How many children out of 100 would be reading ORT yellow and blue books in Y2?

(152 Posts)
HotheadPaisan Sat 11-May-13 19:39:48

I know DS1 is behind but just wondering. Interestingly, he is starting to write independently so he must be able to read a bit I'd have thought.

Anyway, just interested in where he is now. I am optimistic it will all come together in the future.

Actually my real question is what SATs level is this if reading is a separate category, I can't remember from his mixed P6/1c levels in Y1.

HandbagAddiction Tue 11-Jun-13 12:53:31

Can i just add to the point that was made very early on in the thread about getting eyesight tested? I think if you are going to do this, it would make sense to consider getting them tested by a benhavioural optometrist rather than simply going down to your local Specsavers or equivalent.

I say this only because sometimes (and as experienced with my own dd1 - who by the way is dyslexic as well - although her eye issue is separate to that) it is not really the eye sight itself that is the issue, rather the way in which the eyes work together or more importantly often don't. This is often refered to as 'teaming'.

So dd1 for exmaple has pretty perfect eye sight distance wise and would never fail an eye test at a standard opticians. She does however have problems with the way in which her eyes work together which results in moving letters on a page, difficulty reading certain types of fonts, blurredness, etc. So, treatment for this has made reading more of a pleasure for her and has allowed her to catch up significantly - although it will clearly never address some of her underyling dyslexia problems.

HotheadPaisan Tue 11-Jun-13 10:39:30

It's a good point about not confusing him. He loves books (well, me reading to him), just got to be patient I think. I still think there is room somewhere for some computer-aided learning, he will believe what he reads over what he is told, when he can read of course, just got to be patient and let the teachers and TAs carry on with what they are doing.

BabiesAreLikeBuses Mon 10-Jun-13 22:37:13

It was me who mentioned the american accent - it was on a preschool number game and entertained me, nothing more. I've only found one app out there - hairy letters - that i was happy with for phonics and the l and r need replacing (you can record over their version). As for errors my dc made them intentionally as it made a whoopee cushion noise for mistakes hmm
There are a lot of bad apps out there, for telling the time i found loads of really confusing ones. I agree with mrz that you can't replace one-to-one with an adult but if you want a game to practise something or need to rote learn anything they're helpful.

mrz Mon 10-Jun-13 21:21:12

I'm pleased it has worked out for your child but I know many more who have need intensive support because they have been confused by incompatible methods.

zzzzz Mon 10-Jun-13 21:09:21

I don't really want to conclude that at all, but yes that was how your posts came across to me. I'm glad that's not the case. smile

I disagree that apps aren't helpful, because I have seen the huge boost they have given to ds. He copes much better with the restricted and repeatable language and it helps him to be able to recap. For us they have been a very positive addition to other literacy based activities/games.

mrz Mon 10-Jun-13 20:48:01

My points are that APPs for reading are not as effective as a sympathetic, supportive adults ... most Phonic APPs available feature American methods which are not compatible with the method used in UK schools and when it comes to phonics an American accents confuses children meaning they make errors blending and segmenting words.

You seem to want to conclude that this me technophobic and xenophobic well sorry to disappoint but you are mistaken

zzzzz Mon 10-Jun-13 20:34:10

Well if my take on what you've posted is so wrong and you want to be understood, then yes!

learnandsay Mon 10-Jun-13 20:30:34

This is veering into the personal now. The argument about the apps and whatnot was fine.

mrz Mon 10-Jun-13 20:27:13

Do I need to when you can tell me what I think

zzzzz Mon 10-Jun-13 20:21:16

Why don't you just take a deep breath and say what you ARE trying to get across.

mrz Mon 10-Jun-13 20:13:28

Once again you are putting your own spin on things. I have never once said that I have a problem with children picking up American accents ...or that the child had phonological issues hmm

zzzzz Mon 10-Jun-13 20:09:26

Perhaps if you suggested alternatives and hadn't rambled off into virtual keyboards regarding an app that doesn't use one, your intent would be clearer.

Several people have expressed their children have benefited from the tech. Rather than sharing any info you have we have heard about a child whose parents thought he was speaking Spanish but you claim had a phonological issue hmm , the horror of children picking up an American pronounciation, the cost of the iPad being prohibitive (without any knowledge of OP's financial situation) and now that the apps are cheep.

Now we hear the children in your car make extensive use of technology. confused

I'm at a loss to understand your stance at all.

My ds enjoys working on the iPad. Last week he learnt his 7xtable, last term he learnt all the countries in Europe, he has used it to recap his reading having become very unhappy reading school reading schemes. He has learnt his number bonds to 10 and can label parts of a horse, fish and frog. For us it has been a joy.

mrz Mon 10-Jun-13 19:57:33

Technology has a place and works really well for some subjects and less well for others. Phonics is one of those areas where it isn't as effective as a "real live" person.
zzzzz may not think accent matters but if a child is constantly making errors because the accent is unclear then it does matter IMHO.

mrz Mon 10-Jun-13 19:40:08

How will he feel if he makes errors on the APP?

learnandsay Mon 10-Jun-13 19:36:36

As long as they read books that's fine. I wouldn't be happy if my child wasn't being taught to read books. The technology comes and goes.

mrz Mon 10-Jun-13 19:32:25

No learnandsay all our children use ebooks and computer based reading programs in school and home in addition to "real" books.

mrz Mon 10-Jun-13 19:24:55

zzzzz you are making your own assumptions regarding my take on technology for SEN based on the fact that I am not impressed with some very badly produced cheap APPs ...hmm

HotheadPaisan Mon 10-Jun-13 16:05:33

I guess it is precisely because it is indirect, and sort of errorless, the app is consistently 'right', that it might work for DS1 as reinforcement and supplementary to the amazing efforts his teacher and TAs put in.

He is cognitively able, as far as we know, as in there is no obvious intellectual disability although there are clearly many neurocognitive/ physiological barriers to him learning.

He may just take a lot longer to get there via the methods being used, and that's fine too.

zzzzz Mon 10-Jun-13 10:54:36

mrsz I'm truly amazed at your take on technology as a aid to literacy for kids with sn. Especially given how extraordinarily helpful this kind of intervention can be. I know you are training to be a SENCO, but have you ever used the technology with a child with communication difficulties?

You do seem very worried by accents and foreigness in general. For most of us this is very far down on the list of what's important.

learnandsay Mon 10-Jun-13 10:16:41

Learning to read is mainly a question of practice, so supposing it was possible to learn to read from an app, the child would need to spend a lot of time using it. And at school the child would be expected to use a book.

PolterGoose Sun 09-Jun-13 22:49:57

The argument against the American apps reminded me that I'm sure I learnt most of my reading from Sesame Street confused

mrz Sun 09-Jun-13 20:43:36

Galena I know which post I was replying to and was delayed posting it because of a phone call ... If you prefer we can call the "games" used in the APP recommended earlier as "activities" or any other term you prefer

Galena Sun 09-Jun-13 20:38:04

Since the child in that post is referred to as 'he' throughout and no mention is made of games, we'll have to agree to disagree about which post you were replying to. Surely the person can be very supportive, but if the child won't respond or cooperate with the adult, it doesn't matter how supportive they are?

mrz Sun 09-Jun-13 20:33:15

I was actually replying to an earlier post
" Galena Sun 09-Jun-13 16:41:08

I guess for demand-avoidant and conflict-avoidant learners, a person looking at books with you can lead to perceived demands and conflict as it is not entirely child-led necessarily, and if he gets something wrong, there is a person telling him it is wrong (in whatever way, gentle or not) that he can direct his anger and frustration towards. However, with an app there isn't a person there to pit himself against, so he may well be more able to accept correction."

and I would still say that an American APP is not as effective (and often have negative impact) as a supportive person (book optional)

Galena Sun 09-Jun-13 20:26:05

It obviously was there because you replied to what I had said in it... but anyway.

I still would say that an American app that your child will interact happily with is more effective than a British book that your child will have nothing to do with or even a British parent or teacher that your child will scream at because they perceive conflict.

I am not saying they are necessary. I am not saying that every child is demand avoidant. I AM, however, saying that for some children they may be a valuable tool but not the only tool to develop phonic and word knowledge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now