SATS - I'm livid but where do I stand?

(30 Posts)
Streety6324 Tue 14-May-13 10:09:27

My son has horrific diarrhoea this morning (too much info I know but he woke up in it - we've never experienced anything like it) I rang the school and they said that he would not be allowed to take the test another time (I spoke to receptionist) Worse than that - he will be awarded a level 3. The problem is he narrowly missed out on 11+ and rather than appeal we felt it better to give him the option of taking the 12+. To even be able to sit the school entrance exams he has to get level 5 in his SATS. At the end of Spring term he was 4a in English and already a 5 in Maths - so this is completely achievable. He has also completed sections of his revision booklet each day and is now gutted that he'll be given a level 3. Also because its diarrhoea - what on earth do I do about tomorrow? It's slowed up now but he is still having bouts. Where do I stand??

amidaiwish Tue 14-May-13 13:29:46

Glad you've sorted it. Complain about the receptionist though. She shouldn't be spouting crap like that. Grrrrr

mrz Tue 14-May-13 16:30:11

Absence during the test period
Following a successful pilot in 2012, children who are absent on the published test date for a valid reason may take a test up to a week (five school days) after the date specified on the statutory timetable (see section 8.1.2).

If a child takes a test on a date other than the scheduled date the headteacher must ensure
that:
• the child is kept apart from other children who have taken the test and that their parent(s) take responsibility for ensuring the child does not contact other children who have taken the test before they have taken the test themselves; and
• the confidentiality of the test materials is maintained.

ouryve Tue 14-May-13 16:34:07

How can he be awarded a level 3? There should be numerous years of teacher assessment on his record. I think someone's talking bollocks. Well, i certainly hope so.

ouryve Tue 14-May-13 16:38:01

And should have read on - glad the headteacher was more reasonable.

mrz Tue 14-May-13 16:47:17

If a child didn't take the test at all they would be marked A and not awarded a level 3

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now