How many children out of 100 would be reading ORT yellow and blue books in Y2?

(152 Posts)
HotheadPaisan Sat 11-May-13 19:39:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Metbird Sun 12-May-13 09:46:15

Have you tried paired reading at home to encourage him to try new books? It is a method where DC get to choose books that interest them, but would be too difficult for them to access on their own. You read it together, quite literally saying each word at the same time. You let him lead with words that he is confident with - the, and - and you led with the more difficult words. Gradually you give him the space to lead more words, as he grows with confidence. If there are words he should know, but gets stuck, don't make a comment, just pause to give him the opportunity to have a go and move on. This is a really good method if you DS1 is struggling, because you can make a nice safe space for him to explore books, read at a speed that allows him to understand the story and gives him an opportunity to read a wider range of books. My DD2 has been struggling - dyslexic like me - and she had almost given up trying. Within a month of starting, she had started to love reading again and went up a level at school. She reads books about space and planets at home, books she would otherwise not be able to access. There is lots of information on it on the web. Good luck!

HotheadPaisan Sun 12-May-13 09:49:03

mrz Sun 12-May-13 10:04:30

Remind him that <wh> is a spelling for the sound /w/ so w-e-n

sea side split it into syllables for him - you mean need to remind him that i-e is a split spelling for the sound /ie/

It sounds as if he has gaps in his knowledge either because he has never been taught or because he hasn't learnt is difficult to tell.

CecilyP Sun 12-May-13 10:11:59

When you say he couldn't get helped, did he misread it as help-ed or did he have no idea? If it is the former, it just means he doesn't yet know how to deal with ed at the end of a word and can learn that. If the latter, it seems more of a problem with phonics. Definitely follow Metbirds advice to keep his confindence up, but also see his teacher to find out more about his difficulties.

Theas18 Sun 12-May-13 10:13:29

No knowledge of reading bands but if he's a year behind that's not so bad honestly. When DH taught year 3 in a standard state primary the range was level 1 to 4 plus in most subjects, and these were "normal kids" a couple on various SEN plans were lower . He had to differentiate, and did, to cover all levels.

HotheadPaisan Sun 12-May-13 10:15:43

CecilyP Sun 12-May-13 10:21:20

It sounds as if he may have a problem applying phonics despite enjoying the classes. Can you try him on some made up regular 3 letter words and see how he gets on - if he is willing, of course.

Metbird Sun 12-May-13 10:37:08

Do try and get him formally tested for dyslexia. Many dyslexics find it very difficult to apply the correct sounds to letters, despite 'knowing' the phonic sounds. There are other ways to learn to read, and it may mean you will need to try a variety of methods. Do speak to his teacher - they will be able to give you advice and reassure you that they are applying other methods too.

With the summer holidays coming up, you will also need to continue intensive reading practice over the hols, so he doesn't lose any ground. I use ReadingBox - an online children's book library over the summer when I haven't got access to the school's library.

Don't give up...he will catch up. I couldn't read at his age and now I am studying medicine. He has got a mum that loves him, who is prepared work with him to help.

Finally, if you want to see an example of paired reading, John Thaw's character, Mr Tom teaches William to read by paired reading in 'Goodnight Mister Tom'.

CalicoRose Sun 12-May-13 12:00:58

Thea - he's not a year behind, he's 2 years behind.

Being 2 years behind after 3 years at school is a problem. A big problem. It means he's learning at a third of the rate of everyone else.

It's certainly not just a case of differentiated teaching. Just because your DH had no problems teaching kids a year behind does not imply that the children made adequate progress.

While absolutely anythings possible the most likely scenario is that if the child is 2 years behind at end of Y2 they are likely to be more than 2 years behind end of Y3

HotheadPaisan Sun 12-May-13 12:06:29

CalicoRose Sun 12-May-13 12:44:35

It's so strange because from talking to him you'd think he was perfectly capable/ miles ahead but he's not, quite the opposite.

That's not at all strange. That's what most dyslexic children present like.

mrz Sun 12-May-13 12:57:57

You say he has a statement. Can I ask what his statement is for?

HotheadPaisan Sun 12-May-13 13:05:51

mrz Sun 12-May-13 13:25:02

My son also ASD didn't write until Y6 and I would suggest that it is his Autism with PDA co morbidity that is the problem (possibly added to by the streaming issue) rather than dyslexia

HotheadPaisan Sun 12-May-13 13:29:05

mrz Sun 12-May-13 13:34:59

I think you need to bring it up at his next review and ask what strategies they are going to put in place - with 2 5hours support they should be able to give him daily reading support. I would suggest 2 or 3 shorter sessions will probably be better than 1 long.

Metbird Sun 12-May-13 14:34:42

It is common for ASD to exist alongside other specific learning difficulties. He should be assessed for dyslexia separately since this diagnosis might impact the strategies that the teachers use. It is important to understand that dyslexia will make him much more prone to tiredness, anxiety and avoidance. If he is dyslexic too, he will not only have to cope with the visual disturbance of decoding text on the page, but also the issues of converting the written symbols into sounds.

If he find reading (and therefore school) exhausting, confusing, unreliable and frustrating it cannot be surprising if he tries to avoid it. My own DD has become an expert in avoidance - in fact reading a bit about PDA I'm wondering about her too....sad

mrz Sun 12-May-13 14:40:49

Unfortunately a diagnosis of dyslexia does not help a child learn to read

HotheadPaisan Sun 12-May-13 15:07:14

CecilyP Sun 12-May-13 17:25:08

There is a difference between knowing the basic sounds and being able to apply them to work out unknown words. If he has real difficulties in this area, it is not really lack of motivation that is the problem - so don't think he isn't trying. You really do need to talk to the school to see what the difficulties are. It is however reassuring that his writing is coming along.

Ferguson Sun 12-May-13 22:26:00

Hi - exTA (male) here :

This does not exactly match your DS difficulties, but it may possibly be of some use. I have posted this item to several different parents, so hope it might be of interest :

There used to be a kit of cards and letter blocks called "Soundworks", but it's probably discontinued now.

The theory was that, for some kids, it is easier to SPELL words than READ them, which is a later stage.

It started with three-letter words, with a vowel in the middle - "a" glued onto a board.

The child then looked at the individual letter blocks, and was asked to make the word "c a t". Then ask, how do we change "c a t" into "h a t", which letter do we need to change? Then change "hat" into "ham" (with an emphasis on the "mmmm" sound).

The order sounds were learnt in was similar to today's phonics teaching : s a m p t i c k h r d, etc

This approach was used with our SEN Yr2 children who had been unable to make progress with more conventional methods of learning to read. It is rather time-consuming, and ideally needs resources to be made, but it does work very well.

So, if you can find or make suitable letters, and a card with "a" glued in the middle, he may enjoy building the words himself. Use letters that are occurring in words in the books he is bringing home, and go on to make cards for the other vowels if it seems to work with "a".

He could have a notebook and write down words he made, compiling his own 'dictionary'.

The children I used it with were not, at that stage at least, considered dyslexic, but handling the letter blocks and building the words seemed to be a satisfying experience for them, aiding their progress.

HotheadPaisan Mon 13-May-13 06:48:36

HotheadPaisan Mon 13-May-13 06:51:39

lougle Mon 13-May-13 07:13:09

dd1 is at special school and she is struggling with phonics, too. She seems to use whole wood recognition, which is slow, inefficient and time-consuming.

She's just leaving year 2 and it's still on red band books (ORT2). But she's keen and she thinks she can read really well!

She wrote 'Im a rat Im a bargn. Im 1p' independently last week -a huge achievement- and got a head teacher's award grin

HotheadPaisan Mon 13-May-13 07:24:26

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now