Do your children get changed for PE at school or do they go in their PE kit on PE days?

(42 Posts)
insancerre Sat 15-Jun-13 13:57:31

I work in a nursery and have recently asked parents to send in a PE kit so that the children going to school in September can practise getting dressed and undressed for PE.
Most have done this and it is going very well- the children love it as they feel quite special and it is helping them learn an important life skill.
One of the parents made a comment about how schools in the next LEA ask the children to come into school already in their PE kit.
The school that we feed doesn't do this and I just wondered how widespread and common it is to not get changed at school.

Is this a safeguarding issue?
Are schools really worried that getting changed is an inappropriate activity for school?
Is it because boys and girls are together? And does it really matter at primary?
What about in the winter? It must be cold wearing PE kit

Any thoughts?

TeenAndTween Sun 13-Oct-13 12:24:28

One of our local schools seems to have a PE day across the whole school. The same day every week the whole school goes in in PE kit.

Other primaries round here just get changed in school. Reception PE time is mainly used learning how to get changed. smile

WidowWadman Sun 13-Oct-13 10:27:44

My daughter changes at school and I thought the main point of PE in the first term of reception is to teach them how to get changed if they can't do it already.

barebranches Sun 13-Oct-13 08:25:26

yup loads of my little ones cant put on a coat! Its amazing how quick they learn though when they want to get outside!

noramum Sat 12-Oct-13 21:51:10

In our school, infant only, the children leave their PE kit in school until the next holiday.

It is a T-Shirt and shirts, hardly appropriate for the whole day unless it is Summer maybe.

In the Junior school they come in PE for the early morning training and then change into uniform but that is not part of the school day but before-school club.

insancerre Sat 12-Oct-13 18:03:22

barebranches I think it is really important that children can do this.
I am always astounded by the number of children who won't even attempt to put their own coat on, never mind get undresed and dressed again
I am a firm beliver that school readiness is not about learning to read and write their names or doing maths sums
It is about being prepared to be independent and to be able to follow instructions, to be able to recognise emotions and get along with other people

Idislikemymil Sat 12-Oct-13 17:56:23

Mine go in their pe kit twice a week. It's smart - navy blue track suit with a logo. Before this, they changed at school but then often lost their pe kit, it wasted pe time getting changed and also the kit only got washed once every half term when they brought it home. Much prefer it this way.

Elibean Sat 12-Oct-13 17:45:11

OP, both my two have only ever got changed for PE at school. Except for sports day, fun run day, etc.

I suspect schools that have them come in in their PE kits do it for practical purposes of one sort or t'other, rather than health & safety.

PottyLotty Sat 12-Oct-13 17:35:11

My children still get changed at school and as a result im always chasing up lost bits of kit however my friends children do go to school (primary school age too ) in their PE kit on their PE days and she says it fantastic. No more lost kit and they know everyone will take part because they all have their kit plus PE is for the whole hour rather than for 40 minutes (20 minutes getting dressed and undressed). I wish all schools did this hmm

BrandybuckCurdlesnoot Sat 12-Oct-13 14:30:55

My yr 1 child goes to school in his PE kit, which is just jogging bottoms and trainers instead of school trousers and school shoes. They wear polo shirts and jumpers everyday so can wear those with their jogging bottoms.

Up until this year, he used to have a PE kit to change into in school, but his teacher this year prefers her pupils to wear their kit to school. It is purely a time saving exercise. They have 1 hr for PE and don't want to waste a large chunk of it changing.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 12-Oct-13 14:21:59

In Year 2 DD on a Monday arrived in the morning then mid morning changed into to Black Leotard for modern dance, changed back to school uniform. Before lunch changed into pink leotard for Ballet then after lunch then ballet back into school uniform. Mid afternoon into PE kit for PE then back into school uniform for home time. Fortunately DD had been able to dress herself since she was 3.5.

barebranches Sat 12-Oct-13 13:57:32

As a reception teacher... thank you for teaching your nursery children this skill!!! PE is very hard work in Autumn term of reception! grin

NotCitrus Sat 12-Oct-13 13:57:21

Ds's school change at school - posters in windows and letters home have informed us that getting changed and dressed is an important part of the national curriculum and please help your child practise getting dressed.

Ds did come home with his PE shirt under his school uniform the first couple times.

mousmous Sat 12-Oct-13 13:54:02

ours go in gym kit on pe day.
= long gym bottoms, t-shirt instead of polo shirt and school jumper.
they do pe indoors in socks, so only take shoes and jumper off.
saves time and hassle.

misdee Sat 12-Oct-13 13:46:29

They get changed at school.

Though dd3 had rugby tournament on Friday so went in in her kit, and came home in it.

The school my Ds attends go in their School track suit & polo shirt on PE days as their us nowhere for any of them to change .
I much prefer it this way as my Ds would get very confused at having to get changed halfway through the day

noblegiraffe Sat 12-Oct-13 13:36:17

My reception DS keeps PE kit at school and they change there.

We walk/scoot to school in the morning and the last couple of days it has been pretty nippy in the morning. I'd be exceptionally pissed off if the school wanted him sending in in t shirt and shorts! (PE is indoors).

Missymoomum Sat 12-Oct-13 13:29:32

My 2 (Yr1 and Yr2) go to a British school abroad and they both go to school in their PE kit and stay in it all day. Nothing to do with safeguarding, it's simply to save time. They have swimming on a separate day and wear normal uniform get changed at school with no problem. They don't get that sweaty as they're only 5 & 6! From Yr3 onwards they have to bring their PE kits in to school and get changed there.

Maltamum Fri 11-Oct-13 22:32:23

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Frikadellen Sun 16-Jun-13 16:10:36

Ours get changed at school. However I cant help but wonder about this. they come in PE clothes and then stay in the stuff they got all sweaty in all day??

MNEdBlackpoolWiganandSalford Sun 16-Jun-13 09:36:03

DDs 1st school infants - they got changed in classroom.
School 2 juniors - They came in in a pe tracksuit and stayed in it all day.
School 3 - 2nd Junior school - come in in any sport clothes as do pe all morning, get changed at lunch.

Up until someone complained all children through to year 6 got changed in classroom, a few of the older girls have started puberty and some parents complained as boys were laughing at them so now girls get changed in the library in year 5/6.

OldBeanbagz Sun 16-Jun-13 09:28:42

My DC have always changed at school except when it Sports Day and then they're asked to go in their kits.

The boys & girls get changed together in the classroom until Y2, then they're split after that.

ShadeofViolet Sun 16-Jun-13 08:00:09

DS (Y1) sometimes comes home from school in his kit if they dont have time to change, But I have never sent him to school in it.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Sun 16-Jun-13 07:52:57

Mine gets changed at school and has done so since YrR

Annanon Sun 16-Jun-13 07:29:30

Our school do this. Sports three days a week, nursery - Y2. Children go in wearing school tracksuits/Shorts & polo shirts on these days, purely from a time management perspective.

MirandaWest Sun 16-Jun-13 00:34:10

DC both get changed at school (year 2 and year 4). Not sure when there starts being separate changing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now