Are your dcs sitting the level 6 papers in the am or pm?

(25 Posts)
CouthyMow Sun 12-May-13 03:30:42

They are doing lvl 6 papers on the Thursday, then going bowling Friday morning, followed by Pizza Hut lunch.

DS1 is looking forward to that. HT has said it is all you can eat. I think he's forgotten that my DS1 was sent out of the class Chrismas party for eating too much...

(My DS1 is an 11yo, 5ft2, hit puberty, voice starting to break, needs to shave his 'tache football player...)

He has severely underestimated my DS1's ability to eat pizza...grin

CouthyMow Sun 12-May-13 03:26:03

Lvl 6 papers are to be taken all in one day here. Morning and afternoon.

EleanorFarjeon Sat 11-May-13 18:14:44

My ds is doing L6 tests and I'm pretty sure they're in the afternoons.

He is very unphased by it all & we've tried not to talk about it.

mimbleandlittlemy Sat 11-May-13 18:08:59

Ds's teacher asked the ones sitting L6 what they would prefer - break then do the L6 papers or sit them after lunch and all the children chose break then the L6 papers giving them free afternoons. Means ds has pretty full-on mornings but clear afternoons and a party on Friday!

5madthings Sat 11-May-13 14:29:01

Well thats the schools fault then and i am sorry that some schools do that, it is wrong. My boys school are quite laid back about it and it hasnt been made a big deal.

I think getting the paper out the way in the morning means its over and done with so they can enjoy their lunch break etc rather than be stressing about the exam to come.

Sats dont matter, plan a treat with her for afterwards to give her somwthing to look forward to and honestly once settled at high school they dont matter. Ds1 is in yr9 now and i dont think most of them can even remember whar they got in yr 6 sats.

fallenempires Sat 11-May-13 14:22:41

No pressure at all from me she knows that she can only do her best and that there's no such thing as failure!
It's been constant tests,tests,tests at school with the level 6-ers missing out on breaktimes etc.
Two of the poor children were in tears over it yesterdaysad
Thank god I refused to let her sit the maths paper as well!

Ours are in the afternoon.

5madthings Sat 11-May-13 11:29:49

Its only pressure if parents and the school.build it up. My boys school.has a very relaxed attitude and the children are not stressed at all.

I cannot see how taking it in the morning is more stressful than the afternoon. From my own pov with exams when doing gcses etc i prefered the morning to get it out of the way.

Anyway i have just said to ds2 as i did to ds1 that he should try his best and thats all that matters and in the big scheme of things it doesnt matter, once they have been in high school half a term and done their own assesments no one cares what you got for your sats in yr 6.

spanieleyes Sat 11-May-13 09:10:59

Our lunch is from 12-12.45 and it's a bit of a squeeze fitting the normal tests in anyway, they are squeezed around Collective worship, break and lunch preparations ( the tests are held in the hall and we need to be out by 11.30 so they can set up for lunch!) Trying to fit the L6 tests in too would be impossible!

christinarossetti Sat 11-May-13 08:58:09

I'd always prefer to have an exam or test in the morning to get it over with. If children are getting stressed, maybe the school thinks it's best to get it out of the way in the morning?

KingscoteStaff Sat 11-May-13 08:57:22

Our children are sitting them in the morning, after break, as we find they perform better then than after lunch. Our school has lunch 1-2 - maybe the pm slot is better with an earlier lunch?

DottyDot Sat 11-May-13 08:56:50

Don't know! Ds1 probably knows though so that's alright. Does it really matter..?

jellysmum77 Sat 11-May-13 08:52:43

We always found that the children in our school performed better in the mornings than in the afternoons. Maybe this is the case in your Child's school and that is why they are doing them in the morning?

ByTheSea Sat 11-May-13 08:50:06

I know she is sitting them but I have no idea when.

christinarossetti Sat 11-May-13 08:44:54

Why is sitting in the morning more pressure than in the afternoon?

5318008 Sat 11-May-13 08:38:56

All level 6s after lunch

spanieleyes Sat 11-May-13 08:37:31

All mine are afternoons.

littlemiss06 Sat 11-May-13 08:07:32

Ours are afternoon

All level 6 are in the afternoon at our school.

fallenempires Sat 11-May-13 00:06:26

5madthings yes i think it does matter as it's too much pressure on children of such a young age.
Thank goodness other MN-ers dcs are at least sitting them in the afternoon as recommended on the DOE website.

TheWave Sat 11-May-13 00:05:46

Mornings after the level 5s and breaktime.

nipersvest Fri 10-May-13 23:52:26

afternoon for the level 6's

Afternoon

5madthings Fri 10-May-13 23:46:49

I have no idea when ds2 will sit the levrl 6 papers, he is one of eight children taking them. I know next wk is sats but no idea what days/times they are doing them. Does it matter?!

fallenempires Fri 10-May-13 23:44:45

Our primary have decided that the few children sitting the level 6 papers should take them in the morningsadangry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now