£75 spending money for school trip?!

(41 Posts)
Reallynothappy Sat 18-May-13 17:59:06

Year 6 residential coming up, already paid for. All meals and entrance fees included. It's only 4 days.
So I was a bit shocked at being advised at meeting that they were recommending £75 spending money. If they dont want to carry cash children are allowed to take a cash card. My dd doesn't have a cash card! But she wants one now, to fit in. Grrrr!
Is this not a bit excessive? WIBU to make a stand and just give her enough for a fiver a day, even if it singles her out? It's just quite a lot, and the trip wasn't cheap to begin with.

missyPlumcake Sat 25-May-13 20:22:20

DD just been on her YR6 residential on a PGL holiday. They were allowed a maximum of £5 each spending money. Staff said it was because otherwise a ridiculous amount of junk destined for landfill is bought. They just need enough for some little memento and some sweets. DD still managed to buy a bracelet for three family members with her fiver and sweets for herself.

nohalfmeasures Mon 20-May-13 19:33:26

That's a crazy amount of money, and many families simply won't be able to afford it. DS1 residential trip spending money is no more than £15

Fuckwittery Mon 20-May-13 19:29:01

Just wondering if you'd spoken to the school about this yet OP, I want to know how they can justify this amount of spending money!
Have you discussed with any other parents, might be worth you all saying you think it is too much

Elibean Mon 20-May-13 10:51:45

Yikes.

Our Y6 residential, which is Mon-Fri, recommends £10 I think.

Leafy London suburb school.

OldBeanbagz Mon 20-May-13 08:55:53

DD away at the moment (5 nights) and the spending money is £40. That seemed a lot to me so £75 is shock

HKTekGuy Sun 19-May-13 21:10:31

Last year DS went to Spain on a school trip. We gave him £100 in the belief that having too much money and not needing it was better than vice versa.

We attached a condition though. £40 was his to spend on whatever. Anything above that we reserved the option to look at what he spent the money on and to deduct it from his pocket money if we deemed it to be a utter waste of money.

He went over by £10 but it was a souvenir for his grandparents so we let it go.

cocolepew Sun 19-May-13 19:00:01

Way too much! DD went to Edinburgh a few weeks ago, Mon to Fri including travel and £40 was the limit.

BackforGood Sun 19-May-13 18:54:32

I think it's ridiculous for a sightseeing trip too Still18atHeart. With all meals, transport and admissions provided, what are 10 and 11 yr olds going to spend nearly £20 a day on? Indeed, what would anyone spend £20 a day on ?

Phoebe47 Sun 19-May-13 17:08:40

£75 pounds is ridiculous for a four day trip. I would be querying it with the school. Whatever are they going to spend it on? It puts you in a difficult position as you don't want your DD to be the odd one out but I would be very surprised if everyone brought that amount of money. Definitely have a chat with the Headteacher about it asking why such a large amount of money is being recommended.

Ilovesunflowers Sun 19-May-13 17:04:12

Ouch! When I did week long residentials my year 6's were allowed to bring £5! That was plenty for a couple of small gifts and they were allowed to bring snacks so they didn't have to buy them.

trinity0097 Sun 19-May-13 06:43:42

Will they have to buy any food? I used to do a school trip to London, and the children would have to bring money to eat at the services on the way home, as we left London about 4pm and got back about 8pm, so they needed supper and had only had a packed lunch for lunch. We would ask they they keep back £10 to be on the safe side.

Does the place they are going to have expensive things like hoodies on sale?

Still18atheart Sun 19-May-13 00:30:12

Think it depends what the trip is something like PGL it is a little excessive
But not a 4 day sightseeing trip to london

HKTekGuy Sun 19-May-13 00:00:17

The were recommending £75 so I'm a bit confused by the 'Grrr'.

Flojobunny Sat 18-May-13 23:27:41

That is a ridiculous amount. I would go in and speak to them.

BackforGood Sat 18-May-13 23:23:57

dd2 went on her Yr6 Residential in the Spring - 4 very full days, and it was suggested they took £3-£5 per day, as they do quite a big 'project' / write up when they get back and might like to buy postcards of some of the places for illustrating the project. One day they all go for an ice-cream, but the school negotiated with a place that they would provide 90 people for an ice-cream (whatever the weather) and the shop would charge them each £1.
Oh, and you put it in daily envelopes, marked with child's name, and they get issued at breakfast, so if anyone loses money, they only lose that day's.
Can't begin to imagine what they would spend that much on.

flanbase Sat 18-May-13 23:22:24

That's too much money for a school trip and to suggest a cash card is wrong. What are they doing to need this money?

PrincessOfChina Sat 18-May-13 23:20:42

It doesn't actually surprise me that much. We used to go on a PGL weeke every year in secondary school and were allowed £35 spends. The first time I went is 22 years ago...

outtolunchagain Sat 18-May-13 23:14:29

Ds3 has just been on his year 6 residential (4days) we were recommended to send between £5 and £10, he didn't spend all of it .

Euphemia Sat 18-May-13 22:44:44

When I went on our school residential in 1977 our spending money for the week was £1! 20p a night! For that I got a Mars Bar, a can of Vimto and some penny sweets.

Ah, them were the days smile

DeWe Sat 18-May-13 22:41:58

I would go and ask what they're expecting it to be spent on. It might be that there are evening activities that are expensive or, say, they all tend to want to buy the residential tracksuit. I doubt it, but I'd want to check first before my dc was the "only child not able to XYZ"

But it may be worth telling the teacher that my dc's residential they were allowed £10 for the week. One dormitory of 4 decided to blow their entire money together on sweets for a midnight feast on the last night. £40 of sweets= 4 not very well girls at the end. grin

Are you certain it wasn't a misprint for £7.50? And the teachers will have a fit when they find children with that amount of money.

Dancingqueen17 Sat 18-May-13 21:52:51

I work in a boarding school and regularly go on trips with yr 6. What I can tell you is that they often want to spend all their money regardless. They usually spend it on utter tat, semi tat (rubbers and pencils), presents for every member of the extended family (usually extremely naff)+ pets or sweets and slush puppies. £75 is absolutely ridiculous. I would look at what opportunities there are to spend i.e. if they are at an activity centre with only 1 shop a couple of pounds a day is loads, if out and about a bit more maybe £5 a day and maybe tell them they are only allowed to spend x each day on sweets! Also tell them not to worry about gifts for family (it will save you having to pretend to be thrilled with a key ring and a biro!

lljkk Sat 18-May-13 20:48:12

DD asked to bring £15 for 5 day trip, and meanie me is letting her take it all out of her own cash (I think £3 ought to be enough).

Fuckwittery Sat 18-May-13 20:39:45

what on earth are they going to spend 18 odd quid on every day?! tbh i think you should raise with the school and check that they are not meant to be chipping into meals or buying their own snacks etc

quip Sat 18-May-13 20:33:42

Good heavens! I very nearly posted a week ago complaining about the £5 limit for a y3 school trip being £3 more than I thought reasonable.

Fuzzymum1 Sat 18-May-13 20:02:36

My DS2 on a Y10 residential trip to Belgium for 5 days wasn't allowed more than £50 worth of euros. £75 is utterly ridiculous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now