SATS - I'm livid but where do I stand?

(30 Posts)
Streety6324 Tue 14-May-13 10:09:27

My son has horrific diarrhoea this morning (too much info I know but he woke up in it - we've never experienced anything like it) I rang the school and they said that he would not be allowed to take the test another time (I spoke to receptionist) Worse than that - he will be awarded a level 3. The problem is he narrowly missed out on 11+ and rather than appeal we felt it better to give him the option of taking the 12+. To even be able to sit the school entrance exams he has to get level 5 in his SATS. At the end of Spring term he was 4a in English and already a 5 in Maths - so this is completely achievable. He has also completed sections of his revision booklet each day and is now gutted that he'll be given a level 3. Also because its diarrhoea - what on earth do I do about tomorrow? It's slowed up now but he is still having bouts. Where do I stand??

Periwinkle007 Tue 14-May-13 10:13:07

well I think regarding tomorrow you have to keep him off, the 48hr health rule is there for a reason.

It sounds wrong that he is just automatically awarded something below his expected level of achievement. I don't really understand SATS but is there no medical exemption type category? there must be something that would mean he was 'awarded a 3 due to missing exam for medical reasons, this is not a true reflection of his ability' type of category.

Sparklingbrook Tue 14-May-13 10:15:13

Hi Streety that is very sad. Join us on this thread.

MerylStrop Tue 14-May-13 10:16:10

that must be bollocks

and surely the school don't want a very able student do be marked as a level 3 and bring down their marks

if he's ill with D&V, he cannot take the test

I would ring to speak to the head.

tiggytape Tue 14-May-13 10:17:11

The school are wrong. Children who are off ill can sit the exam another day (which is why parents who try to boycott the SATS by keeping their child off school are unlikely to achieve what they want - the child can sit it days later).

Also a child who misses the SATS test isn't awareded a level 3, the child gets nothing but the school gets a fail. This is done to prevent schools 'managing out' pupils who are likely to do badly on the day of the exam and inflating their overall grade average.

There are guidance notes for schools and this year there is actually a longer time frame for him to complete the exam than in previous years. I'll try to find the guidance for you if I can.

Sparklingbrook Tue 14-May-13 10:17:15

YY to speaking to the Head.

Bluebell99 Tue 14-May-13 10:17:28

Did the receptionist tell you he would be awarded a level 3? Sounds a bit strange to me. Our school does do teacher assessments as well and said that if a child failed to achieve their expected level they would make sure that the secondary school was informed.

tiggytape Tue 14-May-13 10:21:53

Found It Here:

Illness at the time of the tests

Children who are ill on the day of the tests are not expected to sit them however schools should consider the use of a timetable variation if it is a minor illness and a child is not able to take the test later in the day.

A timetable variation allows a child to take a test up to a week after the published test date. More information on applying for and administering a timetable variation is available on the Timetable variations page.

If a child does not take a test because of illness, the child should be entered as absent on the attendance register.

lljkk Tue 14-May-13 10:24:52

There's a thread going for those of us with poorly DC during SATs week, here. They CAN reschedule today's SAT, it's just a bit of faff. There's some hotline they have to ring, DD's Monday test didn't get rescheduled until Monday noon, there's still time, I am going to try to find the phone number. You print it out & turn up there asking WHY can't they reschedule again?

yanbu to be livid if they insist they can't reschedule.

tiggytape Tue 14-May-13 10:25:33

See also here

STA will consider applications for a change to the test timetable for an individual child or the whole cohort under the following circumstances:

a child is absent on the day of the test due to illness;

Make sure you can verify your child has not has internet access (don't let him post stuff online) and that he has no contact with other pupils in the class. This will enable the Head to fill out the form fo rhim to take the test up to a week from today.

Make sure you speak to the Head today as well as the guidance implies permission for a late test needs to be officially sought today.

lljkk Tue 14-May-13 10:25:40

2011 form....

MadeOfStarDust Tue 14-May-13 10:25:48

YY - our school says if a child is ill they can sit the test within a week so long as they are kept away from classmates before then - We were told it was new this year.....

We were also told that if they really were very ill and could not sit the test within the week, the teacher assessment would go in their Secondary school report - not just a default 3.

lljkk Tue 14-May-13 10:27:02

Xpost, tiggytape has it for you, print that out & march up there all sweet and innocent and ask why that info doesn't apply, please?

Streety6324 Tue 14-May-13 10:31:21

Hi, yes it was the receptionist - she said ''Mrs (headmistress) told us the other day that if they are ill they will only be awarded a level 3". But I agree, it can't be right, why would they want a negative outcome? I'm awaiting a call back from Bucks CC - she said she will look into it. At least then I know where I stand before I call back and speak to headmistress. We have just looked at the PowerPoint presentation that the headmistress used at the meeting and all it says is that children must take the test at the same time. All very well in an ideal World! If this was just about streaming in Yr 7 then I really wouldn't be so bothered.

Streety6324 Tue 14-May-13 10:32:42

Ooh thanks everyone - I will do exactly that!! I'll let you know what happens xxx

Sparklingbrook Tue 14-May-13 10:33:16

Good luck. x

tiggytape Tue 14-May-13 10:35:44

Streety - I hope you get a call back soon but don't let it get too late.
The school must make the application today for the exam to be rescheduled.

Whatever the Head and her presentation said, there are systems in place to vary the timetable for some children (or even for the whole Year 6!). Of course there are. This happens every year.

Maybe put in a call with the Head too and ask specifically why she has not asked the STA for permission for your DS to sit the exam late yet.

Streety6324 Tue 14-May-13 10:59:14

Am waiting a call back from the Head as she was on the phone - apparently there are a couple of pupils off and they've had a 'rethink' - even that annoys me a little. But I guess I'm in that mood now sad

RustyBear Tue 14-May-13 11:12:49

We had a child off sick yesterday who missed the reading paper - he came in this morning, stayed in the office away from other children until the start of the SPAG test, completed that and then went out to break with a TA to keep him away from the other children - he is now doing yesterday's paper, after which he will rejoin his class and do the rest of the week's papers as normal.

i think these arrangements may be fairly new, though schools have always been able to ask for variations in advance if they knew of a problem - we once had a child who was filming for a TV show that week and was allowed to take three of the papers in one day.

LazyMonkeyButler Tue 14-May-13 11:18:28

When DS2 was taking Year 6 SATS this time last year the school made it very clear that if anyone was poorly - anything less than hospitalised (actual words) - they would be expected to attend school and take the test in isolation. After the day's tests they would be able to go straight back home, no need to wait until the end of day.

No idea what the legalities are though & whether that actually happened!

lucjam Tue 14-May-13 11:52:51

A girl at DD's school is missing tomorrow as its her Grandmothers funeral. Her parents had to come into school and sign forms to say that they wouldn't allow her to talk to any peers and that they will take mobile phone/internet away from her. She will take the test the next day when she is back.

Automatically giving a level 3 is ludicrous, and how demoralising for your DS. Hope you get it sorted and he can sit it soon.

everlong Tue 14-May-13 11:58:35

That sounds fair. Not. shock

Hope you sort it OP and that your ds feels better soon.

Streety6324 Tue 14-May-13 12:21:22

Ok - just spoke to the Head. She explained that they can re-schedule and he can do the test on Thursday. Also said he can go in and do tomorrow's test and then come home if he is still feeling weak. What a huge palava!! Thank you all for your input - really was invaluable. Btw - the lady from Bucks CC never rang back! :/

Streety6324 Tue 14-May-13 12:24:52

Lazymonkeybutler - I can't believe that! Even if they are isolated how can a child perform at his/her best when they feel ill! This all seems so skewed sad

ProudAS Tue 14-May-13 13:10:29

There is not a lot that councils can do as schools have a lot of autonomy (even if they haven't become academies).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now