How many children out of 100 would be reading ORT yellow and blue books in Y2?

(152 Posts)
HotheadPaisan Sat 11-May-13 19:39:48

I know DS1 is behind but just wondering. Interestingly, he is starting to write independently so he must be able to read a bit I'd have thought.

Anyway, just interested in where he is now. I am optimistic it will all come together in the future.

Actually my real question is what SATs level is this if reading is a separate category, I can't remember from his mixed P6/1c levels in Y1.

Periwinkle007 Sat 11-May-13 20:07:58

I can't really help but I would probably guess at it being a handful at most?

Yellow/blue is generally expected around age 5ish, they seem to be shown as either side of 5 in the different charts. SO I suppose for year 2 it would mean being about 18months to 2 years behind?

Does he struggle with any bit of it in particular? blending in general? struggles to remember the phonics themselves? lack of interest? has be had an eye test?

numbum Sat 11-May-13 20:13:46

It equates to a 1c/1b so he's about a year behind where he should be in y2. No idea about the how many in 100 would be at that level. I listen to a y2 class read and there are only 2 out of the class of 28 on blue level.

HotheadPaisan Sat 11-May-13 20:15:45

Thanks, I was clutching at the 5/6 straw and thinking a year or so behind. Would this mean still P levels in reading then or a 1c?

Motivation is a part of it, fear of getting it wrong and so on. He says phonics is one of his favourite subjects though so I think/hope he's taking it in and he will soon put it all together.

If he is starting to write, he must be able to read a bit.

HotheadPaisan Sat 11-May-13 20:18:42

Perfect, thanks, that's what I'd expect.

Eyes tested, slightly longsighted so board work might be a bit out of focus but not not much, he has a lot of 1-2-1 so I presume things are presented closely too.

Periwinkle007 Sat 11-May-13 20:22:01

fear of getting it wrong is perfectly understandable. Thats great he says it is one of his favourite subjects so he wants to be able to do it and is keen. can he verbally spell out a word? so if you said to him how would you spell door would he be able to sound it out? I am just wondering if there are any indicators for dyslexia or anything that could be preventing him from moving forwards at the rate he might be capable of if that makes sense.

if he is starting to write then that is good but again that could be affected if any visual processing problems too.

I don't really understand the NC levels but I would think to get a 1c he would have to be confident on blue and also obviously meet the other requirements.

HotheadPaisan Sat 11-May-13 20:28:09

He barely attempts blue I don't think, I think he could spell out some words phonetically, he wrote wundring the other day which I thought was good.

I'm not sure about dyslexia but I don't know a lot about it, I have thought about visual processing but I think it's more he's interested in the phonetic building blocks and maybe when he feels he understands those he'll apply them.

There is definitely a developmental disorder, similar to ASD, his verbal skills and vocabulary are very good, fine motor good and writing getting better. Reading is lagging the most though I think.

CalicoRose Sat 11-May-13 20:30:54

Why are you optimistic that it'll all come together in the end?

Are you aware that 20% of children leave primary unable to read fluently / properly?

And of course 50% don't get a C in GCSE English.

My DD was ahead of yours in Y2 (green band) - but still very behind, and is now looking like she'll catch up next year - in Y6.

But that has only been done with the most of enormous amount of work by me and school.

So be optimistic if that's your style - but you may also want to back up that optimism with an awful lot of hard work. Trusting school wasn't a very successful strategy for me, even though my DD did get plenty of 1:1 - from reception through to Y5.

Periwinkle007 Sat 11-May-13 20:36:37

ok so it sounds like he is really mainly on yellow which is still classed as a reception level for an average child.

PERSONALLY I would say you need to speak to the teacher and find out what he/she genuinely feels about where he is and how he is doing and what the problems are. It could very very easily be he is dyslexic, it could be something else but the earlier it is identified the better or he could slip further behind.

littleducks Sat 11-May-13 20:41:41

"Eyes tested, slightly longsighted so board work might be a bit out of focus "

DD is longsighted, it means that things are clearer further away. She has to wear glasses for reading and close up work (sewing/writing etc)

HotheadPaisan Sat 11-May-13 20:47:03

He is not going to respond to pressure or demands, task/reward has some limited success. He sees a clear distinction between home and school and that is difficult to address.

He loves being read to though and seems cognitively able so I feel it's just a matter of time and school keeping plugging away and us providing the things he needs at home in order to follow his interests.

He has started making activity books for example with made up worsearches in, this is all going in the right direction I think.

It took two years for him to settle into school at all so we just have to be patient and push him on when we can.

But I could be wrong. This is a transition year so it will be interesting to see what the next place thinks.

HotheadPaisan Sat 11-May-13 20:49:32

Must be shortsighted then, used to sit very close to screens but that's not so noticeable now, I think I will get another sight test done though. I wonder if he can track ok.

HotheadPaisan Sat 11-May-13 20:50:25

It was a -1 and -0.5 I think, really didn't seem that bad.

littleducks Sat 11-May-13 20:52:17

Might be worth checking out, I was just wondering if he actually was longsighted and this was affecting his reading. I went in to school and explained about dd's eyes etc but found as she had glasses the teachers just plonked her up close to the board which was the worst place for her.

HotheadPaisan Sun 12-May-13 08:28:28

He read a blue book to me last night, he will have mostly memorised it, he takes a long time to agree to change his books. He got all the words right but couldn't work out 'helped', he did spell out the letters but that doesn't really help with that word. Maybe he does just need to repeat and repeat books until he's learned the words that way. I do a lot of learning by repeatedly reading the same thing until it sticks.

It's all just not quite gelling yet and we have discussed other methods such as reading by sight but like I said he does like the phonics lessons. Would they have covered 'ed' as 't' by now? I should imagine the good readers and decoders understand this.

littlemiss06 Sun 12-May-13 08:36:45

My little girl is on yellow band as well and just been told she got a level 1c at the end of spring, on saying that she's been 1c since the end of year one. In our year two class there are only two children on this level of reading books

mrz Sun 12-May-13 09:17:15

the spelling <ed> can represent the sound /t/ would be taught in Y2 if the school is following Letters and Sounds (earlier in other programmes)

HotheadPaisan Sun 12-May-13 09:27:13

Thanks, he had these levels 18 months ago, not sure what Wc and Wb mean:
English - S&L–1b R – WcW-Wb

CalicoRose Sun 12-May-13 09:28:18

'ed' may or may not have been taught to the class - but I wouldn't expect a child who is struggling so much to have learnt it.

If he could read 'ed' words, he wouldn't be struggling nearly as much as you describe.....

If the class is split into groups for phonics, he may never have been taught it. But if the class isn't split into groups clearly the majority of what he's being taught isn't sticking.

HotheadPaisan Sun 12-May-13 09:31:18

Yes, I figured that was quite a difficult word, the others were much easier to decode. He didn't stumble or stop to decode any of them though, which I bet means he's just memorised it. I'll try him with some other similar sentences not from that book later.

HotheadPaisan Sun 12-May-13 09:33:29

Phonics is streamed, which was a whole other issue with constantly moving classes last year. Not sure if it's streamed withing the class or across the year this year. I think he likes the symbol work of phonics, applying it to blending and reading is a whole other thing.

HotheadPaisan Sun 12-May-13 09:37:34

Just did a quick test, he got angry and gave up. He sounds out every letter of a word, he can't blend or recognise the whole word.

mrz Sun 12-May-13 09:39:34

"helped" isn't a difficult word if a child has been taught unfortunately many schools are streaming for phonics which means some children simply aren't getting the chance to learn what they need ...madness! it makes me so angry!

HotheadPaisan Sun 12-May-13 09:43:41

Another test. I got him to tell me some simple sentences and then I typed some sentences with those words in. He gave me 1 and 3, I typed 2 and 4. He read 1, 2 and 3 fine, with 4 he couldn't read when or seaside.

1. I can see the sea

2. In the sea I can see a fish

3. Fishes in the sea

4. When I go to the seaside, I can see fishes in the sea

KatyDid02 Sun 12-May-13 09:45:38

Yellow, blue and green are ages 5-6.
Yellow is W/1C, Blue is 1C and Green is 1C/1B.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now