Uniform colours

(25 Posts)
BlackeyedSusan Mon 20-May-13 23:01:43

anything but white.

Phoebe47 Sun 19-May-13 19:10:14

My children wear a green school sweatshirt (with logo) and a red polo shirt. The green is a lovely soft green and the uniform looks lovely and a bit different from most of the local schools which are mainly blue or navy sweatshirts and white polos.

CouthyMow Sun 12-May-13 11:07:03

Red. My DC's have attended schools with all manner of uniform colours, and red discolours least quickly IME.

Pale blue is a righteous PITA if you have tall DC's, as once they get past size 10-11, they are only sold in M&S and Next...

(5ft2, 11yo, Y6 DS1 is currently in age 15 pale blue polo's, and I can seemingly only get that in Next.)

Next pale blue polo's wash and wear the best. Tesco ones fade really quickly and go bobbly, Asda ones go all baggy and misshapen after a few months (usually just after their 100 day thing, which is actually 100 days after purchase, not 100 school days...). Sainsbury's ones are OK, but come up quite slim fitting, and do fade, though not as quickly as Tesco ones...

Next ones last and last and last! My DS1's hand me downs do DS1, DS2, my friend's eldest DD and her DS, and still look like new! Well worth the extra cost IMO.

I'm not sure it would go tbh. I'd go for red polo shirts. Ds wears a red polo shirt and red sweatshirt for nursery and looks fine. Plus they can be shoved in the wash together smile

UniS Wed 08-May-13 20:14:09

Pale blue shirts last a couple of days on my lad - but only one if he's been playing football on the grass. They wash well.

Ixia Tue 07-May-13 23:36:01

Our uniform is red sweatshirts, with pale blue or red polos. The red sweatshirt and blue polo look suprisingly nice , but reds can be washed together as the previous poster mentioned. I buy polos from asda and matalan. The matalan ones seem to hold their colour better, but the asda ones are a little bit thicker.

Enormously clever pickled!

pickledginger Tue 07-May-13 12:26:06

I'd go for red so you can wash them together with the jumpers.

Badvoc Tue 07-May-13 12:23:50

Red or white.
Tbh if you wash them on a 60 degree wash with vanish in the wash too its fine.

noramum Tue 07-May-13 12:19:09

Honestly, you will see food and paint stains on pale blue equally good than on white.

DD wears white (compulsory) and we had one shirt where I couldn't get the marks out. So far she always had M&S ones and none discoloured. I always wash white together, never with other colours though.

Startail Tue 07-May-13 11:06:15

In that case I'd go for reasonable quality pale blue and be thankful to escape the grey, beige or greeny yellow that white ones go. Especially the extra irritation when shirt and collar discolour differently. Really helpful for girls in V necked cardigans and in summer, hence our lot swapping to shirts.

Tingalingle Tue 07-May-13 11:02:20

Pale grey is pretty good with red. Mind you, you could just buy white and wait for them to go grey.

froginthepond Tue 07-May-13 11:00:47

Thats okay FP smile Arse end of knowhere here and about 20 years behind the rest of the world.

Fizzypop001 Tue 07-May-13 10:59:12

sorry thought you were in england

froginthepond Tue 07-May-13 10:55:58

Thanks AS think i just got my answer smile

AuntieStella Tue 07-May-13 10:54:46

I think pale blue would be fine with red. And you might want to get some red ones too for hot days when the jumper comes off, as red seems to be the unifying colour.

froginthepond Tue 07-May-13 10:49:56

Oh meant to say the uniform is not at all compulsory, i just think it looks smart and saves ds good clothes from getting wrecked. We are also in rural Scotland and i dont think its even enforceable here. Im not going to buy tshirts until end of summer holidays was really just wondering if pale blue poloshirt would go with red school jumper smile Im a planner and am just thinking ahead.

Red goes with red! Or navy. Any really.

Try online. Landsend do lots of great quality polos which will really last you well.
Any with a polyester mix will be tough as houses

try here

froginthepond Tue 07-May-13 10:44:03

Thanks folks, not all the kids wear the uniform, not all wear polo shirts underneath either. I have seen red poloshirts and white poloshirt colors under the jumpers. There is no shirt and tie or blazer either it is a very relaxed countryside middle of knowhere school. From what i have seen uniform wearing is probably about 70% of the school and often worn with wellies (farming kids). I can ask the teacher later today if pale blue is okay for a polshirt but i was more wondering if pale blue even went with red.

Startail Tue 07-May-13 10:44:02

What ever colour you go for buy the two cheapest packs you can find from different shops. Buy more of the ones that wash best.

Some polo shirt collars insist on discolouring and some don't.

What you pay has nothing to do with it. Our £7 logo'd ones went grey in two washes. No one bothered logo'd polo shirts after the first lot.

White shirts/blouses are far far better, but YR can't cope with the buttons. By juniors, I think all our girls and most of the boys had given up on polo shirts.

Fizzypop001 Tue 07-May-13 10:41:57

is it not abit early to be getting uniform now your child will have grown abit by september my childs school have told me to wait until july which i agree with and no your child has to wear the uniform your school has set so if they said blue poloshirts are ok then fine otherwise they can send your child home if in incorrect uniform sorry if im wrong if your not a parent sending your child to a new school. some schools sell uniform as well but you will have the chance to buy it at the meetings they set with the parents

AuntieStella Tue 07-May-13 10:30:55

You might want to have a look at what other pupils are wearing. If your DC is a conformist, he might not want to be different.

All my DC have white shirts or polo shirts, so I know what you mean about keeping them clean. But as I don't have a choice, I just get on with it.

my2bundles Tue 07-May-13 10:23:11

What colour have the school specified? Usually they specify the colour needed for the entire uniform, my son's is navy sweatshirt, grey trousers, white polo and black shoes.

tiggytape Tue 07-May-13 10:22:46

confused
If the school uniform is white poloshirts, then you'll have to get white ones. You can very cheap ones in multi packs in supermarkets.

I've never seen navy ones anyway I don't think. Well not plain, school ones.

froginthepond Tue 07-May-13 10:15:10

Hi, i have just ordered some school jumpers for ds the school colour is red. I dont want to put him in white poloshirts as they will only stay white for about a week. I like the look of the sky blue pastel ones do you think the colour would go though?? I did think of navy as it would be easy to keep clean but i cant seem to find places that sell them for the same price as the supermarkets. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now