negative motivators in school...what to do, if anything??

(29 Posts)
TICKLETUMBLE Tue 21-May-13 05:51:42

DX school have just changed how golden time is awarded from something that is earned by good behaviour, to something that is removed for 'bad' behaviour.
Basically 'do as we say, or else you will suffer'.
This feels totally wrong to me.
It places the attention on unwanted behaviour, ignores any difficulties a child may have in responding to this sort of negative motivator, and flies in the face of natural consequences which the school state they believe in (restorative approaches, avoiding punishments as these breed resentment and are a poor motivators to change behaviour etc. etc.)

Anyone got any thing good to say about rewards systems using negative motivator that I can cling on to?

MaybeBentley Tue 21-May-13 20:23:06

My DC's last school did GT. The concept we were told is it rewards the children that are well-behaved, etc. all the time with the assumption everyone deserves GT until removal of time is used as a sanction for poor behaviour. I quite like that it rewarded the children who can sometimes get missed as they always do well. I can see lots of rewards when certain children need the extra support can be good for that child, but feel negative to the rest of the class and GT solves this issue. Managing the earning of GT must be confusing - my children would get hung up on how mcuh time they had earned and what for, compared to their friend who did something different to them.

UniS Tue 21-May-13 20:54:48

DS's class all start teh week with X minutes golden time, they can lose minutes for bad behaviour ( those minutes are spent sitting on the carpet facing the wall while rest of class get on with GT). They can also be rewarded with extra GT for above n beyond good behaviour, in which case they come in a few mins early from afternoon play and get first choice of GT activities.

chubbleigh Tue 21-May-13 21:11:50

With you on this one. I hate golden time for the reasons you say. I think it has a worsening affect on the kids it is supposed to influence.

Jezabelle Tue 21-May-13 22:22:56

Would you offer an alternative? Do you use other sanctions for negative behaviours? I'm very curious. I have mixed feelings re GT. Surely all time should be "golden"? [Said in a slightly tongue in cheek tone!]

I do take on board maybebentley's point about it being a reward to those who might otherwise be missed. Although I don't think it should be over used, I think it is a useful tool in settling one child's disruptive, attention seeking behaviour by taking a minute off their GT and therefore not having to give them a great deal of negative attention which they may crave.

Obviously this behaviour needs to be addressed in the long term and lots of positive attention given, but can mean that the short term situation is resolved so that the rest of the class's learning is not affected.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now