Does your children's school have a religious assembly every day?

(60 Posts)
reddaisy Fri 03-May-13 22:58:43

I am an atheist. Our DD is due to start primary school in September and her school is not a CoE school but it holds collective worship assemblies every day of a Christian nature. I am firmly of the belief that schools should be secular. I know I can withdraw her from assembly but DD would not thank me for that and offer our own views at home (so far I have managed to explain that some people believe in God, that a lot of people don't and that she can decide what she thinks herself)

What is normal in schools these days? I think daily collective worship is excessive and frankly is pisses me off that my DD will be indoctrinated in this way at school.

You're right - I used the wrong word. I simply meant a state school that had no affiliation to any faith or church.

exoticfruits Sun 05-May-13 10:29:41

Unfortunately so much is written about faith schools that people assume that schools that are not faith are secular. In reality there is little difference and it is quite possible that a non faith school can be more religious than a faith school. It depends largely on the Head.

noramum Sun 05-May-13 10:31:01

DD (non-church school) has a daily assembly but it is not religious every day. Additionally they have RE lessons where they cover the main religions so she came home with the story behind Diwali, Hannukah, and Ramadan in addition to Easter, Christmas and recently Noah's Ark.

At the moment, she is nearly 6, she believes in God. But I think she believes in him equally like she thinks the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny and Father Christmas are real.

Neither DH or I are religious but I respect religions and I want DD to learn about them. As long as she is also taught that people don't believe in god and some believe in different ones I don't care if the school teaches RE.

Some of her friends grow up in religious families and DD asked why we didn't arrange a christening for her. We explain that we believe each person can make their own minds up when they are adults as long as they know what they want and learned about it.

exoticfruits Sun 05-May-13 10:35:55

Faith schools have to teach all religions in RE.

Whathaveiforgottentoday Sun 05-May-13 13:20:36

As an atheist I dislike the inclusion of religious worship in schools but the secondary schools I worked in loosely adhere to the regulations but have a moral theme in form and assemblies. I'm not so sure of the practise in primaries but I do know that my dd spouts some stuff about god, but we discuss it and hopefully over time she will learn to evaluate it for herself. as a previous poster says, better to know your enemy.
Also, I said the Lord's Prayer every day at school yet I'm totally atheist so clearly did me no harm at all and in fact I miss the singing as schools no longer sing hymns. Still love 'when a knight won his spurs'.

jamtoast12 Sun 05-May-13 21:14:46

Our rc school only has assembly once per week!

Haberdashery Sun 05-May-13 23:22:24

Not all schools make their collective worship explicitly religious or explicitly related to any one religion. DD's school has prayers in daily assembly, for instance, but the children are invited to 'pray to your god if you have one and if not then think about the words of the prayer'. As the prayers tend to be of the entirely uncontroversial nature of being grateful for having good things in our lives and being compassionate towards others, I don't have a problem with this, as an atheist who considers those principles worthy and important.

Haberdashery, is that a church school?

Haberdashery Mon 06-May-13 20:18:00

No, just a normal community primary.

Hulababy Mon 06-May-13 20:25:55

DD goes to an independent primary, which has a CofE leaning, and yes - they have a daily assembly which is religious, involves prayer and hymns.

I work in an infant school - state, non church school and with a very truly mixed intake. We have assembly 3 times a week but there is no religious element at all. No prayers and all songs are generic assembly type songs and no reference to any form of god, etc. They talk about moral/ethical type stuff, just without a religious leaning.

They do, however, do a Christmas nativity and they recognise Easter too. We also have an Eid party, and we cover Diwali and Hannukai too, and Chinese New Year - all outside of RE lessons due to the nature of the children's backgrounds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now