G&T guided reading (y1)

(53 Posts)
bobthebear Fri 17-May-13 23:23:03

DD has been classed as 'exceptionally G&T' in reading. Her current reading book is a book the year sixes have as their guided reading book (I have a relative in y6 who is in the top group so know the books are the same). But she's being forced to read this book she read in nursery in guided reading!

Is this normal? Should I mention it or just hope her y2 teacher manages her guided reading better?

Periwinkle007 Mon 20-May-13 09:32:20

is there a list of NC levelled chapter books Mrz?

learnandsay Mon 20-May-13 16:11:06

As I suspected, I've just had my daughter read the original Aesop's fable. She is not familiar with the concept of begging but surmised that in the story it's a form of asking for something. She didn't know the expression "heart of stone," but she explained that she didn't like the chef (called cook in the story) because she didn't give the poor man any food.

Who did you like in the story?
The maid and the poor man.
Why only the maid and the poor man?
Because the maid was kind. I did like the chef in the end.
Why did the chef give the cook a bone! We don't eat bones!
(I had to explain about bone marrow and how it's used in cooking.)

And so on...

From this I think next time we get a traditional tale from school we will read it in the original. The original was excellent both as a story and conversation piece. The ORT stage four book was neither.

blueberryupsidedown Mon 20-May-13 17:18:39

In year 1, at our school, the children choose their books. They can either borrow books at their own level (colour coded) or books 'below' their colours. DS2 sometimes comes back home with very easy books but he wants to read them, and that's fine with me. He is not G&T but he is doing well with his reading, level 2a.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now