DS (reception) is reluctant to read

(79 Posts)
HappyAsEyeAm Tue 11-Jun-13 13:26:36

DS is nearing the end of reception. He is 5.

They do Oxford Reading Tree at school, and after a very slow start, he is nearing the end of Stage 3. He reads with his teacher every day, and we read with him at home too. He will get a new book if his teacher is happy with his reading, and now he seems to be getting a new book nearly every day. His teacher is happy with him.

We found that he only started really progressing if we read his book with him in the evening, and also again the following morning before school. Since we started doing that, he's come on very well, and is at the same level, or thereabouts, as most of his friends. So obviously, we want to continue in that vein. We (and the school) give lots of praise and encouragement for his efforts, and put emphasis on trying hard with his book when he reads to us, rather than on the result.

Lately though, I am finidng it harder and harder to actually get him to read with me. He prevaricates, throws strops, downright refuses etc. It takes forever to get him to read, despite me trying to make it fun, upbeat, doing it when he isn't too tired etc.

The only thing that seems to work is an incentive, and for him, that is usually a food treat eg a small packet of sweets, a small chocolate biscuit etc. I say that if he tries hard with his book, he can have a treat. And then he tries hard.

Am I doing the wrong thing? Obviously, I don't want to be using a food treat as an incentive forever. But non-food treats, praise, encouragement etc doesn't seem to work anymore to get him to read his book with us.

learnandsay Tue 11-Jun-13 21:45:51
Periwinkle007 Tue 11-Jun-13 21:52:36

that surprises me. Mind the stage 9 all star ones are actually only book band 7.

mrz Tue 11-Jun-13 21:55:55

It's an All Stars book written for reception Perriwinkle much lower reading level than the book you mention

mrz Tue 11-Jun-13 21:56:21

Periwinkle

learnandsay Tue 11-Jun-13 21:57:44

Thank god for that. It's utter pants.

mrz Tue 11-Jun-13 21:58:27

Dare I say I find the Usbourne phonic books boring

learnandsay Tue 11-Jun-13 22:00:42

No, you dare not! They're the one time in my life that I found phonics enjoyable!

mrz Tue 11-Jun-13 22:04:44

What on earth did you like about them?

learnandsay Tue 11-Jun-13 22:08:38

They're colourful. They rhyme. They zip along. They use a tiny vocabulary in an entertaining variety of ways. They're funny. I'm a fan of that one phonics application.

mrz Tue 11-Jun-13 22:15:09

They remind me of the old Gay Way books

damnitdamnit Tue 11-Jun-13 22:19:34

I bribe mine when needed with those sweet type vitamins.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 11-Jun-13 22:25:48

OP - DS has just been sent home with some Read Write Inc Phonics books, and they are great. I have no gripe with the ORT books, DS1 has enjoyed a lot of them, but it is nice to have a change!

learnandsay Tue 11-Jun-13 22:31:22
christinarossetti Tue 11-Jun-13 22:50:38

OP, my instinct is that getting into battles about reading twice a day is too much - I would aim to 'do his reading' once a day and think of it as a bonus if he wanted to read at other times too.

It might be worth either asking the school or going to the library to see if they have books rather than just ORT at his level. My dd found books that weren't fully decodable with the phonics she had been taught unbelievably frustrating when she was learning to read.

DewDr0p Tue 11-Jun-13 23:01:57

I think it's pretty normal for them to be a bit fed up by this stage of reception - they are quite tired by this time of year, perhaps a bit saturated.

Maybe back off the reading scheme books a little and concentrate on reading more exciting books together in the evening - DK Early Readers are brilliant and really got my stalled reader into reading. Or read picture book stories to him and get him to read a few sentences here and there (pick out ones which you think he can have a reasonable stab at)

Another technique I've seen my mum (retired teacher) use very successfully with ds was to get him to read the first 6 pages or so of the book twice rather than plough on through. Seemed to boost his confidence and the second time they talked about expression and stuff.

HTH! Both my mum and our school stress the importance of knowing when to back off a bit as well as pushing ahead (the pushing ahead bit being my natural tendency grin )

BabiesAreLikeBuses Tue 11-Jun-13 23:21:11

If the teacher reads with 30 children every da does he/she do anything else?!
Maybe 3 times reading the same book is too much. My ds prefers nonfiction so is currently reading an atlas in the car to and from school each day, then testing me on names of deserts and rivers....

NightLark Tue 11-Jun-13 23:30:03

We could only get DS to engage with non-fiction. He has no sense of narrative at all, and simply wasn't interested in stories until he was around 7 (Y2).

All fine in reception and Y1 when I would give him 'homework' credit for reading anything at all, from cereal packets to street maps, but took a bit of a dive in Y2 when the teacher refused to accept anything other than the 'standard' books as evidence of reading. Ho hum. Still can't get him to read a story book without bribery.

mrz Wed 12-Jun-13 06:44:01

Perhaps if you were more familiar with the early Gay Way books you would know learnandsay ... the name was changed and they are now called New Way

i.ebayimg.com/t/NEW-WAY-PLATFORM-BOOKS-1-PINK-1-RED-fat-pig-s-birthday-fat-pig-s-book-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/4CYAAOxy14VRWKw9/$T2eC16VHJHQE9nzEyl2TBRWKw9cI-g~~60_35.JPG

HappyAsEyeAm Wed 12-Jun-13 08:51:37

Thanks for the replies. Am I missing something? I barely post or read on the Primary education board, and from some of the replies and messages to other posters, I feel like I've walked into something. I appreciate people taking the time to reply to my OP though.

He is at a small private school. 12 or so children per class. There is a part time TA as well his teacher, and he reads with one or the other of them every day.

I was going to plough on with the ORT books, as that is the scheme the school does. So I (maybe naively) thought that if he progresses with those over the summer, he will be further on in the ORT scheme when he goes back in Autumn. Maybe I am seeing it as a priority that he progresses through the scheme, and maybe I should be thinking more broadly.

He actually enjoys the ORT books. I don't mind them either, as they're only one of X many books that we read every day. At Stage 3, they have more of a plot and a funny ending. The books I read to him vary enormously - non fiction, fairy tales, rhyming books, etc. But they're all picture books, as that's what he likes. We have a lot of books. I love reading to him, and he loves it too. We spend about 20 minutes a do with me reading to him. More at weekends.

I will definitely go to the library, think about star/reward stickers etc.

Thank you in particular DewDr0p for your reply - I have taken a lot out of it.

Periwinkle007 Wed 12-Jun-13 10:44:03

if you spent the summer doing ORT books then the school might move him up a level in september as a result but it is unlikely they would jump him up too far as they would probably want to make sure he was truly confident at that level and then he might just be rereading the same books.

I wouldn't worry too much about him moving up through the levels, obviously you want him to but there is so much more to reading. Keep doing the big variety of books you are already reading with him, encouraging him to help sound out and read the words he can in them.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 12-Jun-13 12:47:06

I would get him reading something other than the main ORT stories, definitely check out the library.

I got a few Floppy's Phonics for DS1 which he liked because the characters were familiar and he felt confident, and then we've branched out into other things. Espresso Phonics is quite good, and we also like the Reading Corner books - they their own levels/banding which means you can judge roughly which ones to get.

Tubemole1 Thu 13-Jun-13 00:32:38

I say leave him be. Too much imposition on your little man! He reads before, at and after school? What are you trying to prove, to yourself, or others?

I thought my daughter didn't read enough but she has almost finished the reading scheme at her school and she's only in Year 1. I don't force or cajole her, and the only fixed book time is when she is read to before bed. She finds the school books boring, but I can only suggest the Rainbow Magic and winnie the witch books as most of the others at her reading level are not appropriate subject matter for her. She reads picture books from the library on her own, too.

I have found that leaving books within easy reach and about her favourite subject matter is enough. She loves Moshi Monsters, fairies and animals. If she says, Mum, I'm bored! I tell her, I'll chuck all your toys and books away then, or give it to charity, as you don't need them! She then reacts by drawing a picture, playing with her toys, turning on her 3ds or reading a book! She doesn't want her stuff given away!

Ignore reading schemes etc ask your lad what he's into. Then get books from the library or Amazon around that subject. And don't force him!

Periwinkle007 Thu 13-Jun-13 09:28:13

Tubemole1 - have you tried The Magic Toy Shop series, Claude, some of the Dick King Smith, The New Adventures of the Wishing Chair, The Secret Mermaid, Laura's Star chapter books, Anna Hibiscus. I have lots more around that level I can recommend too. All perfectly suitable for a young reader (I am quite picky about what subject matter I would give to my 5 year old but these are all ok). There are a lot more out there than it appears at first look, it has taken me quite a while to find some of them though. (as an aside I am hoping to set up a blog/website about children's books to share information like this especially for young but good readers)

HappyAsEyeAm Thu 13-Jun-13 14:06:38

A bit harsh, tubemole. He reads before, at and after school, because we have found that, unless we do this with him, he doesnt make progress. And he likes the school books, and wants to progress through them, and be at the same level as his friends. So we are trying to find a way for him to get what he wants. I am not trying to prove anything to anyone.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 13-Jun-13 14:25:58

Happy it does sound in that case as if he really hasn't grasped the mechanics of reading, and is simply memorising the books - which it is possible to do at this stage because the books are fairly short and repetitive.

Do the school do phonics with them? Is he able to sound out and blend?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now