How many children out of 100 would be reading ORT yellow and blue books in Y2?

(152 Posts)
HotheadPaisan Sat 11-May-13 19:39:48

I know DS1 is behind but just wondering. Interestingly, he is starting to write independently so he must be able to read a bit I'd have thought.

Anyway, just interested in where he is now. I am optimistic it will all come together in the future.

Actually my real question is what SATs level is this if reading is a separate category, I can't remember from his mixed P6/1c levels in Y1.

mrz Mon 13-May-13 07:43:22

You could just write the sounds on squares of paper or postit notes HotheadPaisan.

HotheadPaisan Mon 13-May-13 10:59:49

Yes, just need a vague plan to follow, especially for summer, will talk to his teacher and TA. As always, torn between letting him get there in his own time, school is tiring enough for him, and pushing him a bit (as much as he'll tolerate!).

His levels cannot have been right before, there has been progress and he does mostly enjoy school now, but if he was 1c 18 months ago I reckon he still is.

HotheadPaisan Fri 07-Jun-13 14:36:47

Hello, me again. I have the levels now and would appreciate thoughts on them. Does this mean a year to 18months behind with R&W for a Y2 DC?

Reading 1a/1b, Writing 1a/1b, Maths 2c

Hello matey, no idea really about the levels just a wave and a hi five on my way past x

HotheadPaisan Fri 07-Jun-13 14:50:45

smile How are you?

Periwinkle007 Fri 07-Jun-13 14:51:23

I don't understand the levels really myself but I would interpret those the same way you have. Maths is fine for Yr2, Reading and writing are behind by a year to 18 months ish I think.

HotheadPaisan Fri 07-Jun-13 15:13:38

Thanks, as long as we know where we're at. I think it's a shame he was assessed a bit too high last year so it looks like little/ no progress this year. His teacher and TAs have been brilliant this year and there has been progress.

HotheadPaisan Fri 07-Jun-13 15:41:55

Actually, he had these levels halfway through last year:

English - S&L–1b R – WcW-Wb
Maths - 1c
Science - 1c

Periwinkle007 Fri 07-Jun-13 16:08:22

I suppose the main thing is that he has managed to make progress which hopefully will carry on.

RosemaryandThyme Fri 07-Jun-13 16:44:10

lowest ability children will not have got to ORT yellow.

next 5 will

remaining 90 will be way beyond.

HotheadPaisan Fri 07-Jun-13 19:22:20

So bottom 10%?

zzzzz Fri 07-Jun-13 22:48:20

This is very helpful if you have an iPad you can try or free

www.learntoreadfree.com/

Galena Sat 08-Jun-13 08:05:08

In my Y3 classes, I would generally have 5 or so children on ORT stages 2 or 3 at the start of the year. Some of them would progress steadily up the stages, while others would need to move sideways onto different books because they were struggling.

mrz Sat 08-Jun-13 08:14:02

It just isn't possible to say the bottom 10% because in some schools there won't be any children at that level and in others there could be the majority of the class. There are so many variables don't try to put a figure on it.

HotheadPaisan Sat 08-Jun-13 08:18:28

Good point, it doesn't really matter does it. Need to really think about an iPad, he needs apps that show him that what he thinks something is is right and he needs lots and lots of repetition and practice, but in his control.

BristolBanshee Sat 08-Jun-13 08:21:41

Personally I would stop worrying about levels and try and foster a love for reading and books, this is far more important in the grand scheme of things. My oldest has working memory issues, I knew years before he was diagnosed as he couldn't blend until he was about six, and HATES reading. It's only now he's older that he's begun to pick up books.

HotheadPaisan Sat 08-Jun-13 08:26:23

Yep, he loves me reading him books and is starting to write adventure stories loosely based on what I read.

mrz Sat 08-Jun-13 08:36:51

I wouldn't worry about ipads or apps the evidence is that children learn best from a suitable and supportive adult rather than from a computer screen.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sat 08-Jun-13 08:36:55

That's great Hothead. I would second fostering that love of books. Ds has recently started getting the Pheonix Comic, which he loves. Sometimes I read it to him, as the text is quite challenging, but he enjoys looking at the pictures.

Reading Chest might well be worth a look. I used it when ds was between reception and Year 1 and he loved it.

Best of luck with everything. You sound like a brilliant mum.

HotheadPaisan Sat 08-Jun-13 08:38:35

Aw, thanks. Phew, really don't want to stump up for an iPad. I think all will be well eventually, just will take longer than for most.

zzzzz Sat 08-Jun-13 09:04:41

mrz can you link your evidence? I'm interested because I have been blown away by the iPad (and was more than a little sceptical). My ds has sn so that may impact our experience, but I'd love to read the source as it often gives us ideas for other intervention.

mrz Sat 08-Jun-13 09:08:27

Sorry but as far as I know it isn't available on line I just have hand outs from a SENCO training but I will see if I can locate it on line from the university

mrz Sat 08-Jun-13 09:20:52

It was all to do with the way a human can adapt very quickly and present things in different ways to suit the individual child whereas a computer programme has necessary limitations and can't for example recognise if the child is struggling because they are tired, ill or in a mood etc so doesn't respond.

The other thing is that the act of physically writing rather than using a keyboard is more effective at establishing the relationship between sounds and letters.

zzzzz Sat 08-Jun-13 09:40:39

I would say, that for children with communication difficulties, especially language disorder the very fact that there isn't a constant adaptation of the language around the task helps.

The act of physically writing isn't intrinsically better than a key board, but "physically" doing anything as part of the learning process is extremely powerful. I think children should "write" or perhaps more accurately create words before they "read".

This is a fabulous book full of tons of early reading stuff

www.amazon.co.uk/Montessori-Read-Write-literacy-children/dp/0091863511/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370680700&sr=1-2&keywords=Montessori+reading

You will need to stretch lots of the exercises for older children, but they are still great.

mrz Sat 08-Jun-13 10:00:07

From experience as the parent of a child with ASD and working with children with communication difficulties I would partly agree ... but I would also say that it can also be very limiting so has to be carefully balanced.

Brain research shows that using a keyboard uses a different part of the brain and is a less fine grained process.

If you google Professor Gregg Brooks What works for children with literacy difficulties there is an evaluation of interventions and he concludes ICT can be a huge motivator (which IMHO is the main usefulness of computer based learning) but that it isn't a substitute for a knowledgeable "teacher" (in the broadest sense of the word).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now