ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Year 6 SATS. What's going in the clear pencil case?

(104 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Fri 10-May-13 09:49:40

I can't remember what DS1 had even though it was only 3 years ago.

I am sure there is a note from school somewhere if I rummage. blush

Calculators are supplied I know that.

Sparklingbrook Sun 12-May-13 12:00:02

I have found DS1's old pencil case but that was my standby sollution beautiful. I have been to Wilko's and got nice new pencils, pencils, an eraser and a maths set.

DS2 is currently doing SPAG revision. sad

beautifulgirls Sat 11-May-13 17:23:18

Why not just use a clear plastic bag - cheaper and easier than locating a clear pencil case.

Sparklingbrook Sat 11-May-13 15:48:49

We have never had to supply exercise books, just pens, pencils, maths sets etc.

Feenie Sat 11-May-13 15:01:43

It's very unusual not to, ime.

deeplydullmnnickname Sat 11-May-13 14:27:03

As an aside to the OP, do most primaries still provide pencils and exercise books then? Just curious.

Feenie Sat 11-May-13 10:15:13

They'd copy them before posting them anyway Feenie. Imagine being the school which lost all the SATs papers.

They most certainly do not! There have been several cases of missing papers from markers cars, etc!

Yep, I remember all that, Miaow - we had about half of ours re-marked, and there were differences of 2 levels in some cases. confused

MiaowTheCat Sat 11-May-13 09:51:36

The on-screen marking thing they've been doing for yonks with GCSEs (MIL is a GCSE marker)... stuff gets scanned in and then markers just call up their allocation and work through it on their computer (the maths has a load of things like on-screen protractors and rulers and overlays for questions requiring drawing things out that you can call up and drag over to the paper as required).

Just make sure the pencils have points on 'em for the spelling test - used to make you go cross eyed trying to work out if it was an a o or e in a word when you were marking one where the child was writing with the world's bluntest pencil like some are obsessed with trying to do!

I mark the standard level 3-5 English and I'd stop if they switched that to on-screen marking to be honest - I really struggle to process text on-screen compared to on paper (like properly process, rather than just skim reading crap on internet forums).

"How is scanning several thousand papers quicker than just simply taking said papers from A to B?" ... dare I mention the year ETS ran the tests? grin I was getting UPS guys showing up at my door for a good month afterwards having been sent round every single marker on the offchance they had some of the lost test papers still hanging around their houses - and I got at least two completely random schools' papers delivered to me! (Had to do on-screen standardisations that year and they were really badly scanned and bloody awful to mark through)

clam Sat 11-May-13 09:22:32

StationERY!

As you were...

Sparklingbrook Sat 11-May-13 08:46:47

it would take forever to copy the papers wouldn't it?

spanieleyes Sat 11-May-13 08:43:00

But schools send the papers on to the markers direct. We are given the envelope and the address label. And schools DO NOT copy the papers before sending them off, that would be a clear case of maladministration and all the results would be voided. We shouldn't even LOOK at them ( although I did have a Head who would go through the maths papers to get an indication of the levels they should get shock )

Email is quicker than post Feenie, which was my point. But putting a script into an industrial copier and then forwarding the file to the relevant marker is not that much slower than putting it in an envelope and labelling it with the right address.

Tournament Sat 11-May-13 06:46:46

They'd copy them before posting them anyway Feenie. Imagine being the school which lost all the SATs papers.

Feenie Sat 11-May-13 00:25:49

How is scanning several thousand papers quicker than just simply taking said papers from A to B?

Am I being thick? confused

It's quicker (indubitably) presumably cheaper (depending on the precise nature of your workflow and staffing costs), and perhaps less likely to get lost.

Feenie Sat 11-May-13 00:09:29

More sensible than Parcelforce? confused

What's the difference, apart from a load of faff scanning?

Yes that'll be it, scanning them for sending to markers working from home.

Quite sensible really.

Feenie Sat 11-May-13 00:04:15

Can I just highlight the difference between 'stationery' and 'stationary' at this point? As homage to the SPAG test, like smile

snice Sat 11-May-13 00:01:06

save on postage?

Feenie Sat 11-May-13 00:00:29

I suppose that would explain it, snice.

Doesn't explain why, though! Still confused

TheDetective Fri 10-May-13 23:59:23

DS1 has never owned a pencil case. Or taken any stationary to school. Ever.

No instructions here.

So I'll just send him in, and hope he remembers his brain unlikely. We have got a free breakfast club though.

I'll probably just check with the head my mum tomorrow! I doubt any of this palaver is needed though!

cece Fri 10-May-13 23:58:51

That's the way I read it. Surely has not been introduced to save money hmm

snice Fri 10-May-13 23:58:20

italics fail!

quote is from the Assessment and Reporting arrangements

snice Fri 10-May-13 23:57:11

^The English grammar, punctuation and spelling test and the level 6 tests are scanned and marked on screen; STA therefore recommends that children participating in these tests complete their scripts using a black pen or 2B pencil so that markers are able to read their answers. Children should not use gel pens or glitter pens as they do not scan well for
on-screen marking^

so it sounds like the papers aren't physically sent to markers but will be scanned and e-mailed to them do you think?

Feenie Fri 10-May-13 23:52:17

grin

But it is so weird, isn't it?

snice Fri 10-May-13 23:49:57

how odd-perhaps they think everyone will only be able to afford 1 new pencil so they specify the spag one grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now