What would you do about teacher's errors in homework?

(67 Posts)

My DD is in reception and gets a small amount of homework. This week it's all about Goldilocks and the three bears. Only it's not - it's Goldilock's and the three bears. And it's in three places throughout the homework. Should I raise this with the teacher or should I let it go? I don't think my DD has noticed, to be honest but I am slightly concerned. What would you do? (Short of circling it all with a big red pen!)

MadameSin Wed 22-May-13 18:58:17

I put a red line under my son's year 2 teacher's comments in his reading log once ... 'where' was spelt as 'were' and 'there' was written as 'they're' ... she pulled me aside to explain she was mildly dyslexic blush Hope for my ds yet then grin

AvonCallingBarksdale Wed 22-May-13 18:51:46

I would always correct mistakes and have done in the past! I'm not too bothered about being seen as "one of those parents! smile

mrsmortis Wed 22-May-13 11:13:50

Small mistakes, typos, autocorrect issues often slip past me when I'm writing things for work so I don't think I can expect my DD's teacher to be a superhuman and never make a mistake. However, while I don't think I'd worry too much about the occasional issue with homework my DD brought home, I do think you need to think about how long those worksheets are going to be used for. Therefore, I'd point out the mistake to the teacher but the conversation would be along the lines of:

'Did you realise that there was mistake here? I thought I'd better point it out to you so it can be corrected for next year.'

it, not if!

Americans don't spell if favorit either smile

Ferguson Tue 21-May-13 20:20:37

PTT - was it an American teacher? Or just using an American spell checker? My spell checker just 'red-lined' favourite!

It's rather disconcerting when I think I've spelt correctly (and it's just red-lined 'spelt') and I have to load an on-line dictionary to double check.

Long term, maybe 'Americanisms' will just become accepted.

[And if anyone knows how to get a Linux computer to use a PROPER English spell checker I'd be interested to hear.]

Zigster Tue 21-May-13 10:13:16

At a recent parents' evening for my DS (Yr 1), we were looking through his maths work with his teacher.

I couldn't understand why one question had a cross next to it so asked his teacher (who is great, by the way). His teacher started to explain, then faltered part-way through and shamefacedly admitted that DS had got it right.

We all make mistakes - when I draft a report at work I occasionally find on review that there are apostrophes in the wrong place or I've written "there" rather than "their". I think it is better to correct it for your DD's sake - no need to make a fuss with the teacher, perhaps just flag it with your child "Oh look, Mrs X has put an apostrophe there where there shouldn't be one."

It's a reception teacher after all - they're there to help kids enjoy learning and get to grips with the very basics.. An ex of mine was a reception teacher and once asked me if 100,000 was the same as 1,000,000!

My DD once wrote favourite and had it crossed out in red pen and replaced with favorit shock

Pyrrah Tue 21-May-13 09:20:59

Very unique is dire I agree!

Horry - while lots of people use 'compared to' correctly, it's almost by default as they rarely use 'compared with'.

SandStorm Mon 20-May-13 20:35:14

Why does it need to be circled in red ink? Yes, it needs to be brought up but why can't you just mention it 'in passing'?

Blissx Mon 20-May-13 20:24:13

My DD's primary teacher wrote the wrong name on her feedback. Mistakes happen. However, there is no harm in circling the offending apostrophes on the work and as a teacher, I wouldn't be offended by that and would want it highlighted in case I use the worksheet again.

Ferguson Mon 20-May-13 19:31:11

More on spelling etc :

Even in secondary classes I have found it almost impossible to convince some kids that not EVERY final 's' in words need an apostrophe; I think they find it 'cool' to sprinkle them around!

But - I'm now mildly ashamed to say - I was well into my twenties before my MOTHER persuaded me there should not be 'e' at the end of 'fruite salade'!

Children accept what they THINK they hear : during WWII my Nan's milkman delivered 'Grey Day' milk. I was probably forty before I realised it was actually 'Grade A'.

Pyrrah - almost worse, I think, is the number of times one hears 'quite unique'; 'very unique'; 'almost unique'.

Pyrrah - "compare with" and "compare to" mean different things, is that what you're referring to?

OP, the Tipp-Ex would be tempting, yes. I couldn't help responding when DS1's teacher taught the class "wa- is always pronounced woh-" because, erm, it isn't. I don't mind "usually" or "almost always". We had a little correspondence in the reading log about that grin

Pyrrah Mon 20-May-13 12:49:07

Tippex the first time, red pen the second.

But I'm a grammar and spelling pedant.

'Compared with', 'similar to' and 'different from' are my personal bugbears - even BBC Newsreaders mess those up. However I would let those go on homework.

Apostrophes... no way! They are absolute basics and given how often I hear 'but my teacher says it's xyz' from DD, I would step in straight away.

DeWe Mon 20-May-13 11:59:38

My dd1 would have corrected it herself in reception, so I don't think saying reception don't know is necessarily correct.
Dh is very much a pedant and always comments on punctuation, particularly errant aposrophes, and dd1 is the same.

OldBeanbagz Mon 20-May-13 08:52:53

I send my DH in to see the teacher. They're getting used to him pointing out their mistakes now grin

BabiesAreLikeBuses Sun 19-May-13 23:22:08

Please don't give Gove any more ammo he already wants to hunt us down! I agree one mistake should be let go, however much your red pen is twitching. You don't know who wrote the sheet and i'm guessing they were focusing on content. That said my dd in reception used an apostrophe in her homework today. She wrote 'i did it 6 time's'..... And i did apply the rubber....

Ferguson Sun 19-May-13 22:44:27

I've just leant something too : looked up the different meanings between 'discrete' and 'discreet' - which I didn't know before! Thanks B&C!

In my second term as a TA, a Yr1 teacher doing letter V work, wrote on the board 'vacume cleaner'; I quietly pointed it out to her, and she was surprised it should be 'vacuum'. She also didn't know what a 'sloth' was!

[ Maybe MNers should collect examples of such errors, and send them to Michael Gove, with a copy to Lynne ('Eats, Shoots and Leaves') Truss. ]

Only joking (I think!).

[ My Linux computer seems to have an American spell checker, thus spells 'color', and doesn't like 'learnt'. ]

ninah Sun 19-May-13 22:00:39

I teach R, I'd like to be told! there was a howler up on my wall once. No one said anything, I suddenly spotted it when talking to a parent. I used to be an editor before I taught - anyone can make mistakes!

BooksandaCuppa Sun 19-May-13 21:52:12

Totally 'opposite', I mean.

BooksandaCuppa Sun 19-May-13 21:51:09

I also don't think that the fact that it's reception means it doesn't matter - some dc (mine included) knew what apostrophes were towards the end of reception and, besides which, this teacher might next year be teaching year two or year five. They do move around.

Next job for an eagle-eyed parent: point out the difference between 'discrete' and 'discreet' to the people writing curriculum brochures in many secondary schools - in regard to IT provision (as one example), they mean totally different things...

Periwinkle007 Sun 19-May-13 19:54:25

erm my reception daughter would have noticed so I would have written a note making some such statement. (she noticed a typing mistake in her homework last week). My daughter has done apostrophes at school this term so some reception children will use them although perhaps not in that class if they haven't done them.

Wow lots of responses! Thanks so much everyone. I certainly wouldn't consider making a big deal about it but I rarely see the teacher in question so my only option would be to write something in the homework book. I'm very surprised at the error as she comes across as very precise and particular - I'm sure she has no language issues. I know my DD won't be learning about apostrophes yet but I guess as someone said up-thread, it's about making sure it doesn't cause any confusion later.

Still in two minds about it but thanks for all the varying opinions!

PavlovtheCat Sun 19-May-13 16:13:51

I would say something, quietly.

nohalfmeasures Sun 19-May-13 16:11:43

Well, if the COSLA statement about education (in Scotland) is to be believed, teachers should no longer be considered educators.

"Indeed, we would even suggest that the primary
role for a teacher should not be to teach children but should be articulated in terms of ensuring the development, well being, and safety of children"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now