

My Deputy Head is really keen on this idea. I am being teacher's pet helpful and trialling it with my Yr 8 & 9 classes. It works really well. I have put together progress grids for the projects we're doing (in the case of yr8, based in part on the success criteria they have created) and each student is able to see where they are, in terms of skills, and what they need to do next. It's kind of logical, and feels very free. The kids, after one or two "but what level is it?" questions have embraced it. My line manager informed me on Friday that the Deputy wants to see it in action and that if it works, she may well "wet her pants". grin

mrz Sun 16-Jun-13 18:32:33

and with the new curriculum focusing on phonics we could scrap book banding grin

spanieleyes Sun 16-Jun-13 18:53:05

Now, now, mrz, don't get carried away, how would mumsnetters boast about how clever/gifted/able their child is if they don't have book bands and levels to boast about!

juniper9 Sun 16-Jun-13 19:58:08

Maybe they could all boast about how much Latin their children can recite, or how much Chaucer they understand.

When's the next cabinet reshuffle?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now